SF P90

3mw

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a SF G3 and I'm not very impressed with the football shaped pattern from the P90 lamp. Is this normal or did I receive a defective lamp? Thanks

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds normal, but can't tell for sure without a beamshot.

I've heard they started frosting the P90's now, though I've not seen one. I think that's unfortunate, but alot of people don't like the beam pattern of the P90. Personally I think it's fine and prefer the unfrosted bulbs for real world use.

Is yours frosted or not?

lightemup

Flashaholic*
If you look down to this thread just below yours at the moment:

" Anyone with a SF M4 have a beam shape that looks like a football?"

There are already a few answers.

In short: the oval is how they are meant to be. Size15 has said it is related to the filament being a 'bar' instead of a 'dot.' Size15 also said that this arrangement is used to maximise the effectiveness of the reflector/bulb combination.

When white wall hunting it is noticeable, but imho when i'm actually using the light it is not noticeable.

willrx

Enlightened
I recently purchased a SF G3 and I'm not very impressed with the football shaped pattern from the P90 lamp. Is this normal or did I receive a defective lamp? Thanks

I felt the same way until I learned that was the way it was designed to perform. My solution was 2x17500 and an LF EO-9. Mine doesn't get much use so the 17500's don't get beaten too badly.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
What some of the posts above mean is that, depending on what you're using it for, the oval-like beam can be an advantage. Depends...YMMV...the LF replacement lamps are really, really nice.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a pretty efficient medicine for this problem: Lumens Factory lamp assemblies.

mdocod

Flashaholic
like others are saying, if the beam shape is really bothering you, stick the P90 in your spares box and switch to a LF lamp, SR-9 will be an almost direct replacement for brightness and runtime but should have a slightly "prettier" beam.

3mw

Newly Enlightened
Sounds normal, but can't tell for sure without a beamshot.

I've heard they started frosting the P90's now, though I've not seen one. I think that's unfortunate, but alot of people don't like the beam pattern of the P90. Personally I think it's fine and prefer the unfrosted bulbs for real world use.

Is yours frosted or not?

Yes, the tip is frosted.