shaped beam bike lights??

jawnn

Enlightened
Are there any?? I need a bright light but only if it has a shaped beam. I may need to buy a motorcycle head lamp.

Moderator Edit
Removed unnecessary call for violence.

jawnn

Enlightened
I put strobe lights on the side and rear of my cycle truck. But I still need to see the road.
strobes for crossing stop light intersections

Attachments

• strobes for crossing stop light intersections.JPG
    strobes for crossing stop light intersections.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 132

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few out there.
Outbound lighting has a road edition. I believe fenix and a couple of other companies as well.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outbound has a few different models. There are pics of the beams floating around. The street version has a cutoff and their trail has a mix of spot and flood. They also have a helmet mounted and I think another version or two.

fuyume

Enlightened
Many, many models out there. Fenix makes bicycle specific lights, so does Nitecore. Then there are the traditional bicycle brands, like Cat Eye (I have a Cat Eye Auto Rapid 3 taillight on my bike).

There is a German industry standard for bicycle lights to prevent blinding oncoming traffic, it's called "StZVO" for Straßenverkehrs-Zulassungs-Ordnung (Translation: Road Traffic Licensing Regulations). Look for bicycle-specific lights that conform to this specification.

As for me, I'm quite happy with my Fenix PD36 TAC strapped to my handlebar with the ALB-10 mount. I only use it at 150 lumens or 350 lumens, which is at most about half the brightness of a typical automotive headlamp, and I point it at the ground immediately in front of my bicycle. I only use the 350 lumen mode when going downhill, since the extra speed demands extra light. Normally, being partly disabled and unable to pedal hard, the 150 lumen mode is enough.

I have been thinking of fabricating a removable hood for the PD36 TAC that would act much like the hood on the Nitecore BR25, to cut off the bean pattern at the top and reflect some light downward directly on the bicycle. It should be pretty easy to do with black ABS and/or white PVC plumbing fittings.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any?? I need a bright light but only if it has a shaped beam. I may need to buy a motorcycle head lamp.

It's amazing that cars don't just run bicycles down. When idiot cyclists refuse to lower their flood lights.

It's amazing idiot car drivers don't run each other down, their headlights are a million times worse than a cyclist's light.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i ride and i drive, and there are idiots on both sides. sometimes idiots on bikes ride in the middle of the road slowing down traffic on purpose, sometimes cars push bikes off the road on purpose.

Moderator Edit
Removed a quoted section that contained moderated content

LEDphile

Enlightened
sometimes idiots on bikes ride in the middle of the road
In most places in the US, that's completely legal on roads that are not limited-access - bicycles are typically considered vehicles same as cars. And depending on the width of the road, it may not be safe to pass a bicycle riding along the edge of the road, so the center of the lane is the safest place for the cyclist in that scenario (it prevents the unsafe passing scenario).

And likewise, in most places in the US, deliberately running another road user off the road is illegal and depending on the circumstances, could even be considered attempted murder.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flipping a bird to a driver is also legal, but it can get you shot where i live. just because it is legal does not mean it is not dangerous in real world. i ride a bike, an e scooter, and a drive too, so i see it from all perspectives. but thanks for the cool story.
oh, btw, here is the attitude of a state representative about bicycles in my city, and i understand her perfectly, like i said before, there are a holes on all sides
State Senator Diane Savino can empathize (her district covers a swath of Staten Island, as well as Bath Beach, Gravesend, and Coney Island in Brooklyn) and today she offered her remedy for clearing the two-wheeled insects from her windshield: "Hey, find a f*cking bike lane and get in it."

Riding in the street is not only legal, it what you're SUPPOSED TO DO. It's illegal to ride on sidewalks and even more dangerous to be riding in the gutter of the street. I don't think you're supposed to flip the bird to people, so your statement is pointless.

Judging by your comments and your state rep's attitude, seems like you live in a real $#!+hole. I'd suggest moving somewhere where aren't complete psychopaths left and right for following the law.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Riding in the street is not only legal, it what you're SUPPOSED TO DO.
yea, including following rules, traffic impeding is not legal,
i like my place just fine, thanks.

seems like everyone knows their rights, but ignore their responsibilities,

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, including following rules, traffic impeding is not legal,
i like my place just fine, thanks.

seems like everyone knows their rights, but ignore their responsibilities,
Traffic impeding? When you said in the middle of the road, did you mean just that or the middle of the lane? I feel you should clear that up to avoid any misunderstanding.

Bikes are supposed to follow every law and rule of the road a car has(except speed limit obviously.) That includes taking a lane if there isn't one specifically for bicycles. It's no different than slow farming equipment on the road, except you can't bully them around like some thug.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Bikes are supposed to follow every law and rule of the road a car has(except speed limit obviously.) That includes taking a lane if there isn't one specifically for bicycles. It's no different than slow farming equipment on the road, except you can't bully them around like some thug.
Bikes are also supposed to follow the speed limit, although it is perhaps worth reminding drivers that a speed limit is supposed to be an upper bound, not a target or a lower bound.

(the only traffic law I've seen an exception for specifically for bicycles is the requirement to signal for turns, and that exception was essentially "you don't have to signal if you need both hands to control the bicycle")

Last edited: