AA - NiMh -
AA - NiCd -

AAA - alkaline -
AAA - NiMh -
AAA - NiCd -

9V - alkaline -
9V - Lithium -

6V lantern - alkaline -

I'm trying to figure out how often I need to replace "backup" batteries in my ready bag and on my EDC list.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non-rechargeable alkaline cells (in all sizes) are claimed by manufacturers to retain 90% of their original charge for 4-5 years, making them a good second choice (after Lithium) for shelf life.

Rechargeable cells like NiCd and NimH are not thought of in terms of "shelf life". They are grouped in terms of "charge retention"-their ability to retain-or hold a given charge.

Generally speaking, the Nicad will lose about 1% of it's remaining charge per day, and NimH will lose about 2% per day.
-called "self-discharge"- just like a car battery.

*Note that the rechargeables lose a percentage of their remaining charge each day, so the loss is not linear..
-i.e.:30 days would NOT mean a 60% loss (for the NimH).
hope these generalities were of some help.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also add that most of the rechargeable NiCad and NiMh batteries that I've used over the years usually go bad in about 3-4 years. I would consider "bad" as not being able to hold, at a very minimum, a ~1.1Volt charge. I wasn't sure if this is the sort of info that you were looking for but just thought I would throw it out there just in case it helps.

BTW, does anyone happen to know about how long those sealed lead acid batteries that are the shape of a D battery hold a charge and how long they last before they refuse to take a charge? I just thought that those might be cool to use in a flashlight mod. Just imagine the extreme whacking power of a Mag filled with lead batteries!!!
smile.gif

sstrauss

Newly Enlightened
I recently recieved a catlog that had plastic battery containers and the blurb mentioned storing them in the refriegrator. Does cold storage affect the shelf life? what about freezing?
Scott

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened
Storing batteries at a reduced temperature slows down the chemical reaction within a battery and will increase their shelf life. But by taking batteries out of the freezer then putting them in a device you'll likely have condensation because of the temperature differences. I personally wouldn't bother as I just use my refrigerator for storing food.

This has been discussed here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001004#00 0000