Sheriff Deputy searching for a patrol duty light

Drizden

Newly Enlightened
I work out in the county lots country hills trees 1000 square miles in east Texas area, I get calls a lot that lead out into the woods and of course houses barns pastures ect, my desire is a duty size light with a long throw sharp beam , some spill but very bright blinding throw for long distance, it can have a charger or use a 18650 battery or batteries, also I'd like to have the beveled rough edges for self defense max price range $300.00 1000 plus luma.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the Malkoff Hound Dog, 1000 lumens, illuminates to 1000', buy it with the MD4 body which takes 2 x 18650's. About $170 + shipping. Loosen the head and it drops to 70-100 lumens which is better for checking documents etc.

I wouldn't go for a crenelated bezel for duty use as we get issued better devices for disabling crims, and you could land yourself in deep water doing someone serious injury with a device not issued or approved for use by your department.

cullen.salisbury

Newly Enlightened
Fenix Tk 75 no question it has all you want for vast areas it would put a assailant on his butt till you can confirm without turning the light away it's a search light I live in Oregon vast areas to search for any thing you could name and it makes me feel like I have control of my environment that light would make you very happy in the lines of stressful situation

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

MIKES250R

Enlightened
Fenix Tk 75 no question it has all you want for vast areas it would put a assailant on his butt till you can confirm without turning the light away it's a search light I live in Oregon vast areas to search for any thing you could name and it makes me feel like I have control of my environment that light would make you very happy in the lines of stressful situation

The TK75 is a good place to start, but I would seriously look at one of Vinh's TK75vnkt(killer throw mod) with an extension kit for increased runtime, or maybe a TK61vn.2 with battery extension. In fact, you should go to Vinh's thread on this forum on the custom/modded section. That is a great place to look around and learn a lot. He and the Vinny groupies are very knowledgeable and eager to share their ideas about what might best meet your needs. I have several of Vinh's lights and all are super. You can buy a modded light from Vinh for about the same as you would pay retail for a new light and get nearly twice the performance. His lights are fantastic bargains and he is a nice guy to deal with. Highly recommended!

Mike

Last edited:

cullen.salisbury

Newly Enlightened
I agree with mike vin is the man but you can buy the extension and you will have Great Warranty on your product vin cannot do that for you and if you want to have you reliability no modding should be done I wouldn't if some one had a rifle on me but vin would make that insanely bright you need no bull make the dark your ***** but life of it is going to depreciat working a led to its max and the 75 just alone would drop any one to shut up and listen up I have not met a person over all the sites I've been on the there tk did not dominate the night let alone modding it vin with out a doubt is a highly credited man but once you mess with what works fine in a time of a struggle or so forth wow it doesn't come through
evahu5y2.jpg

cullen.salisbury

Newly Enlightened
That is a normal sized pen just like any other weighting device so ad 2 inches and that's what your looking at in size

Ladp.1

Newly Enlightened
Lack of punctuation makes a post almost unreadable. Punctuation exists for a very important reason.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is no punctuation does that mean someone has had too much caffiene?

SkyLumen SL1

Right now the lens/bezel area is not waterproof but the thing throws great just on the very long running, low setting. The high setting goes as far as I can see, as best as I can tell so far. It weighs about 320 grams with battery and is a little over 7 inches long with a reflector OD of about 2.3 inches. The material components do not scream 'high end' but the heat management is Stellar. Security, Search and Rescue, and rural folks would also benefit from this piece. If you always stay close to your vehicle and use the light for short periods of time, then a heavy light is no big deal. If you need to use your light for extended foot patrol, then the more compact size and lighter weight are very practical. I also have Oveready hosts with Vinh crafted dropins that handle almost all of my needs and they weigh 150-180 grams with much smaller reflectors and shorter lengths.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman T60CS- 2100 lumens, uses 3 18650s, maximum beam distance:1,222 ft., $205
Nitecore Tiny Monster models TM11 ($200, 2000 lumens), TM15 ($300, 2650 lumens)
Olight SR95- 2000 lumens, uses 7.4 volt 7800 mAh battery (li-ion), includes charging system, maximum beam distance 720 meters, $300
For $50 over your limit, you could get the Olight SR96 that puts out 4800 lumens
The Sunwayman and Nitecore lights would require you to purchase batteries and a charger which could cost near or over $100. The Olight comes with the charging system built into the light. Unfortunately, none of these lights come with a strike bezel. Be aware that any l.e.d. light over 1,000 lumens will probably require more than one l.e.d., meaning you will get a lot of flood light but not as much throw as a single source light. The single l.e.d.s that are over 1,000 lumens are all designed for flood, not throw. The way to get maximum throw is with an H.I.D. spotlight which requires warmup time and will not have multiple brightness settings. For a duty light for multiple purposes, you'll probably want to stick to l.e.d. lights.

cullen.salisbury

Newly Enlightened
I'm on my ipad and just helping some one out with a decision that could cost him his life and I'm not some one that does not know what they are talking about
durebube.jpg

cullen.salisbury

Newly Enlightened
That is a little of my love of flash lights big ones not in there but go ahead and look there for the most part high end flashlights that every body can agree with for the most part lets just say it's not my first rodeo and are we here for correct Grammar or e love of pointing some one in the direction of a knowledgable answer from experience L.O.X.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
That is a little of my love of flash lights big ones not in there but go ahead and look there for the most part high end flashlights that every body can agree with for the most part lets just say it's not my first rodeo and are we here for correct Grammar or e love of pointing some one in the direction of a knowledgable answer from experience L.O.X.

Nice lights, but if you have experience worth sharing, at least present it in a form that's easy to read.

+1 on the Malkoff Hound Dog suggestion.

cullen.salisbury

Newly Enlightened
So you are just hear to argue get a life very negative and on top of it you are trying to pick a fight yeah tomahawk some one lol how old are you and do you have any reason but being here I think not you are rude and you are causing problems hmmmmm I think some one needs to get a life rude rude you went out of your way to be rude good job then you say a hound dog modded to right so he can't get a dollar back if something went wrong and lasers on it and a net to catch people you need to leave this sight your rude your not even after trying to help him your just hear to talk smack wow you must have a pathetic life really pathetic

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been five days without a response from the OP. I suggest you all let the thread alone until (if) he comes back.

CPF also frowns on discussion of lights as weapons...they are meant for illumination, not fighting. If he is really a deputy, he should have all manner of tools that are superior for self defense anyway. Taser, gun, baton, pepper spray, etc. Any of those would be a much better tool for that purpose.

cullen.salisbury, if anyone is rude, it is you. I'm guessing the moderators of this forum will be along shortly to inform you to delete or edit your posts. If you want to post here, you need to be respectful of others...

It is also clear you don't know anything about Vinh...so you really shouldn't comment if you aren't familiar with his services. He offers a BETTER warranty than any manufacturer I have seen. If a Vinh light has a problem, he will take care of it. He offers complete refunds to anyone who wants one, even if it isn't defective. And his repair time is MUCH faster than any company I've dealt with...one day from receiving it to shipping it back to the customer is nothing unusual. Again, unless you have direct knowledge (which you obviously do not) you should keep your opinion to yourself. It doesn't help anybody when you share opinions that have no basis in fact.

Last edited: