SHOT SHOW 2023

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ProTac 2 intros (which have already been shipping) are known here, but I hadn't noticed anything about the new 'hi' CRI Stinger yet. It might be some people's idea of what a Stinger should be in 2023(?)

EDIT: (not a bad output / time curve, either)

Last edited:

DRW

Enlightened
... It might be some people's idea of what a Stinger should be in 2023(?) ...
Except it's got the useless strobe mode. I sure hope the user doesn't have to cycle through it to get from low to high or vice versa.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except it's got the useless strobe mode. I sure hope the user doesn't have to cycle through it to get from low to high or vice versa.
I hadn't noticed, and don't approve of it personally, but I can practically guarantee their professional focus groups demanded that it be available.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hadn't noticed, and don't approve of it personally, but I can practically guarantee their professional focus groups demanded that it be available.
It should be noted that this is not a 'clean sheet' redesign / re-imagining of the Stinger. That is the 2020. I view this as a (relatively) small revision to the other existing / current LED Stingers to add the warmer CT and high CRI. Otherwise, the selection of relative output levels, inclusion of 'strobe', etc., etc. appear entirely consistent with the other current LED Stingers. They didn't want to fix what wasn't broke (in their opinion). If you liked the existing Stinger design / features but wanted something warmer w/ better CRI, this is probably the Stinger for you. If you didn't like the features of the other current Stingers (strobe, relative output levels, etc.), this new model won't change those things and it probably isn't your cup of tea.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It should be noted that this is not a 'clean sheet' redesign / re-imagining of the Stinger. That is the 2020. I view this as a (relatively) small revision to the other existing / current LED Stingers to add the warmer CT and high CRI. Otherwise, the selection of relative output levels, inclusion of 'strobe', etc., etc. appear entirely consistent with the other current LED Stingers. They didn't want to fix what wasn't broke (in their opinion). If you liked the existing Stinger design / features but wanted something warmer w/ better CRI, this is probably the Stinger for you. If you didn't like the features of the other current Stingers (strobe, relative output levels, etc.), this new model won't change those things and it probably isn't your cup of tea.
Reminds me of the "Stinger HL". If so, not a lot of changes would be required to go from a C4 bright white to the new warm LED.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a "professional", but not a member of their focus group.
Roger that, and I'm certain opinions also varied within those focus groups as well (they always do)...but in the end Marketing will insist that the majority rules if all cannot be accomodated equally (such as with a configurable option). Know the only single thing I dislike about my Elzetta Alpha Gen 3? It has a bloody / useless (for me) strobe mode!!!! I understand. Clearly I wasn't in their focus group either. As always: product engineering and development = prioritized tradeoffs.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can change that by changing the tail tho

Thanks fulee, as that's a good piece of info I was unaware of! I didn't know the tailcap was part of the equation with regard to 'strobe' function. Mine does have the "Gen 3 High-Low" tailcap. So does this mean I could eliminate the 'strobe' feature / mode by switching to the "Click Tailcap"? If so, does that provide a typical 2-stage, progressive 'momentary-on / maintained on' function (meaning partial depress / release for momentary, and full press to 'click' for maintained-on)? That would function as mine does today, except would eliminate the 'Low' feature. I think I might go for that. The other option is the "Rotary Tailcap", which I believe provides momentary-on by depressing the actuator, but requires rotation for 'maintained-on', which would be less appealing to me. Having used 'twist for maintained-on lights in the past, they were sub-optimal for me simply because I'm not crazy about rotating tailcap functions required while actually using the light (or anything generally requiring use of a second hand or change of grip to operate under any conditions), and although I use 'momentary-on' most often, I do use 'maintained-on' more often than I use 'Low' output, so if giving up 'Low' output would eliminate the 'strobe' function without changing other functionality I'll consider ordering a "Click Tailcap" for mine.

It is true that the 'strobe' function appears to be dependent on a VERY short timing interval or window for activation (which is good) that I do not often hit by accident and even have difficulty activating when I try to, but on rare occasion I have hit it accidentally, and eliminating that possibility would be good, as that's the last thing I want to happen short of 'darkness'.

I must admit I find the documentation on these tailcap options to be somewhat lacking, particularly when one factors in some suggested cross-compatibility issues between the different 'generation' Alphas. That could be improved, and a small cross-compatibility chart would help with documenting that last factor.

Not to turn this into a review (I don't do reviews), but just as an aside, that Alpha has become my most-carried light in recent times, and is about as close to 'perfect' for me (for dual role general purpose use / TAC backup) as any light I own. The only thing it should have but lacks is a low-voltage indication (such as a brief flash, not a so-called 'protection' shutdown to darkness) when using 16340 lithium ion cells, which I use exclusively in it to achieve its full output potential. To use that full potential pretty much requires use of IMR cells, which are generally non-"protected", and are not what I generally prefer to use in most applications. The light is so ideal for me in all other respects that I work around that deficiency by paying close attention to the status of my cells. It's a tradeoff I can live with for such an otherwise 'perfect' light. Speaking of 'perfect' (not a word I use often), the design of the output level(s) of the Gen 3 using 16340, and specifically the output control scheme used between the 10 and 50 second interval after turn-on using 16340 is absolute perfection for real-world use.

Thanks again for your post fulee, and perhaps you can help clear up the remaining question(s) (particularly re: the "Click Tailcap" I mentioned above.

Last edited:

fulee9999

Enlightened
Thanks fulee, as that's a good piece of info I was unaware of! I didn't know the tailcap was part of the equation with regard to 'strobe' function. Mine does have the "Gen 3 High-Low" tailcap. So does this mean I could eliminate the 'strobe' feature / mode by switching to the "Click Tailcap"? If so, does that provide a typical 2-stage, progressive 'momentary-on / maintained on' function (meaning partial depress / release for momentary, and full press to 'click' for maintained-on)? That would function as mine does today, except would eliminate the 'Low' feature. I think I might go for that. The other option is the "Rotary Tailcap", which I believe provides momentary-on by depressing the actuator, but requires rotation for 'maintained-on', which would be less appealing to me. Having used 'twist for maintained-on lights in the past, they were sub-optimal for me simply because I'm not crazy about rotating tailcap functions required while actually using the light (or anything generally requiring use of a second hand or change of grip to operate under any conditions), and although I use 'momentary-on' most often, I do use 'maintained-on' more often than I use 'Low' output, so if giving up 'Low' output would eliminate the 'strobe' function without changing other functionality I'll consider ordering a "Click Tailcap" for mine.

It is true that the 'strobe' function appears to be dependent on a VERY short timing interval or window for activation (which is good) that I do not often hit by accident and even have difficulty activating when I try to, but on rare occasion I have hit it accidentally, and eliminating that possibility would be good, as that's the last thing I want to happen short of 'darkness'.

I must admit I find the documentation on these tailcap options to be somewhat lacking, particularly when one factors in some suggested cross-compatibility issues between the different 'generation' Alphas. That could be improved, and a small cross-compatibility chart would help with documenting that last factor.

Not to turn this into a review (I don't do reviews), but just as an aside, that Alpha has become my most-carried light in recent times, and is about as close to 'perfect' for me (for dual role general purpose use / TAC backup) as any light I own. The only thing it should have but lacks is a low-voltage indication (such as a brief flash, not a so-called 'protection' shutdown to darkness) when using 16340 lithium ion cells, which I use exclusively in it to achieve its full output potential. To use that full potential pretty much requires use of IMR cells, which are generally non-"protected", and are not what I generally prefer to use in most applications. The light is so ideal for me in all other respects that I work around that deficiency by paying close attention to the status of my cells. It's a tradeoff I can live with for such an otherwise 'perfect' light. Speaking of 'perfect' (not a word I use often), the design of the output level(s) of the Gen 3 using 16340, and specifically the output control scheme used between the 10 and 50 second interval after turn-on using 16340 is absolute perfection for real-world use.

Thanks again for your post fulee, and perhaps you can help clear up the remaining question(s) (particularly re: the "Click Tailcap" I mentioned above.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize they've changed the strobe electronics' location in the gen3... It seems like the strobe is now integrated and can't be removed by changing the tailcap...

1674237563937.png

previously they sold the gen2 alpha as well, but seems like it's gone now, so your best bet is to get one used.
To be fair about the rechargeable batteries, the Elzetta is a hardcore heavy use flashlight, so you wouldn't want to use anything other than good old CR123s in it, as that can handle the cold way better, and also can't go into deep discharge.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was disappointed in the new Elzetta Alpha and have no intention of buying one.

The gen 2 was pretty good and they should not have ceased production of that in my view. I could see stopping production of the gen 1 due to it's anemic wall of light output was not very popular. I liked it but the Elzetta did not.

I wonder what Elzetta has in store this year at the SHOT show.

Ha, so I'm listening to a radio host interview the CEO of a famous rifle maker. The guy was all cool, well behaved and had this soothing sorta Barry White voice. Then it occured to me, I wondered how it would have gone in a PK interview. Especially after a night on the town that only PK could have embarked on back in his SureFire days. PK is very excitable and can use 4 letter words as back to back adjectives that make sense. So instead of that soothing voice of the gentleman it would have quite likely have sounded more like a Robin Williams interview after 6 cups of capuchino. lol.

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
The stinger with the "color-rite" tech isnt a bad idea but also isnt a new idea. We have seen plenty of LED drop ins that give you that warm tone for better color identification. Honestly thinking about the stinger LED I am issued at work, this is a good idea. Nothing more annoying than trying to identify colors with a blue tint LED. With some of the newer fabrics it can make it quite the pain. This might be good for the police market and I agree they should get rid of the strobe feature.

I have watched a couple of surefire shot show vids, they got a lot of flack for not releasing products last year and said they are not showing any products off that they wont have out shortly. Which I dunno why they would tease a product they are never releasing, thats bad business. I did see that they are offering the products in different color variations and an increased lumen/candela.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I should also add, Powertac came out witha special edition EDC light that runs on 14500 or AAs. It was pretty neat.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was disappointed in the new Elzetta Alpha and have no intention of buying one.
That's 'funny'. You could grow some CPF peas, and every one in the pod would look different. :)

Look at it this way, BYK. There were several reasons I wasn't interested in the Alpha in the past. When they released the Gen3, there were at least 3 reasons - maybe 4 (just off the top of my head) which compelled me to click 'add to cart', and I did so almost immediately. It's become one of the 'best money I ever spent' lights for me. So, given that you generally like Elzetta, you should be happy they released the Gen3. It brought them new customers (like me) they might never have had otherwise, so it'll be good for the company. You already have the one you want, and now I have the one I want, so now we make 2 happy customers of theirs instead of 1 because of the Gen3.