Should I blow up a ballast I cannot control or just throw it away ?

Fate of a ballast

• Blow it up with full input power and video it

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Blow it up but turn the power up slowly and video it

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • It's too dangerous, throw it away

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Try one more time to fix it

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Morepower!

Enlightened
As you can see by the pics I have the unenviable task of cleaning up my garage. However a long time ago I modded a ballast but damaged some of the components in doing so. Now the more voltage/power I put into it the more power it puts out and is not controllable in any way like my other ones. And I have spent many hours trying to fix it but now I'm done with it. So I have set up a pole to determine it's fate. With the PSU I have I am able to put 616w of input power into it and video it's destruction. So what say you ?

MyGarage22.jpg

Mygarage1.jpg

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Should I blow up a ballaast I cannot control or just throw it away ?

blow it up and let us see the video :)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that no-one here is going to not tell you to blow it up.

Youtube link, please :)

Morepower!

Enlightened

Well actually upon setting it up on bricks, setting up the video cam, and removing anything combustable I accidently noticed when I had modded it I had inadvertantly broken and pulled off a very tiny copper track. So I won't be blowing it up, well not on purpose yet at least. This also gave me another idea for modding the ballast in my latest dodgy mod even more, which of course I did. I havn't yet measured the bulb wattage as because I havn't done this stuff for quite some time I made a mistake and either blew the fuses or my good DMM. However when hooked to my PSU on low input power is 15.4Vdc @ 5.6A, high is 15.4Vdc @ 17.2A=264W input and some insane amount of light coming out of the front. So I may yet be able to save this ballast, sorry guys.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast

TEASE!!!

forexer

Newly Enlightened

lol! what kind of automotive hid can withstand 200W of input power?

Morepower!

Enlightened

If you knew me you'd know I'm going to milk it for as much as I can get away with, but ALOT of work and time goes into modding these ballasts so if it's controllable I won't be intentionally blowing it up. But once I push it past the 200W mark I will have a video camera going for you, how about that ? I want a 200W+ ballast for my old focusable mod.

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you knew me you'd know I'm going to milk it for as much as I can get away with, but ALOT of work and time goes into modding these ballasts so if it's controllable I won't be intentionally blowing it up. But once I push it past the 200W mark I will have a video camera going for you, how about that ? I want a 200W+ ballast for my old focusable mod.

sounds like a good plan to me MP!:popcorn::poof::candle: i can't wait to see the results either way!:twothumbs

Morepower!

Enlightened

No it is still going, I just need to modify a solering iron tip to be able to fix it permanently. Or run a short wire to reconnect both sides of the PCB which was the problem, I broke a connection through the board.

ms1496

Newly Enlightened
I don't know why, but when I read the title of this thread and saw the pictures of your workbench it made me laugh... This is what happens to mad scientists when they start crossing over to the other side :tinfoil:
Too funny...

So to answer your question, Yes! I would be interested too in seeing what happens when you push it :grin2:

Last edited:

Morepower!

Enlightened
I don't know why, but when I read the title of this thread and saw the pictures of your workbench it made me laugh... This is what happens to mad scientists when they start crossing over to the other side :tinfoil:
Too funny...

So to answer your question, Yes! I would be interested too in seeing what happens when you push it :grin2:

LOL, yeah it's a bit of a mess and that's only a bit over half of it. Unfortunately I don't get the time to work on lights as nearly as often as I would like. If this ballast still dosn't behave as it should once I've fixed it properly, and run it hard, I promise destruction on a big scale as I have a 9KV neon sign transformer I might use as a power supply.