Should I pick up the LED Lenser?

TeaQue

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Well I got my X3 yesterday.

The "focus" is a joke but the light is pretty bright and white.

It feels really sturdy and its a little brighter than my Brinkmann 3W but it doesn't throw as far.

I'd compare it to my SLPP but one of my friends has yet to return it after accidentally "borrowing" it the last time i had a bonfire :(

A

automagic

Newly Enlightened
Hey why all the lenser hate =/

I have one, and in its defense I will say:

Its only $50. (okay the x3 is $35 on amazon, but the lenser is smaller, so better for edc)

the 3AAA battery holder is the nicest of its kind that I have seen. Shiny (copper?) contacts, 4 of which are springloaded for a secure connection.

I have been using mine as an EDC since I got it about 3 months ago. I haven't had a chance to change the batteries yet; the things still as bright as from the day I tested it in the store.

I think the quality on tihs one is much better than what you would think from reading the above posts. Only thing I would complain about is that the clickie is made of a cheap feeling plastic rather than the nice surefire rubber i would prefer. That and there is not much sidespill. Otherwise - bright light thats still working for me (until I get a cree).

TeaQue

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to try to take some pics of beamshots later but it may be kinda hard with my point and shoot camer :)

Long John

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
automagic said:
I think the quality on tihs one is much better than what you would think from reading the above posts.

Hello automagic and welcome to CPF:)

I'm glad that you like it, but take a look to the inside of the light, heatsink, contact of the Led to the heatsink........:whistle:.

Hopefully it will work some time.:)

Best regards

____
Tom

Monocrom

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
Well, Coast lights are definitely over-priced. Still, one of them (carrying the Eddie Bauer name on it) hangs off my car key-ring. The switch feels insubstancial, but never fails to turn on and can be activated one-handed.

The larger one is built like a tank and has 2 small switches on the side. One to activate the single, red LED; and one for the 5, white LEDs. The sheath for it is nothing special, but better than the nothing that you get with some other clip-less lights.

If you find them on sale, for at least 1/3 off, snatch them up!:)

whc

whc

Enlightened
I have the Led-Lenser Hokus Fokus and Nuwai X-3. I don't use the Nuwai any more, after getting the Hokus Fokus. Like both flashlights though, but the X-3 just dies instant, the flashlight does not dim down, it just powers off when there is not enough battery power left to power the DC/DC converter.

I think that Hokus Fokus is the best flashlight of its class, the best I have tried from Led-Lenser (have the V2 two, and it is not that good at all).

whc

whc

Enlightened
Long John said:
I'm glad that you like it, but take a look to the inside of the light, heatsink, contact of the Led to the heatsink........:whistle:.

Hopefully it will work some time.:)

Hmm, newer noticed this, but the top of the heatsink is plastic. The heatsink though seams to work fine, just the bottom of the LED have contact to the aluminium heatsink then it will hopefully remove the heat from the LED. The body does get hot when it is powered on for some time, so that is a good sing :D.

Here is some pics:
DSC01179.JPG

DSC01180.JPG

Last edited:
ginaz

ginaz

Enlightened
lots of coast haters out there, can't say why. i have this light and it is (perhaps) the best performer of ALL my lights. i can only wish it had multiple levels. i mean, is the 3 AAA setup THAT bad? i don't think so at all, especially considering the absolutely stellar performance i get on NIMH batteries. i had planned on modding this light with a UW0K emitter but there was no point as the output is U bin level already. sure, it's 50 bucks but after i used it one night i thought about buying another. i went back to Lowe's and they were sold out. that says something. stop slamming coast based on one or two models. let each one stand on it's own merit.

TeaQue

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
whc said:
I have the Led-Lenser Hokus Fokus and Nuwai X-3. I don't use the Nuwai any more, after getting the Hokus Fokus. Like both flashlights though, but the X-3 just dies instant, the flashlight does not dim down, it just powers off when there is not enough battery power left to power the DC/DC converter.

I think that Hokus Fokus is the best flashlight of its class, the best I have tried from Led-Lenser (have the V2 two, and it is not that good at all).
I'd rather have it just die like that.

I love flat/constant output.

You guys are making wish I had waited until I found a Hokus Fokus.

Oh well, I'm saving my money for my next light which will be something with a CREE. :)

L

lumenal

Enlightened
Ginaz - I agree with you about the above picture - that doesn't look like my light either.

In fact, there is a photo in the review thread of this light that appears to show the Luxeon sitting on a nice, big aluminum heatsink.

Last edited:
whc

whc

Enlightened
lumenal said:
Ginaz - I agree with you about the above picture - that doesn't look like my light either.

In fact, there is a photo in the review thread of this light that appears to show the Luxeon sitting on a nice, big aluminum heatsink.

It is the Nuwai X-3. No it does not look like the Hokus Fokus, because it is not the Hokus Fokus ;)... Yes Hokus Fokus has a biig aluminium heatsink (the biggest I have sean)...

Last edited:
TeaQue

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Well I hope you guys are happy.

I still have the receipt for my Brinkmann 3W so I'm returning it to target and I just ordered the Hokus Fokus 10 minutes ago :)

ginaz

ginaz

Enlightened
you could do the CPF thing and....

get 'em both!!

TeaQue

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
ginaz said:
you could do the CPF thing and....

get 'em both!!
Actually I returned the Brinkmann 3W to target today and did just that!

ginaz

ginaz

Enlightened
let us know how the lenser works out for you

TeaQue

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Well I got my Led Lenser today, damn this thing is bright!

Way brighter than my X3, don't know how it throws yet but I will compare them tonight.

The only thing that bugs me is that the hotspot is just SLIGHTLY off center.

Anyone know if there is anything I can do to fix that?

Other than that, the light is very sturdy.