Should I store my batteries in the fridge?

zmoz

Enlightened
I have about 25 NiMh AAs that I don't see myself using for a while. I've heard before they last longer in the fridge...is this true?

Empath

Flashaholic
We've had discussions in the forum on the value of refrigerating batteries. The discussions and the reasons for doing so has been applicable to primary cells, not rechargeables. I can't see the rational applying to rechargeables at all. In fact, you'd need to let them reach room temperature before charging them.

I'd say storage at room temperature is best for NiMH cells.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I second Empath. The batteries themselves don't last longer, the capacity does, both primary and rechargeables. The NiMH might wind up with less self-discharge over, say, a month. But you may physically damage the batteries if the temp is too low.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep all my batteries in the fridge. I think they hold a charge longer there, and should have a longer lifetime. They should be isolated from the food, in case they leak.

I'm not concerned about the cold temperatures. I have some solar charged yard lights with NiMH batteries. They have lasted two years so far, and must have seen some temperatures below zero F. That would be minus 18 C. for you Robespierre fans.

My chemistry professor told me the rate of chemical reactions doubles for each 10 degree F. rise in temperature. I figure the self discharge of batteries would involve chemical reactions, but I could be wrong.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Of course, slowing chemical reactions is the whole reason for putting stuff in the fridge, eluminator. I'm only suggesting that if we measured the effect, it would likely be relatively minimal. I'm intruiged now, and I think I'm gonna find some way to test this. Maybe I need a bigger fridge, in the name of science, of course.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

zmoz

Enlightened
Well...I guess the only realy benefit to me would be to keep the charge, but I don't really care about that, and by the time I use them again they will be dead anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dark star

Enlightened
I have heard ( and am trying to find the reference ) that its not needed to keep alkalines in the fridge, but freezing NiMH cells lowers their self discharge rate dramatically ( a few percent a month as compared to a few percent every couple days ). I'm doing a test on this ! The only catch is by the time you thaw them out to use them- it would be just as fast to recharge them ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
keeping Alks in the fridge does help for very long term storage. For my ambulance work we buy the little disposable pen lights in a large bulk order then store them in the freezer. Years later they are as fresh as the day we bought them.