should new batteries be discharged before break in cycle

stormtracker78

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all! I have a question to those experts on the battery front out their, I have just ordered the powerx 8 pack from amazon when they arrive should I discharge them first before I use my break in cycle with my maha charger? also has anyone used the accu power digital 2900 mah batteries and if so what is your findings compared to powerex do they last longer? ty so much guys!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Stormtracker78,

While a little bit controversial it makes sense to discharge the cells prior to running a break in on them. It isn't absolutely necessary and I don't have any "hard" data to demonstrate that it isn't needed, it just makes sense to do this.

In the AA size I would make an educated guess that 2900 mAh is optimistic...

Tom

Frijid

Enlightened
IF they come pre-charged, i would discharge them a little bit. because on some of the break in cycles on some chargers, they charge up the battery first. and if the battery is already charged up, then the charger may overcharge them just a bit before it detects they already have charge in them. IF it was me, i would just put them in something and run use them just a bit, then do it.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use common sense and read the instructions on the packet.I have been using Eneloop or similar for years and have never done a discharge cycle ever and mine are running nicely,i throw the odd cell away now and again but usually on the cheap no namers.

The brand "Instants" i have had the longest since about 2005 and still running a treat.