Show your lights with trits!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo Haiku with ten tail trits ... mounted in five stepped slots. Blue outer vials are 2x6mm, green inner trits are 1.5x5mm.

Image-9853934-163051117-2-Web_0_a1e4411c42fb0bbeb74c058ccc19a9e1_1

Image-9853934-163051119-2-Web_0_5a2cf733c0ad2c3598ce74815956c10a_1
Are there any tips to mounting these "floating" style trits? I assume you need something to hold them in place on one side until cured, then retouch up that side with more Norland 61?

easilyled

Flashaholic
Remarkable pictures Dave, product catalogue standard! Yitsan should employ you!!

59ride, those are also great pictures of some excellent lights. I like your choice of tritium combinations.

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remarkable pictures Dave, product catalogue standard! Yitsan should employ you!!

59ride, those are also great pictures of some excellent lights. I like your choice of tritium combinations.
Thanks for the kind words Daniel!

59ride: I completely agree with Daniel. It's a very nice photo and lots of trits in a small space. :)

I especially like the pink/purple/ice blue tail. Those colors go together quite well. I also just noticed that you can see a tiny bit of the trits in the reflector of the McGizmo light to the right. That's pretty neat!

Last edited:

59ride

Enlightened
Thanks for the kind words guys, still have a looooonnnnggg way to catch up to Daves amazing shots. Very inspiring.

egrep

Enlightened
What are trits?

That is a *fantastic* question. There is no such thing, it's a nickname. ;)

GTLS. Gaseous Tritium Light Source is the more complete and correct name. These are borosilicate glass vials, tubes, rectangles, spheres, dots and more which are internally coated with a dyed phosphor. Then they are filled with Tritium (Hydrogen 3) gas. This is radioactive and the beta particles expended from the decay of the tritium excite the phosphors which glow their dyed color.

Folks talk about the radioactive half life of Tritium (about 12.5yrs) but it seems that the quality of the phosphor/dye and the handling (shock, light exposure) of the object may be more contributory to light output over time. I've got EDC items only 6yrs old that are somewhat dimmer than you might expect for instance. And other items I've seen (15yr old watch mostly kept in a drawer) still glowing nicely.

There was a big rush to stuff as many GTLS vials as possible into flashlights for a while, and while they are lovely, they are not exactly timeless :) I've found that a light with no vials is harder to find in the dark. Not just if it's 'lost' but on a dark table, it's so easy to pick out with some luminous devices on it's skin. So I like 4-8 on a light these days. YMMV of course. :)