Show your nightstand flashlight!

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I left this rare item in my night stand. It's an E2L outdoorsman AA with a red filter on it. The alkies that are in it haven't exploded and it still lights up. I guess that's part of buying good batteries.

Attachments

• 20230123_182853.jpg
    20230123_182853.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230123_182904.jpg
    20230123_182904.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230123_182912.jpg
    20230123_182912.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230123_182917.jpg
    20230123_182917.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 71

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt at Lumencraft aka Adventure Sport
Post #162
Thanx. I think my secret decoder ring is in need of a firmware update:)

I think this is one reason I'm not a fan of 'marathon' threads. I rarely read the entire marathon, or recall everything I do read for that long. I'm getting old. I'm also (intentionally) not a 'name dropper', and rarely use first names of anyone I haven't personally met...but that's just me.

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
So I'm just cleaning out the nightstand, making sure all the flashlights have fresh batteries etc. I've had this Surefire flashlight for probably 10 years now. It's been solid, and easy to grab when needed (mostly mundane, but crucial needs like finding things under the bed).

View attachment 14622

What's your go to nightstand flashlight?
I sleep with my thrunite t2 tide to my wrist . No need to fumble in dark to look for it

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I have a new Fenix E12 v2.0 as my EDC light, the 2d gen Inova X1 that it replaced serves as my nightstand light. Terrible design, terrible UI, but decent battery life with 80 lumen and 11 lumen modes. The biggest problem is it turns on in High mode, and the tail switch is useless. I should have returned it, but I really needed a new flashlight that took a single AA when I moved to a cabin in the woods in an area where CR123As just can't be had cheaply.

The Inova X1 replaced my Leatherman Serac S3 as my EDC light, but I've never been happy with it. The Serac S3 is a much better light for any purpose, but those CR123As just cost too much for me where I now live.

At night, I have to close my eyes, turn it on, turn it off, then turn it on again to bring up Low mode, but even that is a bit too bright. 5 lumens would have been better. Because the tail switch is a momentary only (and requires a lot of effort), the only way I can actually use this light is by screwing and unscrewing the tailcap, which is the real switching mechanism, and that requires two hands.

The latest gen Inova X1 lights have, if you can even believe this, an even worse UI.

Cannot recommend, do not buy.

View attachment 14665
I nearly bought a UV version of that a few months back.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Circumstances dictate our sleeping quarters are a little… rough at the moment. It's pitch black except the faint glow from the fire. Now I'm not one into bling, but finding my main light at night was a memory exercise I was growing less fond of, especially with a couple of emergency false alarms recently.
So I picked up a light I've had my eye on for a while, but never went for. The feature I didn't like - all the tritium tube slots - turned out to be the feature I now need! It's a copper Reylight Lan 519a, with the dark glowed out of it good and proper.
Works a treat.

Attachments

• IMG_4953.jpeg
    IMG_4953.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 126

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Circumstances dictate our sleeping quarters are a little… rough at the moment. It's pitch black except the faint glow from the fire. Now I'm not one into bling, but finding my main light at night was a memory exercise I was growing less fond of, especially with a couple of emergency false alarms recently.
So I picked up a light I've had my eye on for a while, but never went for. The feature I didn't like - all the tritium tube slots - turned out to be the feature I now need! It's a copper Reylight Lan 519a, with the dark glowed out of it good and proper.
Works a treat.
Nice other items as well

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
@Fuzzywuzzies what exactly are you using as a night stand.. and hopefully it's not Winter in your hemisphere?
Unfortunately it is indeed winter down here, and a cold one too! Nightstand is just an old set of drawers, does the job. If you were looking at the hunk of metal and bolts, see below…

@ilikeguns40 The other stuff visible is my Ratmandu fixed blade knife and Armoral leather sheath, Bertucci A4T Super Yankee watch, Tactile Turn pen, beloved and beaten ZT 0562 folding knife, and of course the Reylight Lan in copper, with the Nichia 519a and far too many tritium tubes for my taste. =p

The metal thing in the background is actually the head off an Ingersoll-Rand 2545 air compressor, repurposed as the base for a lamp. I wanted a beside lamp that would actually last, have 0-100% ramping output, be able to run those nice warm, retro-looking LED bulbs, and have a volt indicator, because, why not.
Of course such a lamp doesn't exist, so I made one. The head of the lamp is the piston out of the first stage side of the same compressor. Looks funky, but works a charm!

Attachments

• IMG_7715.jpeg
    IMG_7715.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 71

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
@Fuzzywuzzies, Does the psi regulator valve function as a rheostat?

Very Ingenious gadgetry, and you have way too much free time on your hands!

Stay high and dry (-;
Cheers! We try, but it's been a crazy wet season this year. We're positioned high and dry for sure, but we have been cut off from civilisation several times already this season.

Yes, precisely. The valve does regulate the brightness pretty well, but not quite to 0%, for safety. Funny you say about free time, as I actually have somewhere between precious little and none of the stuff! The lamp project was actually mandated by my wife, as she said that "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", so I had to pick a "leisure" project to do for a while!!
She was right though, doing that project made me realise that one could forget how to leisure. R&R is good for a body. Now we both make a point of building recreational time into our schedule first, and I know our little family is the better for it now.