Show your Solarforce Part II

LanWolf

Newly Enlightened
After a hour or so broiling it came out almost copper....

Now i need a copper or brass clip and front bezel to complete it :)

nuje3adu.jpg

qy5ejede.jpg

LanWolf

Newly Enlightened
It was a standard black l2, took al the guts out and tucked it in the oven on broil mode. (High temperatures make the color of the annodizing change)
Kept it in for 15 minutes or so, color changed to dark chocolate, so put it back in, and did that for several 10 minute sessions. Total for an hour or so to reach this copper like color. iPhone pic makes it little lighter than it really is. Its a nice coppery color, wanted that to accompany my western outfit.

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The body of the L2 is 2 parts that are screwed together with an 'O' ring. Did you take that apart as well?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a standard black l2, took al the guts out and tucked it in the oven on broil mode. (High temperatures make the color of the annodizing change)
Kept it in for 15 minutes or so, color changed to dark chocolate, so put it back in, and did that for several 10 minute sessions. Total for an hour or so to reach this copper like color. iPhone pic makes it little lighter than it really is. Its a nice coppery color, wanted that to accompany my western outfit.

thanks for this info. :)

So once it's been baked, can that new color rub off or anything?

LanWolf

Newly Enlightened
I took all parts off, including the oring, that would not have survived the oven.

Did screw the head andere tail loosely on the tube.

No need to rub anything off, The tint just changes.
No sign of color transfer after it was baked when holding it or wiping it with a cloth.

texas cop

Enlightened
The body of the L2 is 2 parts that are screwed together with an 'O' ring. Did you take that apart as well?
Those were discontinued in 2011. I've been looking to make mini's out of them and can't find a one. New bodies are one piece.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Do you have to turn it or anything for even colour effect, what temp? Do you have to let it cool down every noe and again, and how light can you get it?

Looks awesome BTW!

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have to turn it or anything for even colour effect, what temp? Do you have to let it cool down every noe and again, and how light can you get it?

Looks awesome BTW!
+1
I'm definitely going to try that with one of my lights. Any idea what would happen to the tan, grey/silver ones? Do they get lighter too? Thanks!

LanWolf

Newly Enlightened
Those were discontinued in 2011. I've been looking to make mini's out of them and can't find a one. New bodies are one piece.

These are one piece, but the mini 2piece is still available too, its the l2m
Check solarforceflashlight-sales.com (and prepare to have a prescription from the doctor for your new addiction :) )

Looks awesome BTW!

Not needed to turn, i did it at over 250 celcius, I put it on foil , just to help heat get to the bottom
but altough i screwed the parts loosely togthere, body has become slightly lighter than head and cap

Put the head and cap in after i found the body color okay, for 10 -15 min or so to get it more even with the body.
You can get the black ones to be almost gold afaik.

+1
I'm definitely going to try that with one of my lights. Any idea what would happen to the tan, grey/silver ones? Do they get lighter too? Thanks!

I don't know about the grey ones, but others have maybe. Or give it a try and post here:)
Thats what i did. These hosts are under 25 bucks... So what can go wrong ? You might end up with a pink one ? Keeps the misses happy too :)

Last edited:

pyro1son

Newly Enlightened
We need a little cheat sheet with rough times to get certain colours :)

Fird

Enlightened
Haha, put that in front of an MT-G2 and push about 3k lumens, then go to your local theater or auditorium during a production and mess with the spotlight/followspot operator :-D

I'm not an expert in this beamshot things :D

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lanwolf, congrats for your ano color change...
Very succesful method, usually heating the flashlight on a stove top makes for different colors depending on the material thickness...

NtEzyBeingGreen

Newly Enlightened
New Solarforce owner here!

My L2P with S8 Tail and L2T with Black Tactical Head/Bezel and a S6 Tail. The L2T has heat shrink over the body. Both have Cree XP-G R5 Singles 1 Mode.

IMG_0796_zps2cba0820.jpg
IMG_0797_zps41cbef13.jpg
IMG_0799_zps4ced7dbd.jpg

Last edited:

Bucket

Newly Enlightened
Not mine, but one I modded. Aspheric is 75mm. HS is hybrid Al / Cu. Height is to raise LED to focal plane.
_MG_6505.jpg

v1EeLmn15GZSCIa-PIlASg-kMoGDAgl996Zy6Frcseo=w666-h667-no