Shredded receipts, etc - recycling or landfill

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday I had a shredfest to clean up the mess of debit and credit card receipts as well as documents with our name and address on them that I had set aside to be shredded.

I ran everything through a crosscut paper shredder and now I need to figure out how to dispose of the shredded receipts.

The options available to me are to put it out with the paper recycling or send it to the landfill.

The landfill does have one of those Plasco incinerators but I don't know how much of the trash gets incinerated.

What do you folks do with shredded receipts?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I make sure all the numbers are shredded, and then recycle 'em. I ain't afraid.
:thumbsup: john

Greta

Flashaholic
Contact your local Humane Society and see if they can use some "litter". ;)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Depends on the paper. Many registers use thermal or coated paper to save on ink. This shiny paper does not recycle or biodegrade well. Plain/uncoated paper, no problem.

Sorting the strips into two piles at this point...

Illum

Flashaholic
fireplace...if they're wet from coffee or what not, draw some lint off your dryer filter and that should do it.

Fireplace does a good job for all articles of confidentiality:...just remember to mix the ash up a bit when your done. I can burn a whole sheet of newspaper and still be able to read the dates off of it if left untouched:shrug:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Burning them myself is not an option since we have no fireplace or fire pit.

The shredded stuff is regular paper and thermal paper, probably a 50/50 mix.

Sorting it into thermal and paper at this point is definitely out of the question.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
soak in water then smudge out the sensitive info

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having been production mgr & technical mgr in a recycle (deink) plant - recycle. The bit of thermal paper there isn't going to be a big problem - given tonnages between 100 tpd & 800 tpd going into these plants.

Great place to use flashlights.

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff coming into these plants. The first sets of pilot plant trials I went on there was micro fiche with "authorized signatures" from the Bank Of Canada on them (if I remember correctly). Then there are other things that I have seen where I think - how does that get thrown out with office waste paper???

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put our shredded stuff in the recycle bin for the waste collectors to handle now. Your choice of recycling though.

Before we had individual waste pick-up/recycling, I used to mix the shredded stuff with the lawn clippings, dog land mines. After about a day or so, retrieving that info would be a challenge with the wet soggy green stinky mess.

brucec

Enlightened
I'm confused as to if you are trying to avoid adding waste to a landfill by recycling or just concerned about personal information getting into the wrong hands. I think all "paper", thermal or normal, can go into a recycle bin. For safeguarding personal information, I usually just shred it. For sensitive stuff, I'll mix up the shreds and throw them out in different batches on different days. For credit cards, I'll cut them up and throw away half at work and half at home. I hate those blank checks that they send with credit cards...

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Nobody in their right mind is going to play the million puzzle piece game when they can just steal the personal information out of your neighbor's garbage can. Just toss or recycle or whatever you feel is best. The advice to add a little water is an easy and safe bet if you still feel insecure.

Me? I burn mine when I go camping. When soaked with my magic mystery fire water, it really helps start a bonfire.

rodfran

Enlightened
I use a quality cross-cut shredder. My city picks up recycling or I can walk to a nearby school that will recycle(also takes magazines, cardboard ).
It will be wasted in a landfill. At least with recycling it may be reused in some manner.
With two sources for recycling and my composting,
my garbage output is next to nothing.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
toilet-flush.jpg