Silver Oxide Battery

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a light that uses silver oxide batteries and I just had to get it. It's a Black Diamond Ion. Uses a cylindrical 6v silver oxide battery - 2CR-1/3N.

Curious, other than what I read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver-oxide_battery

I wonder why silver oxide is used?

Advantages of silver oxide over say lithium based batteries?

I have never seen anyone here on CPF look at silver oxide and it's discharge characteristics. I wonder how flat or steep the discharge curve is?

Extra Info: I could not resist, I did not use the included silver oxide battery. I used a CR2. The CR2 is a slightly bigger and longer battery. So I had to jerry rig the light to take the bigger CR2. It involves wires and an exposed battery without the cover on ;)

The CR2 is also lower voltage at 3v vs. 6v for the silver oxide, so the light is dimmer but sufficient for use.

The light is rated to run 8 hours on high using silver oxide. I am sure the CR2 will run the light longer.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silver oxide is usually found in button cells. They have better performance in that form factor than alkaline cells of the same size. Cost is apparently the limitation in bigger sizes.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2CR-1/3N is not a silver oxide battery. It is a lithium battery. Actually a stack of two 3V cells.

If your light came with a silver oxide battery it is a 4SR44, which is a stack of four silver button cells. There is also an 4LR44 alkaline version.

All are the same physical size and voltage and are interchangeable. Probably an edge to the lithium version in shelf life and self discharge characteristics.

Mark

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
the properties of the silver oxide button cells VRSES alkaline, from running them in some stuff:
1) the silver oxide is lower voltage, and lower amps, it seems to run slow and LONG.
2) the alkaline in comparison, is higher voltage , and will burst more amps out for a while, but then silveroxide will still be going (albiet slowly) when the alkaline is long since dead.
3) very similar to the zinc-air , without the air inlet issues of storage, a bit low in total wattage output , runs forever.

perfect for just what they are selling, light , lite , not to powerfull, run long time.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
the properties of the silver oxide button cells VRSES alkaline, from running them in some stuff:
1) the silver oxide is lower voltage, and lower amps, it seems to run slow and LONG.
2) the alkaline in comparison, is higher voltage , and will burst more amps out for a while, but then silveroxide will still be going (albiet slowly) when the alkaline is long since dead.
3) very similar to the zinc-air , without the air inlet issues of storage, a bit low in total wattage output , runs forever.

perfect for just what they are selling, light , lite , not to powerfull, run long time.

In my case, the silver oxide is rated at 6v. Higher than typical alkalines.

Last edited:

ifor powell

Enlightened

This light is my light of choice for Mountain Marathons (2 day runing events with navigation and an overnight camp) The kit list normaly has torch and spair battery In the uk this is many peoples choice. I hope to be into camp before dark so all it has to do is cope with around camp and cooking duties. For the weight it dose the job well and if push came to shove you could get off the hill with it. It is also my standard emergancy spair anytime out running or biking in th dark. The only aukward bit is that the batteries are not readily avalible so when I want a new one i have to make a special trip to get a pair.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a stash of these 6.2V silver oxide cells for my old non-digital camera that was passed down from my dad. I can't say I know much about the chemistry but I believe the one in the camera has been in use for longer than I have lived. The shelf life of those are pretty amazing.

jufam44

Enlightened
I learn something new every day-Never seen a Silver Oxide in a flashlight before! :)

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light is my light of choice for Mountain Marathons (2 day runing events with navigation and an overnight camp) The kit list normaly has torch and spair battery In the uk this is many peoples choice. I hope to be into camp before dark so all it has to do is cope with around camp and cooking duties. For the weight it dose the job well and if push came to shove you could get off the hill with it. It is also my standard emergancy spair anytime out running or biking in th dark. The only aukward bit is that the batteries are not readily avalible so when I want a new one i have to make a special trip to get a pair.

I barely got a CR2 in the battery case, minus the battery cover. So in a pinch, you could use a CR2 which is hopefully more available in your area. The CR2 is rated at 3v so the light will be dimmer, but useful.