Simple 18650 headlight for elderly

Elijah

Newly Enlightened
The Farpoint FLHR35206 is a flood/spot 18650 headlamp available at low cost (under other brands also). It has simple spot/flood/off sequence, no flashing. USB rechargeable, 1200mAh capacity is a bit low but OK. I just picked one up locally OTC for under $5.

I did discover than long press when on causes up or down dimming which is not in any instructions. However there is no "memory" of this setting, if switched off it come back on at full output.

One end is magnetic and can be used for small work light.

Dave
I will agree that the Farpoint headlamps are decent for the price. I have a couple that I picked up at the Grocery Outlet a couple years ago. They are definitely convenient for shorter tasks like taking out the trash, but the battery life is just OK, not great. I will add that they are Micro-USB charging, not USB-C, which is unfortunate. Also, they are definitely NOT waterproof. There is a little orange flap that covers the clicky-switch and USB port, but it's just a loose flap, not a gasket of any kind. They were cheap enough that I don't regret getting them, but knowing what I know now, I would not buy them again, and would opt for something that's at least waterproof, and has USB-C charging and/or takes a 18650 cell. YMMV, but I think the battery life would be too short given the criteria the OP laid out.

BTW, Thanks for the tip on dimming. I had not discovered that, but I just tried it and it works great. Long-press seems to alternate between dimming and intensifying depending on what you did last.

-Eli

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed Farpoint light is less than ideal with wired-in 18650 although it could be replaced with higher capacity cell, though it would take longer to charge. Cell going dead means waiting for it to charge or having a hot standby spare lamp.

For USB-C, could use adapter. I have some earlier USB battery packs and old MP3 players (still going) which use mini-USB!

Dave

Elijah

Newly Enlightened
OK, I got motivated by your post and went on a bit of a cheap-ish headlamp shopping spree, and I think the Sofirn SP40A might be what you are looking for. It's only got 3 modes (high, medium, low), with a WIDE range between modes. Also, with memory function, it's 1-click on, 1-click off, but you can press and hold if you really want to change brightness (it just cycles continuously, low->med->high->low->med->etc). Also, has magnetic tail cap, USB charging, works with flat/button top or protected/unprotected 18650 cells, and is available with high CRI. Only downside is that it's micro-USB, not USB-C, so that's kind of a bummer, but otherwise it's a home run. I just picked one up for about $20 on Amazon (with high CRI), so kind of hard to go wrong. Anyway, just thought I would throw that suggestion into the mix. Take care.

-Eli

turbodog

Flashaholic
Plenty of viable charge options other than those interfaces: magnetic, cradle, external cell charger, inductive.

Micro usb falls into
1) wrong way
2) right way, but think it's wrong
3) endless loop of 1 & 2
4) broken connector
5) broken jack

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix HL55

Super simple and super rugged. Large single button UI, 1x18650, tilts 180 degrees, beautiful flawless beam pattern, long runtimes, no external rubber charging port cover and no strobe, SOS or red modes.

They're hard to find, but out there if you look hard enough.
0754BD4D-4899-4931-B8DE-539EA8BFCC5E.jpeg

Poppy

Flashaholic
He may like the Sofirn D25L headlamp.
It has five settings with memory.
Just hold the big button on the end, and it cranks up in steps, then it reverts to low and steps up again. Just let go of the button when you get to the level you want.

It is in-light-rechargeable and uses a micro usb which is protected with an o-ring screw out cap on one end.

It can be used like a Star Trek, The Next Generation hand/wrist light.

1669570596483.png