single cr123 headlamps?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
any single cr123 and/or rcr123 headlamps, besides the ones offered by surefire and zebralight?

robostudent5000

Enlightened
princeton tec remix pro is all i can think of. i don't want to count the zebra knockoffs.

it seems to be an under represented format.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wondering, if over time, as the AAs continue to improve, will CR123 fade away as it won't offer that much more advantage? I think 18650 may someday fill the footprint left behind by the 123, if someone would start making them as primaries.

One thing that makes me wonder this is the recent poll, where you find a strong preference for AA and even AAA over 123. 123 are middle of the pack for preference, and 18650 is not far behind them. RCR123 are the least popular in the survey.

Seeing this, I've been quietly selling off my 123 lights for some time now and have only one left.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a 4 pack of CR123's suddenly became available at your corner drug store for the same price as a 4 pack of AA's you would see AA start to fade away. It's mainly about the pricing.

For some applications the form of a single AA is more appealing to some than the 1 CR123 form. For other applications it's the reverse.

Using a single 18650 in a handheld light is perfect. For a headlamp or a small pocket carry it's too much.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a 4 pack of CR123's suddenly became available at your corner drug store for the same price....

Well, first, they're not; and being lithium, they won't; and third, there's a huge established base for AA that dwarfs 123, even though 123 is a more powerful cell. And finally, some people dig on 18650 headlamps. But it's always fun to discuss.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, first, they're not; and being lithium, they won't; and third, there's a huge established base for AA that dwarfs 123, even though 123 is a more powerful cell. And finally, some people dig on 18650 headlamps. But it's always fun to discuss.

OK, when a 4 pack of CR123 is the same as a 4 pack of lithium AA :)

I think the price of CR123's will come down. AA's online and in the stores are about the same. CR123's online and in the stores are not about the same but should be.

I'm with you though. I don't plan on getting any CR123 lights. I only have two that can't also be used with 18650's and that's the way I use them.

I just think it's hard to see CR123 going away with LED's since it's a much better match voltage wise. After using my Zebralights however I'm plenty satisfied with the output on one AA.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first heard of them before I was into lights at all and they were known as "photo batteries".