Single D cell Maglite

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: One D cell Mag

Overly long, yes, no argument there. Looks like the length gets you (1) a nice focusable, removable (for candle mode) head, which is a definite benefit; and (2) a side-mounted pushbutton switch, which could easily have been moved to the tailcap or even in the head itself to save lots of room.

I do like this light despite the length... there's something compelling about it. On the other hand, that fairly new Dorcy aluminum 2D LED light (forget the exact name of it) could also be cut to single-D size and would probably end up shorter. Not sure if the Dorcy supports candle mode and focusing, though.

zmoz

Enlightened

I have a Garrity steel beam flashlight that is about that size. It takes 4AA batteries as well, I love the size, and that it can take NiMh AAs. I use it more than any other light...

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am interested only if I can find someone to further mod this to take a single 1.5 volt cell with a 1 watt Lux

Empath

Administrator,
Staff member
Supporter

Take a Versalux PR-2 LED from Technology Associates, and run it in it. It's good to about .7 volts, which means it will run a long time on a single cell. On a D cell, it lasts a month or longer. Remove the head of your light and let it operate in candlelight mode. Adjust the spring clip on a small lamp shade, that's designed to clip onto a candelabra type lamp, until it can clamp onto the threads. Drop the tail end of the light into a votive candle holder to steady it. Turn out all the other lights, and just enjoy it with your intimate one.

I use something similar in an aluminum Cool Blue Dorcy. The Dorcy comes with a 4 AA holder about the size of a D cell. If you remove the AA holder it will take one D cell. I use mine to burn used cells that are too exhausted for anything else, and use it as a constant-on nightlight.