Single or dual mode LED lights—in addition to Surefire?

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to see what is out there that is a medium to full size simplistic light with 900 or more lumens I am familiar with Surefire and Streamlight. Any other makes or models like this?

Thank you

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to see what is out there that is a medium to full size simplistic light with 900 or more lumens I am familiar with Surefire and Streamlight. Any other makes or models like this?

Thank you
Keeping it USA made:

Malkoff M91 with high/low switch
Order either the MD3 or md4 body with it

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I have walked thousands of miles pre dawn carrying a Malkoff MD2 with a hi/lo switch. I find it to be the perfect light for the task. I have both the neutral and white and use them interchangeably.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF I understand your question correctly, most of the lights I carry and use are in that category. The two lights spending the most time in my pockets the past couple of years, and upon which I depend most heavily, are from ASP and Elzetta (alphabetically). What you're looking for is pretty 'standard' in the current ASP line, and possibly the Elzetta line as well.

Otherwise, Streamlights (w/ TenTap of course) are my general weapon of choice for decades now, and remain so.

Being from AL originally, I of course also have no issues with the brand echoing in this thread:). I'm sure they're quite good as well, although I can't say from experience.

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
IF I understand your question correctly, most of the lights I carry and use are in that category. The two lights spending the most time in my pockets the past couple of years, and upon which I depend most heavily, are from ASP and Elzetta (alphabetically). What you're looking for is pretty 'standard' in the current ASP line, and possibly the Elzetta line as well.

Otherwise, Streamlights (w/ TenTap of course) are my general weapon of choice for decades now, and remain so.

Being from AL originally, I of course also have no issues with the brand echoing in this thread:). I'm sure they're quite good as well, although I can't say from experience.
Not sure what the ten tap is

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what the ten tap is
MT - It's SL's excellent (IMO) feature which allows non-volatile, EASY user configuration of lights to select one of several available basic, common sense, popular "UI" config settings, without getting into to the 'insanity' (IMO) of overly-complex / convoluted configurability options and 'fluff' that many manufacturers get into - and without having to carry a flow chart around to do it like some. The options typically include several basic settings for 'High output only', 2 outputs (like a low and a high), an option that includes strobe, etc., and choices can vary between specific models. I believe all include a 'high-only' and 2-output (selected by 'tap / double tap' at turn-on') option at minimum though, which covers my needs. I like a high and low option for general miscellaneous uses, but of course 'high only' in TAC / TAC backup role. One light handles both with Ten-Tap.

I never watched this video until now, but it appears to provide a decent explanation (and demo). Run this search and select 'Videos':

ASP provides a very similar feature in many of the lights in their product line. ASP has a "High-Low" setting that works for me any time, for example.

My Elzetta Alpha Gen 3 also quite simple, but provides access to a 'Hi' and a 'Low' with a rotary tail cap setting.

Last edited:

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
MT - It's SL's excellent (IMO) feature which allows non-volatile, EASY user configuration of lights to select one of several available basic, common sense, popular "UI" config settings, without getting into to the 'insanity' (IMO) of overly-complex / convoluted configurability options and 'fluff' that many manufacturers get into - and without having to carry a flow chart around to do it like some. The options typically include several basic settings for 'High output only', 2 outputs (like a low and a high), an option that includes strobe, etc., and choices can vary between specific models. I believe all include a 'high-only' and 2-output (selected by 'tap / double tap' at turn-on') option at minimum though, which covers my needs. I like a high and low option for general miscellaneous uses, but of course 'high only' in TAC / TAC backup role. One light handles both with Ten-Tap.

I never watched this video until now, but it appears to provide a decent explanation (and demo). Run this search and select 'Videos':

ASP provides a very similar feature in many of the lights in their product line. ASP has a "High-Low" setting that works for me any time, for example.

My Elzetta Alpha Gen 3 also quite simple, but provides access to a 'Hi' and a 'Low' with a rotary tail cap setting.
Thanks very much I come from the old school of incandescent lights. I like LED but find many to be more complex in their II? than I like

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I meant UI too
Complicated
Well, my own ProTacs are set to 'High Only", and that's permanent for me with most. They will never change themselves. On, and Off. I'm not sure how to get anything more simple and un-complicated than that and still have lots of light coming out the front when I push the button. Let me know if you find something - I might be interested:). If you don't even want 'momentary on' capability (only 'maintained / constant on), I believe ASP (and some others) offer that option. If you want a tail switch that only does momentary, but not constant on, Elzetta (and perhaps others) offers that. I guess that would be one step more basic, if that's what you want.

I guess my earlier "IF I understand your question" qualifier was in order. I don't think i understand exactly what you're looking for. You may need to use a few more words, and describe exactly / completely how you'd like the light to work, rather than only how you don't want it to work.

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
To be Honest I thought I knew what features I wanted the most and which ones the least. However, the more I think about it I'm not quite sure what I consider to be the best set of features after all. I have had five LED flashlights so far My favorite was MC
MH25. If I did not have arthritis I would be much more flexible, no pun intended.