• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sky Lumen Nguyen Flashlight Torture Tests Videos

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously Vinh. You need to market this to the military. This is the kind of stuff they look for. Not to mention all the money you could make from them.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Seriously Vinh. You need to market this to the military. This is the kind of stuff they look for. Not to mention all the money you could make from them.

Until I can find a way to make this light cheaper I think I will have a very hard time getting this light to any group of professional...Let start here and we will move on from there.

Bronco

Enlightened
could this be as good as in HDS , Malkoff , Elzetta Toughness ?

Purely objectively speaking, I guess I would have to ask you if you're aware of any specific testing regimens these other lights are subjected to and pass which haven't already been represented by Vinh's published series of extensive testing videos?

Last edited:

Bronco

Enlightened

Until I can find a way to make this light cheaper I think I will have a very hard time getting this light to any group of professional...Let start here and we will move on from there.

As one who was a Marine logistics officer for many years, I'll throw my two cents worth in the ring and say that Vinh's instincts are right on the money here. I would advise against devoting too much time and effort in these very early stages toward pursuing any sort of military contract.

In the vast majority of cases, the military procurement process is predicated upon finding the cheapest product that is capable of meeting a certain set of predetermined standards. In other words, when it's decided that a new piece of military gear is required, the warfighters and the bean counters will come together and draft a very detailed set of specifications which outline the minimum performance and durability criteria that the item must meet. Once that is done, then the military specification is published and a competition is conducted amongst willing manufacturers to determine which prototype submitted best meets those specifications and does so most cost effectively.

So in the final analysis, everything is predicated on the specification that is established. If the Army suddenly decides that it needs a handheld flashlight that can produce 4000 lumens of light, live for days under 30 feet of water and survive repeatedly being thrown off four story buildings, then Vinh is definitely in a good position with this light. But until a light meeting such an extreme set of specifications is deemed required, then much cheaper lights meeting far less rigorous minimum specifications will be awarded the contracts.

The stories you hear about the military paying $600 for a hammer or $1000 for a toilet seat are really just silly urban legends. I can promise you the military isn't spending hundreds of dollars for any common tool that can be had at Home Depot for $15. Unless you just happen to stumble across an active RFP with existing specifications that match very closely with the product you've already developed, you'll quickly find yourself competing against other manufacturers with much deeper pockets who can develop a product from scratch specifically designed to just barely meet these standards as cost effectively as possible.

That's not to say that at some point down the road Vinh might not want to strike up a conversation with folks like those at CountyComm. If willing, I'm sure they could tell you everything you need to know about the process of petitioning the Defense Logistics Agency to have a national stock number (NSN) assigned to your product. But even going to that trouble and expense is no guarantee the military will actually purchase any of them. And as a purely practical side note, I can add that, where individual issue equipment is concerned, the military has a preference for gear powered by primary cells rather than rechargeable batteries.

For now, I think Vinh is wise in stating his preference to build the brand, build the reputation, build the customer base and build the capacity to deliver product. Doing all of these things will only enhance the future attractiveness of his creations to the military/LEO community.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
could this be as good as in HDS , Malkoff , Elzetta Toughness ?

SLN is not on the league of any of the premium brands u mentioned. However just being compared to these brands is already a huge compliment. I am not trying to be humble or anything. Just being blunt. Initially I was going to test SLN against another well known but then wife asked what r you trying to prove? I told her I want to prove that our light is reliable. Then she said then do that. People only need to see what ur light can do not what other lights can or cant. They can make their own inform decision. There will be things other lights can do that urs cant so don't bother. I listened. Anyhow I have several more tests I want to do. It will be fun! I hope I answer urs and many others similar question.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
As one who was a Marine logistics officer for many years, I'll throw my two cents worth in the ring and say that Vinh's instincts are right on the money here. I would advise against devoting too much time and effort in these very early stages toward pursuing any sort of military contract.

In the vast majority of cases, the military procurement process is predicated upon finding the cheapest product that is capable of meeting a certain set of predetermined standards. In other words, when it's decided that a new piece of military gear is required, the warfighters and the bean counters will come together and draft a very detailed set of specifications which outline the minimum performance and durability criteria that the item must meet. Once that is done, then the military specification is published and a competition is conducted amongst willing manufacturers to determine which prototype submitted best meets those specifications and does so most cost effectively.

So in the final analysis, everything is predicated on the specification that is established. If the Army suddenly decides that it needs a handheld flashlight that can produce 4000 lumens of light, live for days under 30 feet of water and survive repeatedly being thrown off four story buildings, then Vinh is definitely in a good position with this light. But until a light meeting such an extreme set of specifications is deemed required, then much cheaper lights meeting far less rigorous minimum specifications will be awarded the contracts.

The stories you hear about the military paying $600 for a hammer or $1000 for a toilet seat are really just silly urban legends. I can promise you the military isn't spending hundreds of dollars for any common tool that can be had at Home Depot for $15. Unless you just happen to stumble across an active RFP with existing specifications that match very closely with the product you've already developed, you'll quickly find yourself competing against other manufacturers with much deeper pockets who can develop a product from scratch specifically designed to just barely meet these standards as cost effectively as possible.

That's not to say that at some point down the road Vinh might not want to strike up a conversation with folks like those at CountyComm. If willing, I'm sure they could tell you everything you need to know about the process of petitioning the Defense Logistics Agency to have a national stock number (NSN) assigned to your product. But even going to that trouble and expense is no guarantee the military will actually purchase any of them. And as a purely practical side note, I can add that, where individual issue equipment is concerned, the military has a preference for gear powered by primary cells rather than rechargeable batteries.

For now, I think Vinh is wise in stating his preference to build the brand, build the reputation, build the customer base and build the capacity to deliver product. Doing all of these things will only enhance the future attractiveness of his creations to the military/LEO community.

Thank you for the very detail and informative post. Truly appreciate it.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
My pleasure, Vinh. And many thanks to you and your family for taking the leap of faith and financial risks necessary to bring such fantastic products to the marketplace.

I have a question for you or for anyone fluent with English over at the lounge.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Serial 1-24 Black HA III Anodized

Serial 25-30 Hand Mirror Polished + Clear Anodized

Serial 25-30 will be here this Saturday to hand polish before it goes back to the shop for clear Anodizing

Question: Anyone interested in a bare aluminum with no Clear anodizing?

Also here are a bit more concrete pricing although not exact.

SLN host ~ $250 or less
SLN Light Engines Range from $50-$150

Patriot

Flashaholic
I like the idea of the clear anodizing over a mirror polished body. It's a high quality and classy finish.

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
Hi Vinh,

I haven't had much opportunity to keep up with the thread. Can I pre-order the light with either serial numbers 5, 15, 25, etc. I just want one ending in 5 if possible. If not, a low serial would be nice like 3 or 8.

Thanks Vinh,

Sorry to anyone who thinks I'm jumping the queue! I'm really not!

-KC

dmsoule

Newly Enlightened
Serial 1-24 Black HA III Anodized

Serial 25-30 Hand Mirror Polished + Clear Anodized

Serial 25-30 will be here this Saturday to hand polish before it goes back to the shop for clear Anodizing

Question: Anyone interested in a bare aluminum with no Clear anodizing?

Also here are a bit more concrete pricing although not exact.

SLN host ~ $250 or less
SLN Light Engines Range from $50-$150

yes, I'm interested in raw aluminum, no anodizing.

Vinh, what would you do if an ultra wealthy internet dweller decided to purchase your $999,999,999.99 SLN preview item on your site?

Would you send him every last sample you've ever made? And fly him in to Seattle and teach him how to mod lights?

Wishful thinking :) It could happen.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Vinh, what would you do if an ultra wealthy internet dweller decided to purchase your $999,999,999.99 SLN preview item on your site?

Would you send him every last sample you've ever made? And fly him in to Seattle and teach him how to mod lights?

Wishful thinking :) It could happen.

I will have the full 100 made in 2075. Will send him serial 1 keep serial 54, and give all my supporters and team members one. I will donate $100,000 to CPF. The rest I will use to make Sky Lumen light up the world so I can give back to this benefactor and help out as many needy people as I can.