SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such sparking is to be expected when hot-plugging the DC barrel jack. It is typically caused by the high current inrush when large capacitors charge up. This was discussed at length in earlier posts around here, which includes anti-spark workarounds. Of course you can also avoid it more simply by plugging the DC jack into the device before you power on (or plug in) the power supply.

Last edited:

tadatin

Newly Enlightened
Can't find any research or other information about the best charging and storing conditions for NiMH batteries. Now with MC3000 we can control everything, so good to know best practices for maximum lifespan, maximum performance etc. Can anyone help?

B-2Admirer

Newly Enlightened
I believe I may have shorted the negative sliders 2 and 3 for a moment while calibrating the charger today. The charger was powered, but no cells were in it at that time. I don't think I damaged it and I didn't notice anything wrong with it afterwards, but since I'm not familiar with its schematics, I thought maybe someone who is could banish all my fears :)

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
shorted the negative sliders 2 and 3 for a moment
Hi, you shorted neg slider #2 with neg slider #3 ? OMG :eek:oo:

The negative sliders are close to GND so nothing of interest happens there whether shorted or not, no worries. :ironic:
Btw the charger does have all sorts of protection, see FAQ's in manual, but sky does not advertise them explicitly in detail and boldly because etc :rolleyes:

Has anybody else got a diy or commercial cover/case to cover up the charger during non-usage?

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Tadatin,

Welcome to CPF.

Years ago with normal NiMh cells the best way to get the most life was to store them discharged and once every 30 - 90 days (pick a cycle that you can live with) give them a charge/discharge cycle. This seemed to work very well.

Now we have low self discharge NiMh cells. They don't seem to care if they are stored charged, discharged, or in between. About the only caution is to avoid extended trickle charging.

With the low self discharge NiMh cells I think the best approach is to use them and plan on replacing them every 8 - 10 years.

Tom

steph996

Newly Enlightened
voici un site français avec beaucoup de informatiosome srawing and how to build chargeur or dischargeur.

http://www.ni-cd.net/accusphp/index.php

some of you know how to contact skyrc, i send 3 message to (contact us) but no answer.

i bought my on bangood, they want give me some money back but my charger is uselesss.

And it still not working if i don't connect usb pc link to my computer. That is very strange.

Any hard reset ??? is possible?.

have a good day
steph

tadatin

Newly Enlightened
Years ago with normal NiMh cells the best way to get the most life was to store them discharged and once every 30 - 90 days (pick a cycle that you can live with) give them a charge/discharge cycle. This seemed to work very well.

Now we have low self discharge NiMh cells. They don't seem to care if they are stored charged, discharged, or in between. About the only caution is to avoid extended trickle charging.

With the low self discharge NiMh cells I think the best approach is to use them and plan on replacing them every 8 - 10 years.

Tom

Thank you.

I have maybe about 15 years old GP NiMH AA cells, rated 2000 mAh, now measured with MC3000 and they still have about 1500 - 1700 mAH.

My friend have four or five years old cells (Energiser, BTY and some no-names), rated about 3000 mAh, but now measured they barely have 1500 mAH. Usage and charge pattern - about the same as mine (flashlights, kids toys, BC-900 charger with default 200 mA settings). Why fifteen years old batteries perform better than five years cells?

And my main question is about the best charging patterns. Charging 0.3C better for maximum lifespan than 1C? Or it is only a myth?

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Tadatin,

Higher capacity cells are usually less robust. That's about the best I can do on your question of why 15 year old cells perform better than 5 year old cells.

As far as charging rates go I think the chargers termination of a charge is more important than the actual charge rate. I charge cells in the 0.5C to 2C charge rate and usually don't run into problems until the charger misses a termination. Once a termination is missed damage is done to the cell and things go down hill from there.

Tom

MarioJP

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Why can't voltage be used for termination instead? I had one eneloop missed termination and 4000mAh being put into the cell. The other 3 did terminate like it suppose to. Ever since that event. I started using voltage method instead. What went wrong??

steph996

Newly Enlightened
i'll ask them when or if they sent you an answer email :)

Hi Kreisl, and thanks.

I have been contacted by them, and i have to said i am happy with there work and assistance they are really professionnal.

I will do a new test for them.

anyway thanks a lot, if we don't find a solution, i will try to send back to the seller.
I bought it for miniz, but on the track i can't be with charger, computer etc.

Ferdinando

Newly Enlightened

Why can't voltage be used for termination instead? I had one eneloop missed termination and 4000mAh being put into the cell. The other 3 did terminate like it suppose to. Ever since that event. I started using voltage method instead. What went wrong??

for what I know, voltage termination can be used only
as backup method, unless a so-called top-off charge
is performed by the charger (together with voltage termination)

I.e. voltage termination (alone) does not guarantee the cells are fully charged.
(cells with same voltage could be filled with different
mah amounts)

tjh

Enlightened

It can be.
Just set it to 1.48v or whatever you want.

You can even do a trickle charge for a period of time afterwards, just like a trusty c9000

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought it for miniz, but on the track i can't be with charger, computer etc.
miniz, kyosho, orion, steph, you must be from the rc hobby scene, ben venus in the flashlight world ! :wave:

that's an oem, there is one with fixed bays and one with sliders, i know all about the two, the making folks, and yes both are modeled after the sky chargers. those folks attempted to make a sky-similar universal charger with the goal to offer it cheaper on the market than sky's models. flattering to see that other rc hobby companies felt inspired to develop a similar charger series but imho it's unfortunate that they didn't aim to surpass sky quality. Coke or Pepsi, what's better? :thumbsup:

btw, mc3000 can do life. not lipo because lipo isn't cylindrical.