SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where, in the US, can one buy or pre-order this charger?

nowhere in the US by the end of this year

( you could ask your preferred local US dealer if he's going to stock it in 2016 and also going to offer it on amazonDOTcom marketplace )

(( 2 overseas vendors, HKE and GB who have been taking pre-orders, plan to ship out to international end consumers later this month ))

Last edited:

>PETE<

Newly Enlightened
Viking - Could you not use an AA adapter to to 9V in order to charge 9V batteries? The chemistry will still be the same.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you not use an AA adapter to to 9V in order to charge 9V batteries? The chemistry will still be the same.

No, you cannot do this. 9V battery is NOT supported, even if the 9V is internally made up by a series of NiMH cells (1.2V+1.2V+1.2V+… = 9V).

The MC3000 (and its programs) is specified for single cylindrical cell only, see the list of supported chemistries and sizes. If there are future battery chemistries and sizes, Sky will check if they can be added to the list after a firmware upgrade.

If you have a 9V battery, don't you ever try to charge (or discharge) it somehow with the MC3000, with or without adapter, doesn't matter. I hope this was clear enough. :caution:

clintb

Enlightened
So this thread has blown up and I don't really have the time to read the whole thing (sorry, I'm supposed to be working right now!)

Where, in the US, can one buy or pre-order this charger?

thanks!
None in the US. hkequipment.net or gearbest.com are your pre-order choices.

Hey kreisl

When this charger ships and this thread - at least as an introduction/soliciting device for it has ended in one sense - it would be great to have the entire thread from beginning to (the then anyway) end in one (pdf?) file as a record of the history and user-inputs that have contributed to what promises to be a revolutionary charger. Now I could systematically copy and paste each page (so far 24) one by one in to Adobe and add them all together to make one document. But one downloadable file would be much better. Can we arrange that? - would it be worth it?

And of course it would also be a fascinating record of all your hard work.

Last edited:
I see the 5v OUTPUT on the RHS, but does it also have 5V (USB) INPUT powered by 12V (cigarette lighter style) as apparently stated in this quote below? If so, where? - LHS? (this side is not shown in any photo I have seen) Or have I misunderstood?

only the power bank function (5V powered by batteries) was removed, but not 5V powered by 12V supply.

Last edited:

Viking

Enlightened
2015-11-16_14-58-0242ssh.png

:)
Fantastic!
This charger continue to impress me :)

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Viking - Could you not use an AA adapter to to 9V in order to charge 9V batteries? The chemistry will still be the same.

I have recently converted all my fire alarms' 9V batteries to 2s AAA battery holders with 10440 LiIons in them.

Apart from that, Kreisl, have you read this, and what's your opinion about it?

I want to propose a function I know and like at the iCharger line. Here, you can program a "smart low input voltage protection". This means, that one can program in a specific input voltage level threshold. Once this low level is reached, the charger does not shut down with an error message, but it reduces the charge power automatically in order not to overstrain the power supply. This is especially useful when the charge power has the potential to demand more power than the power supply can provide.
Say, one has a power supply 12V/2A. One would then program the low voltage threshold at 11.5V. Most power supplys lower the output voltage when they are almost overloaded, and do not shut dowm immediately. So, when the charger senses that the input voltage has fallen to 11.5V, it lowers it's power until it is just right. It's a feedback loop designed to draw the most power from any power supply without overloading it. It works wonderful, and I would love to see this feature on the MC3000 as well.

OK - when put that way 11-18V I get it. I was thinking that 12V meant that it could be charged by car charger.

i guess so.
LHS has nothing. very boring. you can check the 360° model on sky webpage.
5V output is powered by 12V input. actually 11-18V input afaik.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK - when put that way 11-18V I get it. I was thinking that 12V meant that it could be charged by car charger.
i haven't tested it, maybe it could be charged by car charger but it's too big and heavy for car charger anyway, not recommended😏

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apart from that, Kreisl, have you read this, and what's your opinion about it?
i have read it. let's postpone the discussion and get our hands, mine and yours!, on the charger first i'd say ��
thanks for your thoughts

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably it would work. However, a car's 12V cigarette/accessory outlet is unregulated (can be 9-16V or higher - see below), so it would be safer to regulate it to appropriate constant voltage, e.g. via a laptop car adapter (< $10 on eBay). Often chargers don't handle well large/quick input voltage fluctuations, e.g. iChargers were fried when users fed them 24V from two 12V server PSUs in series, and one PSU shutdown.

Below is what Wikipedia says on the accessory voltage range:

Wikipedia said:
A second problem is that nominally "Twelve-Volt" power in cars fluctuates widely. The actual voltage will be approximately 12.5 volts when dormant (less in cold conditions), approximately 14.5 volts when the engine and the alternator/generator are operating (more when cold), and may briefly drop as low as 5-6 volts during engine start.[7] When used, DC to DC converters will usually compensate for small fluctuations, but reliable power may not be available without an independent battery-powered uninterruptible power supply.

Rarely, more extreme cases of voltage fluctuation can occur when the car battery is disconnected while the engine is running, or when the car receives a jump start. When the battery is disconnected while the engine is running, a load dump transient can produce very high voltages as the built in voltage regulator will try to charge a discharged/non present battery (disconnecting the battery while the engine is running may also ruin the diodes in the alternator). A car receiving a jump start from a truck may be subject to a 24 V electrical system used in some vehicles.[8] Also, a "double battery jump-start" is performed by some tow truck drivers in cold climates.[9]

Equipment intended to be powered by the receptacle needs to account for intermittent contact, and voltages outside the nominal 12 V DC, such as maximum voltage 9-16 V continuously, or maximum voltage of 20 V lasting 1 hour, 24 V lasting 1 minute, and 40 V lasting 400 ms.[10] Protection component tolerance example ratings are +50 to -60 V DC.[11] Robust equipment must tolerate temperatures varying between −40 to +85 °C (−40 to 185 °F), plus possible high humidity and condensation of water.[10]

Last edited:

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
When can we expect to see $45 clones of the MC3000 from the Chinese counterfeiting industry? I'm not interested in buying a counterfeit, just curious.

When I was shopping for a RC hobby charger a year ago, I noticed the SkyRC iMAX B6 was available in many counterfeit versions. If you wanted to buy a genuine iMAX B6, you had a challenge ahead of you.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was shopping for a RC hobby charger a year ago, I noticed the SkyRC iMAX B6 was available in many counterfeit versions. If you wanted to buy a genuine iMAX B6, you had a challenge ahead of you.

The SkyRC and motley other Chinese B6 hobby chargers are all clones of the original B6 made by Bantam (a Korean company). Most of them all started with stolen firmware, etc. By now there are clones of clones of clones, etc, usually with lower quality components, e.g. lower tolerance resistors so less accuracy. Soon there will probably be self-evolving mutant chargers reproducing via 3D printers. Be prepared: hide your cells, don't feed the mutants...

Last edited:

Paradroid

Newly Enlightened
Been looking for a charger for a little while and this one seems to fit the bill so I've preordered one. didn't thien $89.99 was too bad compared to some others out there. now just have to wait for it to be delivered.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Available?

Some forum people (not me) have these days received pre-production samples from HKE and GB for the purpose of delivery of early test results. Feel free to ask around or in public, the ublichen verdachtigen if they are receiving or have received a sample from HKE or GB for testing and or review. I am looking forward to seeing all published tests, maybe i can use and discuss their results in my own review, i don't mind.

The final production version is currently still in production. I dunno but it may take another 2 weeks until they're ready for shipping out to HKE and GB. While the final production version is not readily available, GB has an on-going pre-order promotion with reduced pricey until the end of this month, November. HKE's pre-order price is 6 bucks higher :faint:

I'll test the final production version. I've tested enough pre-production samples in the past 2.5yrs :nana:

Last edited: