SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

vex_zg

Newly Enlightened
Hi, your very first post on CPF and then in this thread, my double welcome! :)

Yes, dV/dt delta peak sensibility (for NiMH/NiCd) and BattTemp threshold (for all chemistries) are configurable per user program, see my older post about options and parameter ranges. The two are program options, not global settings. In contrast, SysTemp threshold is a global quantity to protect the device itself (not the battery) from damage, e.g. on a hot summer afternoon.

From my experience, at typical loads good condition batteries don't get hot in the MC3000 neither during charge nor during discharge. That's because the bay metal contacts don't get hot from the internal system heat and because the batteries have low internal resistance. Heck one could even mimic MH-C9000's charging algorithm, i.e. 1.47V cut-off voltage plus top-off charge, which would never lead to warm batteries.

Q. Yoh man. What exactly do you mean with "typical loads"?
A. Yoh man. I mean that you don't operate the charger at its very extreme limits 24/7 at all times, or will you?

Q. No man, i won't. Yet could you specify, gimme some numbers for exemplification?
A. As a rule of thumb, the max. charging power is ~13W per slot, the max. discharging power is ~13W per device. They are called "full load".

Q. So?
A. I'd define a "typical load" situation as 30~70% of these operational extremes ymmv.

Well I Actually tried to register just to post in this thread, but then the username was taken, and then it turns out that I registered long time back but never posted :)

I'm actually dwelling whether to buy 3 hobby charger (bulky!) or this one once it's out.

When I charge my AA NiMHs using 1-1.5A, they do get quite hot, 40-50C, and in 50% of the cases they reach this temperature even before they trip 5mV voltage drop used to detect end of charge. That's why I use temp threshold to not cook them, so they terminate either on dV/dT or temperature. Some cells would even go to 60*C without tripping 5mV drop, happens when I forget to connect temp sensor. If you use too low current, not to heat the cells, then perhaps you will never get the dV/dT. So IMHO, for a dream charger, you would need temp sensor per cell.

So Just to be sure: is it possible to terminate charge of a single cell, if temp threshold for that particular cell would be reached?

Thanks.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it would be possible to terminate the charging of a single cell, if temp threshold for that particular cell was reached. The charger has 4 BattTemp sensors and 2 sensors for measuring SysTemp. A total of 6 temperature sensors!

Erh don't buy 3 hobby chargers. Better buy 1 mc3k lol ;)

vex_zg

Newly Enlightened
Yes it would be possible to terminate the charging of a single cell, if temp threshold for that particular cell was reached. The charger has 4 BattTemp sensors and 2 sensors for measuring SysTemp. A total of 6 temperature sensors!

Erh don't buy 3 hobby chargers. Better buy 1 mc3k lol ;)

6 temp sensors seems about right number :)

allright then, I'll hold of buying 3 more hobby chargers :)

I hate my current setup, I have like 5 different chargers and I always have to fiddle with magnets and different cradles. and aligator clips. I really do hope mc3k gets into mass production soon.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
do you know if the charger project is already in mass production scale?
Sorry for the late response, i had to check with them. As i understood full scale production has not started yet because of lead time for artwork, retail cardboard provision, user manual printing, a.o. little things for preparation on the way. :crazy:
anim_10csj1sei.gif

Last edited:

Dubois

Enlightened
Previously it has been mentioned that the charger would be shipped without adapter.
Could this still be an option for us that already have one? I'd rather keep the price down.

I don't recall that shipping without a power supply was ever definitely confirmed - I think it was always an unknown.

I would imagine that the makers would be loathe to supply without a decent power supply. We have seen with the Opus how important this was, and SkyRC probably don't want their customer service to be inundated with "this thing isn't working properly" calls, only to discover that an inadequate power supply, not provided by them, was the cause.

Personally I'm glad the adapter is being supplied. Oh, and I want a pretty box too.:)

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Opi, Klari, Rayi, Rofi, Feni, all correct ;)

Iirc the user manual lists charger, adapter, and manual as PACKAGE CONTENTS.
It's confirmed info that the package includes adapter (with correct mains plug) and that it does not include USB cable.
The shopper could ask the retailer for a special, i imagine easygoing sellers/distributors would indulge.
And if the seller did, i don't believe that the shopper could save many many $$'s.
(EDIT: anyway lemme ask them…)

I want de pretty box too. Therefore I won't get my retail unit earlier than sellers :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, I have a feeling that the big plane from the sky (SKYrc, that is) is about to land, so let's be ready with our coin purses, big coin purses.....when, don't ask me!

>PETE<

Newly Enlightened
Is there going to be a discounted group buy run when these become available?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sharkie sorry, really no info exists yet re when, amazon, Canada, etc. All such info will crystallize at a later point.

Pete, i asked and they're puzzled, not happy with the concept of a group buy and it would certainly not happen off their factory, if at all. The flashlight gb's i've been seeing in the recent past were realized by big Chinese etailers, mostly BG and GB, and really nobody knows at this point if all parties would consent to a gb, given that those dealers do get hold of stock, or sufficient stock.

I have no saying in it anyway, literally 'none of my biz' to even chat about it — i just know that the whole distribution, marketing, availability, and pricing thing is challenging so let's give them the time to figure everything out.

billcushman

Enlightened
I just received a reply from SkyRC requesting information on the MC3000 release date and MSRP.

"Thank you for your inquiry.
It will be released end of Oct and the MSRP hasn't beeen confirmed yet."

Curetia

Newly Enlightened
Oh no :( one more month to wait is not fair :thinking:

What is the meaning of MSRP?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
huh.

that's a bummer :ohgeez:

seems like things are creeping forward these days, me sorry too :mecry:

Well, i think "released" means the actual in-stock availability with local dealers, together with the announcement on the website 'Now available from your dealer' or so. And "end" doesn't need to mean the very end of the month, it's probably a safe conservative estimate, i guess. Anyway it is a bummer. :sigh:

[DEL]
MSRP
is the list price or UVP, often valid for 1 year. For example the MSRP of MH-C9000 in 2015 is $79.95 but because of fierce open competition some dealers are willing to accept a smaller margin and sell at a lower price. Supply and demand would regulate the lowest market price then. If only 1 or 2 dealers worldwide carry a particular item, then it is unlikely that both dealers start a price war, especially if they are friendly colleagues. They'd give each other a phone call and sell at exactly the MSRP, and manufacturer, sellers, middlemen would all be content. Imo the important concept to know about MSRP is that it's a nominal price and does not necessarily mean that you must fork out this much for the item. It's the start price in a price tracking history, and the market determines the actual price range. Also don't forget special holidays such as Black Friday sales week, Pre-Xmas discounts, etc.

On premium brand flashlights there is also a MAP in addition to MSRP. But even then, dealers are allowed to advertise and offer specials like Deals of The Day, as seen on the other forum.
[/DEL]