SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Geppo

Newly Enlightened

Lygte-info: BT-C700 charges AAA at 700 mA.

That's too high.
Maybe did you miss something?
"The charge mode can select between 200, 300, 400, 500, 700 and 1000, default is 400mA. The 1000mA is only available in slot #1 and #4 and only when slot #2 and #3 is empty."

Surely 700mA, in my opinion, are too much for a a small AAA. Anyway its default is 400mA and you still can lower it. These are (about) the same values available in Opus BT-C2000 or its clone, the EverActive NC3000 (it only adds 1400mA, but this value is not real) and they are quite good for a lot of batteries.

The charge current used by BT-C700 is about 1A pulsed (low frequency pwm) while BT-C2000 uses 1.25A. Its duty cycle is varied to achieve the average current chosen.
As I wrote, I did not noticed any premature degradation in AAA or AA batteries using this kind of chargers.

I consider much more dangerous to miss the correct end of charge point and to "boil" a battery. This NEVER happended to me with these kind of chargers.

Maybe using a DC charge (not pulsed) you theorically could improve a bit the battery life, if you would be able to charge them without overcharging them due to the miss of the correct identification of the full charge point, but this seems to be quite difficult.
Anyway I don't think I can complain about it, considering I still use batteries bought on 2015, always charged using those type of chargers.

puschpull

Newly Enlightened
Hello kreisl.
I'm new to this thread. I have had my MC3000 charger for about 14 days. I am happy with it.
FW 1.15
HW 2.2
I have a question: while reading through this thread I came across the sw option to save settings only for sensitive programs. From charger to PC and vice versa. See quote above.
Which software is it? And where can I download it?
Thank you
Peter

Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

The main functionality of DEX/MC3000 is (comprehension note: manually = your hands dirty on the device):

• DEX-logging data to external screen (you need to start slots on the charger manually!) and DEX-saving data to PC-file format (OSD, CSV, BMP/PNG). We learned from Ravel and the DEX-maker that, in the end, you don't even need a PC/laptop for long-term logging: Raspi is a 2-4Watts PCB which could do the DEX-logging instead of your remote PC/laptop.
  • DEX-backup of your manually entered 30 programs in visual PC-file format (TXT) or functional PC-file format (XML). The XML-file would be also suitable for direct sharing; just don't change the original file name, then overwrite the existing file with the shared one. The XML-file is not meant for public sharing, i am just saying that it could be used for it instead of sharing TXT-file or reposting the TXT-file contents on forums.
  • DEX-restore of backed up programs from the XML-file. The restore is fugitive since the current settings in the slot are overwritten but not in the device memory. The 30 programs in the device memory remain untouched when you do a DEX-restore, similar to the workings of the bluetooth app. For example, you could run 4 programs sourced from your fliend's XML temporarily in the charger bay, none of which matches any of the 30 programs stored on the charger; basically making your charger host 34 different programs at that moment: 30 device programs plus 4 'slot programs'. When you stop a slot or play with the device keys lol, the DEX-restored program in the slot will be gone and the slot is ready to start the indicated program number.

The above explanation of DEX functionality answers your question: No it is not possible to create a charging profile from scratch in DEX.

For building a library of profiles, a big TXT-file or summ ting, one would do the following:

1. Create charging profiles manually on the device, up to 30 different ones at a time. Either by heart from scratch or by peeking at a small TXT-file/printout ;)
  2. Send the 30 programs to DEX for a DEX-backup. DEX automatically creates that XML-file, the file name and location are fixed!
  3. In the DEX 'MC3000-Dialog' window use the <Clipboard> button and copy paste the programs in visual format to a single TXT-file. At the end of the day your TXT-file will contain 30 programs in visual format.
  4. Go to 1., and repeat the steps. Add as many different programs to the TXT-file as you want.
  5. Now you have a big library in form of 1 single big TXT-file. Feel free to share (file upload or content copy paste) or print out.

For illustration purposes lemme repost the animated really awesome GIF demonstrating the 'MC3000-Dialog'. i am pretty proud of the file and i will never get tired of reposting it or its URL:

dex328fw112worksdkj6v.gif

a106liugh.gif

lol :D

So I found it. It's in the "Device Tool Box" settings. I was too distracted to find it.
So now it's okay and the problem is solved.
:) (Sorry and Thanks)

Vasilije

Newly Enlightened
In 2016 I got my first MC3K and it is slowly falling apart, the plastic is of desperate quality and I had to repair it several times. The question is how long it will last. So I ordered a new one, I hope the quality of the material has improved. It is the latest version with two fans. What are your experiences with the older model, has anyone else had problems with breaking plastic parts?

Geppo

Newly Enlightened
SKYRC:
Sure our MC3000 is a good charger, but you can't take it as the best in the world. I was never convinced by charging high-capacity D batteries, especially with the first firmware, charging at 2000mA stopped without a valid reason.
For D size batteries I use the following parameters:
Charge current = 2.5A
Target voltage = 1.60V
Delta peak = 0dV
Trickle charge = OFF

Charge ends correctly, highest battery temperature = 32C
Tested batteries are EBL 10000mAh (7500mAh real).
I forgot I already did a quite extensive testing on eight EverActive D size batteries 10000mAh (9000mAh real) using the same parameters as above except charge current = 2A. It works too but I preferred to rise a bit the charge current to stay above a C/4 charge current.

My SkyRC MC3000 charger is the last release with last available firmware (1.15). I did not notice any issue except the bad designed battery contacts (especially on the positive pole). It is very difficult to succeed to put your batteries "straight" in the slots due to the "domes" existing on the contacts which are not centered with D size batteries contacts (about the same using AAA batteries).

hc900

Newly Enlightened
With the 5000mAh D batteries
Charge current = 2.0A
Target voltage = 1.60V
Delta peak = 3dV
Trickle charge = OFF
and some time it display breacking connection

Of the MC3000 I have 2 hardware release:
first series with the fan blowing from top to bottom
second series with fan blowing from bottom to top and improved display

I don't have the third series, the one with dual fans

hc900

Newly Enlightened
In 2016 I got my first MC3K and it is slowly falling apart, the plastic is of desperate quality and I had to repair it several times. The question is how long it will last. So I ordered a new one, I hope the quality of the material has improved. It is the latest version with two fans. What are your experiences with the older model, has anyone else had problems with breaking plastic parts?
Few year ago, on eBay and GearBest I've purchased 2 plastic cases, for repair .... a bad plastic quality

Geppo

Newly Enlightened
Few year ago, on eBay and GearBest I've purchased 2 plastic cases, for repair .... a bad plastic quality
Interesting..... So, despite its bulky dimensions and its heaviness it sounds like it uses fragile materials. I did not have this feeling, but I just own it from mid-December.

hc900

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if anything has changed for your third generation.
The plastics of the first generation broke inside exactly where the springs of the sliders hooked.

;)Do you speak Neapolitan or Venetian language?

mactavish

Newly Enlightened
Odd, noticed a NEWER MC3000 Manual on the SkyRC website. Dated "12-12-22", version "1.17".
The previous version of the manual I have is V.1.14.

The firmware is STILL V1.15, from 2 years ago, not sure why a "new" manual would be released, hard to easily detect any difference in the two PDF's.

hc900

Newly Enlightened
Odd, noticed a NEWER MC3000 Manual on the SkyRC website. Dated "12-12-22", version "1.17".

The firmware is STILL V1.15, from 2 years ago, not sure why a "new" manual would be released, hard to easily detect any difference in the two PDF's.
As printed on page 1:
User manual of year 2020 ?? [Version 1.17]

mactavish

Newly Enlightened
As printed on page 1:
User manual of year 2020 ?? [Version 1.17]

Why release a new manual, if nothing has changed in the hardware?
BTW: Once again, a new IOS APP version was released, saying the same old thing, "fixes", NOT sure what was fixed or added as they don't say.....

hc900

Newly Enlightened
The manual has endless problems, in the sense that it is not simple and it is not understandable enough.

For Apps, there are various problems for Android: little things compared to the 2017 App.
But there are still some technical problems, instability in Bluetoot, and little space to store battery profiles.

mactavish

Newly Enlightened
The manual has endless problems, in the sense that it is not simple and it is not understandable enough.

For Apps, there are various problems for Android: little things compared to the 2017 App.
But there are still some technical problems, instability in Bluetoot, and little space to store battery profiles.

While I don't disagree, none of what you have written in your responses address my questions. But thanks....

hc900

Newly Enlightened

The MC3000 are the best seller for SKYRC, a long seller from 2015 ...
A new user manual is as "a sign of life" for the new buyers.

Slipps666

Newly Enlightened
I bought this charger with the intention of charging AA lithium recharable batteries like the Kratak range , but unfortunately it will not charge them. I wrote to skyRC and this was there reply :

It cannot charge AA Lithium batteries and we would not consider to add that charging profile at the moment.

Thanks
Best Regards
Phoebe Sun

Your Support for SkyRC Team
so pretty disappointed

wus

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a link to these Kratak rechargeable Lithium AAs? Google doesn't seem to know them.

My MC3000 recharges Lithium-Ion (LiIon) cells without issues. I don't have AA size, but I do have 16340, AAA, 26500 and 18650. I am sure it will recharge AA cells of the same technology - LiIon - equally well.

If you are talking of AA Lithium batteries - these are not rechargeable.

What exactly did you ask SkyRC?

Slipps666

Newly Enlightened
this was my question :

So the skyrc mc3000 cannot charge Kratax AA Lithium even in expert mode? I am surprised as these batteries are becoming more popular now. Surely you can add the charging profile to the firmware
regards

wus

Newly Enlightened
Ah, Kratax... now it becomes clear.

I'm not surprized that the MC3000 can't recharge them. This sort of batteries, which use 3,7V LiIon cells internally and built-in step down converters to output 1.5V, use all sorts of different "tricks" to recharge the internal LiIon cell. Obviously, this needs 4.2 Volt, so this has to be provided to the cell, somehow bypassing the step down converter.

Some have micro USB connectors on the side, others an additional contact ring around the + button top, some require 4.2, others 4.5, again others even 5.0V on the + button. I'm not sure if it is at all possible to detect the proper way for all of these different special charging methods, only by measuring voltage, current and probably internal resistance through the regular 2 contacts, which are the only means the MC3000 has.