SL Litebox 20w spot / flood

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

Has anyone own this light??? i would like to get some info of an owner.

How bright and how's its throw of the spot?

Thanks

phyhsuts

Enlightened
oren1s - I do NOT have the light. But I have a Sears Ultra Beam whose sealed beam unit I replaced with Streamlight's PAR36 20W spot unit (#45913) so they are effectively the same as far as beam quality and brightness goes. Reason for doing this is that I do not need the long runtime of the Litebox. The UltraBeam/45913 combuination is also much cheaper.
This is one of my best spotlight. NOT the brightest, but the size/brightness ratio works wery well for me. The spot is very tight (the lamp can be focused with great precision) and the throw very impressive. I also use a Osram HLX 64265 (6V 30W with a 1.5 x1.5 mm filament)which makes the spot very symmetrical and very bright indeed. Recommended

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Oren1s,

I do not own that light, but have used several of them during construction and inspection jobs.

When fitted with the flood bulb they produce a wall of light that is very effective for working.

The spot light is quite tight. They are a little bulky to carry around, but quite durable.

We were using the 8 watt bulbs.

Tom

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Thanks

Where can i find the Osram HLX 64265 ? and what its price?

phyhsuts

Enlightened
I have no idea where it is sold in the USA. I bought mine in Singapore. It cost me a little less than USD 10 each. Look to get it from places selling lamps for microscopes. The 64265 is a lamp used in microscopes.

Tom M

Newly Enlightened
I have one and keep it in the truck on charge at all times. The brightness and throw are good for a long running light -of course they do not compare to a 55 or 100w spotlight. I find the spot is not as tight as I would like, still decent throw, though. This light is useful for its long run time and extreme ruggedness, but its light output, while good , is not "outstanding".

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Tom M, do you use flood or spot, 8 watt or 20 watt? I have heard that flood is quite good in coverage.

Bill

phyhsuts

Enlightened
Tom M - The bulb used is a G4 bipin. These gets bumped out of position easily. If the beam is not tight, try focusing the bulb. My experience with the 45913 20W spot assemblies (I have four) has so far been very positive - AFTER adjusting the filament positions! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
I just got the Litebox 20w spot, its a nice light, built nice. first thing to do, i had to see the INSIDE .... :) The batt is new 12 Amp rather than 10 Amp. I think it will be nice to have a brighter bulb and may be replacing the reflector with carley .

phyhsuts

Enlightened
oren1s - The lamp assembly of the Litebox is very good. I doubt if you will find one that is significantly better at about the same price at the moment. As mentioned else where, I use the lamp assembly in a Sears UltraBeam. The reflector IS plastic, so one cannot use too high power a bulb than the 20W used. The ideal bulb I found is the Osram HLX 64265 (used most often in microscopes, but also in projectors) which has a square filament profile. The resultant spot is a little squarish but very tight. It has a very respectable throw too. Have not tried (and I am not sure if it is wise! But there again, when are CPF members noted for being wise about wanting ever brighter lights??) using a HLX64616 (12V 75W G4 base 25 hours life lamp). IF the reflector does not melt, that should be quite a light. Runtime could be a problem too as it needs a 12V battery in place of its standard 6V one. Easy with the Litebox as it has a much larger battery compartment. 10 pieces of 9Ah NiMH cells should give reasonable runtime.

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Hi Phyhsuts,

Thanks, the Carley reflector is aluminum so it can handel higher Wattage tho i don't know what lense it comes with, if any.

Problem i can see with 12V Gel Cell is it will be 7Amp and need a different charging circuit which installed inside the battery compartment.