SL Propolymer 4AA Luxeon Queston

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a SL 4AA Propoly Lux from Brightguys last night and noticed while the beam is real nice, it tends to be a little on the greenish side when compared it the output of other LED lights (Dorcy, Propoly 7LED, and the good Costco Lux lights). While it's not as greenish as the bad Costco Lux, it is greenish compared to the output of other LED lights. Just wondering if this is normal or if I might have received a dud.

DimBeam

Enlightened
I just got mine also from BrightGuys and the beam is very white. I would return it.

Gryffin

Enlightened
I'm with the others... my ProPoly is white like snow. You must have a bad one.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all. It's kind of what I was afraid of. I have a local Streamlight warranty dealer as well at one of our uniform dealers, I'll see if they can do anything before shipping it back.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light works properly and puts out white light, its not defective. Would you return a Maglite because the white light is tinted yellow? Luxeons have tint variation. Thats just the way they are...

Mark

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your input, but a Maglite uses an tungsten bulb and by it's very nature would output light in the yellowish end of the light spectrum. Additionally, you'll also find that bulbs ware excluded as warranty items on just about any tungsten based flashlight product.

Yes, Luxeons do have variations and that is why they are binned.

I just got off the phone with one of your neighbor's ... Streamlights repair supervisor who apparently does not agree with your quality control standards. While I'm sure the response from one of the Chinese merchants or manufacturers may be 'tough luck', Streamlight's first and immediate response was to return it, and that a greenish cast would not be acceptable quality. As a matter of fact, he told me that if my local warranty station had any concerns, I should refer them to him for confirmation. Now that's a company that stands behind their product. I guess it's why Streamlight calls it a 'No Excuses' Warranty.

On the other hand, I can't think of anything bad experience that I've had with either Maglite or Streamlight, or even their predecessor Kel-Lite. That's just the way they are ...

[ QUOTE ]
Minjin said:
If the light works properly and puts out white light, its not defective. Would you return a Maglite because the white light is tinted yellow? Luxeons have tint variation. Thats just the way they are...

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought 2 Streamlight Propolymer 4AA 1 Watt Luxeon lights. When you look at both beams, they look white. But when you compare the lights to a whiter beam, the beam from both Propolymers have a very slight green tint to it. Both lights have the exact same tint to them.

flashman

Newly Enlightened
Could I ask if anyone has tried (and had a problem) using Lithium AA's in this flashlight? Either Energizer L91 or Battery Station Lithium AA? Thanks.

flashman

Newly Enlightened
I thought spacers were just to take up space. I guess I would need to find one that had a specific amount of resistance?

flashman

Newly Enlightened
I called Streamlight and got an email from the Chief Engineer (wow!) who said "the consensus among the electronics guys is that it will work OK." But he said they haven't actually tested it. So, I'm probably going to give it a shot in the name of science.

JBL14

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flashman said:
I called Streamlight and got an email from the Chief Engineer (wow!) who said "the consensus among the electronics guys is that it will work OK." But he said they haven't actually tested it. So, I'm probably going to give it a shot in the name of science.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious to know how this works out. I have this light and I e-mailed Streamlight's customer support with this question, and all they said in return was this:

"This practice is not recommended or supported by Streamlight. Doing so will void the lifetime warranty of the light."

flashman

Newly Enlightened
Well, I tried it with 4 Energizer L91's and it's still working, so far. Haven't really used it for more than a couple mins.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the L91's exclusivly in my 4AA without any problems. Just wish it was a little brighter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but hey, it's a great emergency light, especially with L91 batteries for the shelf life.

JBL14

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flashman said:
Well, I tried it with 4 Energizer L91's and it's still working, so far. Haven't really used it for more than a couple mins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're the designated guinea pig now, since I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Keep us posted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KarlTiger

Newly Enlightened
CromagNet, do you find SL PP 4AA Luxeon bright enough to be used comfortably as camping/backpacking light ? I am looking for a good camping/backpacking light and want something with good output.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awww...don't let CroMag fool you. He is making it sound like a dim beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif My SL Propoly has a great throwing, white, beam. It has a beam that is brighter than my Pelican Lux III and very close to the brightness of my LionHearts. (I just happen to have the Pelican and LionHearts next to me.) And I'm not even using fancy cells in the SL. I'm still using the Duracells that came with the light.