Small AA-powered LED headlamps?

paulr

Flashaholic
Pedalinbob, your 2aa/micropuck light does sound interesting. For this application I'd been thinking in terms of something lower powered and ready made. A 1AA (instead of 1AAA) version of the Tracer would be perfect.

StuU

Enlightened
Thanks stringj. These headlamps seem pretty rare. Maybe I will order one from Pelican.

Kiu

Enlightened
I like my BD ZENIX IQ very much. Good runtime with 2AA. Total 5 or 6 level of brightness. Just swap the original LD to HD if you want more flood light on high.

Barry_Handler

Newly Enlightened
Hi-
New to site but looks interesting. I'm trying to see if I can adapt an LED headlight for use in the operating room. One came on the market (www.visiled.com) last year but I cannot contact the makers to get a price (have heard they're asking around $3000) I've found a cheap $25 headlamp from China with a ?1W luxeon star. It's not bright enought to keep up with a halogen or xenon source I presently use. It runs on three AAA batteries and I'd like mine to use a 7-12 V rechargeable lithium and ideally should run for 4-8 hrs. The light from the headlamp I bought was too blue. Anyone with any ideas?

cy

Flashaholic
Welcome to cpf barry H

What you want to check out is the upcoming HDS 100 lumen headlamp.

to keep up with or exceed a hotwire setup, you would need either a tri-lux 3watt setup or a single high bin 5watt luxeon light.

I just did a EZ mod with a common Ray-o-vac headlamp by inserting a TWOK luxeon. runs on 3x AAA and gets 4-5 hours runtime. but is going to be no where near bright as you need.

To get that kind of runtime and 100+ lumens output. you may need to consider a belt battery pack.

rayovac headlamp 2.JPG

Barry_Handler

Newly Enlightened
cy-
Thanks for the reply. I've been studying the luxeon products. The five watt light, from what I can tell, will need a heat sink in addition to the one built into the PCB. I was hoping to use one or two lithium ion camcorder batteries to power this contraption. The guys at www.visiled.com claim 4 hrs run time and hot swapable batteries on the headband and the whole thing only weighs 16 oz. The hot swap seems doable if a large enough capacitor is added to the circuit but this is not that important a feature. With a battery belt they claim 9 hr run time. I just don't know how much light to expect from a single luxeon star 5. Everybody expresses light output in different measurements. As I said, I bought a headlamp prety similar to yours made in China. I opened it up and it has a luxeon star-presumably 1 watt. Also thought of swapping it out for the 3 or 5 watt star. I could put the voltage regulating circuit in the space that now holds the AAA batteries and attach a 7.2 volt lithium battery to the headstrap.

cy

Flashaholic
Barry H,

I just viewed the visiled page. can't tell much details. they don't go into spec's at all.

claiming a four hour runtime, with two luxeons. not that hard to achieve using 2x 18650 2400 mah li-ion cells.

amodotech sells 2x 18650, 2,400 mah protected li-ion packs for aprox. $20 ea.

one can drive 1x 3watt Kbin prefered with 1x 18650 in direct drive or with simple resister to limit current. there are a number of different boards available depending upon what is more important.

a 5watt's vf or forward voltagle is higher than 3watt. would need a board to boost voltage to required.

A very simple possible mod is to take a surefire U2's head and mount on a headband to a 18650 batt pack. but draw back is costs starts to mount up at $270 for U2. true not even close to $3K

advantages is you will have imediately a very reliable veriable 100 lumen white light source. please note lumens or flux is very hard to measure. lot's of bogus claims floating about.

general rule of thumb is a 3watt putting out 48 actual lumens out the front end is a very bright 3watt.

luxeon lottery count extra, a 5watt can range from 65 lumens to 150+ lumens out the front end. high bin 5watts are rare no matter how much $$$ you want to throw at a light.

then again you may be better off looking at HDS's upcoming 100 lumen headlamp system.

black diamond headlamp below is an excellent candidate for a luxeon mod using 3x AA cells for a Kbin Direct drive light.

u2 kl4 mod.JPG

black diamond.JPG

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Barry_Handler said:
the whole thing only weighs 16 oz.

[/ QUOTE ]

A headlamp that weighs 8 ounces is (for lack of a better term) a full sized headlamp. I think a 16 ounce headlamp would be a monster. A light weight headlamp usually weighs 2 to 3 ounces.