Small floodlight

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
DANG! You HAVE to take a look at the ZEBRALIGHT SC600FD PLUS! It's has 1500 out the front lumens with a frosted lens. Thier Pre-buy just started and are expected to ship on September 24th. I personally think this light would be just what you are looking for. $99, compact, tail stands, great tint, high output, 18650 light. :)

Wendee

Enlightened
Ven: Good! I hope I end up costing you, then we will be even, haha! :devil: It does sound like a great mule light, doesn't it? The videos and beam shots I've seen are awesome. You like 10-30 lumens at night? Yikes! I find even 3 lumens way too bright. I use 0.2 and 0.05 a lot. It's interesting how people feel so differently about output levels. It's a good thing there are so many different lights out there so that everyone can find what works best for them. :)

Noboneshotdog: The ZL SC600Fd III Plus sounds like such an awesome light (really awesome). The OP, blindedbythenight, is looking for a AA light though "I will stick to trying to find the brightest AA torch with a decent flood or at least a fair amount of spill". I kind of got off track when I mentioned the mule light (18650 battery light). Good suggestion though because if he ever wants an 18650 light, he should check that one out. I'm on the fence about buying one since learning about the new programmable UI (secondary set/group, maybe?) and additional output levels that ZL is coming out with. I really, really, can't wait for that light to come out in 2017! :party:
I guarantee that I'll be buying one of those when they're released. I'd pre-order one today, if I could. :naughty:

The best AA bright and floody light I could think to suggest to the OP was the TN4A. I don't own any other 4xAA lights though so I can't compare. I did do about a month's worth of research (tons & tons of reviews, videos and beam shots) before buying the TN4A though, and after receiving the first one, I bought two more because I liked it so much (another NW XPL for hubby to use and an XP-L HI for throw).

Do you guys know of any other bright AA lights that have useful flood (for a reflector light)?

ven

Flashaholic
I struggle with AA and floody lights, the thrunite t10 lights give off a nice overall beam for general use and in NW flavour................quite pleasant. The advantage of say a tn4a, would be run times over a single AA and the option of a diffuser . This simply gives you 2 lights in 1 as a general or throw type light can be easily made into a flood, not possible the other way!
Few diffusers

Also the t10 lights come with a little wand, handy for immediate close up light in the area.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
My choice would be: Zebralight SC600Fd Mk III Plus XHP50 Floody Neutral White 18650 Flashlight - currently in pre-order with first units expected to ship September 24th.Up to 1500 lumens (thermally regulated step-down)
2.25 ounces without battery
frosted lens for maximum flood
3.8" long / 1.2" head diameter / 0.98" body diameter

ven

Flashaholic
My choice would be: Zebralight SC600Fd Mk III Plus XHP50 Floody Neutral White 18650 Flashlight - currently in pre-order with first units expected to ship September 24th.Up to 1500 lumens (thermally regulated step-down)
2.25 ounces without battery
frosted lens for maximum flood
3.8" long / 1.2" head diameter / 0.98" body diameter

Looks very impressive!!!

How are the actual frosted lens, i have read a few reports of them cracking (without impact).

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks very impressive!!!

How are the actual frosted lens, i have read a few reports of them cracking (without impact).

Supposedly ZL is using Gorilla Glass. So no problems from ZL users that I have heard of.

Wendee

Enlightened
Looks very impressive!!!

It's not mentioned above but the new SC600Fd III Plus is also high CRI (93-95).

I was concerned about the glass too. I had heard they started using Gorilla Glass so I contacted them to verify this. This was their response: "All current batches of SC52, SC62, SC63, H600, and their F variants ... use Corning Gorilla Glass. "

I think Gorilla Glass is the strongest glass out there? I could be wrong but I remember reading something like that.

Hey! I just noticed that they didn't mention the H603 or the SC600! I saw a bunch of numbers and assumed all lights were mentioned! :ohgeez:
They must use it on those lights too though. Why would they build a new light using the old glass? I'm going to reply to that message and ask about H603 and SC600 lights. I'm sure they'll say that they use Gorilla Glass for those too.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Well you are all huge pains....I am now considering 18650 batteries and just generally rethinking everything...I was happy...I was decided...I was semi confident in my TN4a....and now....now I want a zebralight (despite my ocd not liking the lack of symmetry in a headlamp) the olight s1a baton i think it is and a whole host of other lights that arent AA.....this place is so bad for your wallet.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are still interested in putting 4 lux on target at the far side of a 100-meter-wide garden, you are going to need some oomph. If you are now open to Li-ion batteries, that puts the Convoy L6 back on the table. At $55 USD, the neutral-tint version may be just what the doctor ordered.

I think you have also realized that you need a smaller, general-purpose flashlight. That's where models such as the Olight S1A Baton come in.