Small hiking, waterproof, uber reliable headlamp recommendations

De-Lux

De-Lux

Enlightened
AW 18650 protected in one (SC64w)

That could be part of the problem. The SC64 requires an unprotected flat-top cell, not much longer than 65mm. A protected cell, being longer, would put a lot of pressure on the tail spring. I think almost all the new Zebralights require unprotected flat-top cells. They did this to allow them to make the lights as small as possible.
You got me thinking so I actually just measured the 18650 in my SC64 out of curiosity and it meassures in at precisely 65mm and upon closer inspection the battery is what appears to be Panasonic and not AW. At 65mm it still feels like excessive force is on the spring but dont really have another SC64 to compare. Would have been the logical explanation that the cell was too long but it does fall within the required length.. Also want to note that my intent is not to trash Zebralight. They are great lights in my opinion. I would not own several if I felt otherwise. The OP mentioned that he had multiple Armyteks fail at the tailcap and I am curious if it was a similar issue. Reality is that object mechanical in nature can and do fail. If uber reliability is if utmost importance to the OP then my recommendation is to carry a backup JIC. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Last edited: