Small Portable Radio's?

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
AM is just fine the way it is. The one station that I regularly listen to (oldies) used to have an online presence to stream, or look up songs on their playlist, but recently has been oos. They still play the long version of American Pie.

Scimmy

Newly Enlightened
Not exactly a radio, but... among other features you may listen to Air Band and FM with it. The KG-UV9D+ model may work a repeater.

Perhaps, the only Chinese manufacturer where specification fully corresponds to a real device.

I've been looking at something similar to that from Baofeng.. I didn't realise they covered AM airband.
Andy - G7MJV

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Have been listening to my Sangean DT-400W and Retekess PR15 more lately and it's amazing how better the sound is on the PR15. Took the PR15 to listen to during my lunch break and the music sounded great. Substituted the DT-400W the next day and regretted the switch. You can't beat push button tuning with the Sangean, and presets, and the two AA eneloop batter life (that's a LOT going for it lol) - but sound wise there's no comparison, imho.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Have been listening to my Sangean DT-400W and Retekess PR15 more lately and it's amazing how better the sound is on the PR15. Took the PR15 to listen to during my lunch break and the music sounded great. Substituted the DT-400W the next day and regretted the switch. You can't beat push button tuning with the Sangean, and presets, and the two AA eneloop batter life (that's a LOT going for it lol) - but sound wise there's no comparison, imho.
This is why a bluetooth (stereo) transmitter in one of these radios would rock as you could then pair it with whatever speaker you wanted to.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
bluetooth (stereo) transmitter...

No interest in that. It may be a thing, but it's not my thing.

Dusted off my Grado headphones (RS1, RS225, & RS80) and every one of the pads were deteriorating / falling apart and had to be thrown out. I still had a pair of yellow Sennheiser HD414 pads and they got put on the RS80s, and now are on the RS225. The RS80s come with a 3.5mm jack. With my vintage iPod nano 5th generation (w/Fm tuner), was listening to some FM classical and it sounded good.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Have been listening to a local AM oldies station using the speakers of a Sangean DT-400W and a Tecsun R-233, and the Tecsun wins out every time. A beautiful sound playing music. Like todderbert 2017 review says in the first video post comments below: true analog tuning is the only way to go. Got mine from Anon-Co for 15 bucks and change a couple years ago, and it's not even for sale now (don't see any on ebay either). Follow up review a year later (2018) is on the bottom.

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Another side by side speaker only + reception comparison: Sony ICF-P26 vs Tecsun R-233 on the local oldies AM station. No contest - the Tecsun shines with better sound and it brings in the station more clearly. I did take the P26 to a ball game and it did very well with ear buds listening to the game being called. No ball games curing co vid, so the R-233 will have to wait for that test.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Your Tecsun R-233 is, I think, kind of the big brother of my little Kaito KA-200. It also offers great reception and surprising clear audio for such a tiny radio. Almost puts some of the big boys to shame.

By the way, I'm missing StarHalo's input on radios and other stuff. Hope he hasn't given up on CPF.

Geoff

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes! No posts in almost 5 weeks!

Anyway, I hope all you wonderful folks who have contributed to this thread and who been so entertaining, informative, and so generous to me, have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year even in these troubled times.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spoke to Vlado to thank him for the timely tuning of my 7600, and 2010 since we had a snowstorm here...wasn’t necessary for the 6” dusting we got. But it was nice to feel prepared for the worst

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Capacitors needed replacement. Tuning was a bit off. Bunch of stuff listed in the email he sent I could forward to you

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spoke to Vlado to thank him for the timely tuning of my 7600, and 2010 since we had a snowstorm here...wasn’t necessary for the 6” dusting we got. But it was nice to feel prepared for the worst

How do you like the 2010? Any regrets?

I thought it was a good deal based on the pictures. Did Vlado change out the LED in the display?

I'm not sure if you are aware of 2010 users group but if not here is the link.

https://groups.io/g/SonyICF20102001Dusergroup

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2010 was my most used radio. I picked up a lot of coast guard calls way back when. It’s just simple and intuitive. He didn’t do the light upgrade but said he would if I return it.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried Vondior analog as an alternative to Tecsun r233?

..at same price range, wondering if speaker quality is also equal in comparison

Last edited:

Umbrosoccer

Newly Enlightened
Below Is a picture of my smallest radio, the yaesu vx1r located on the right of my edc carry. It has a wide frequency coverage of 500-1700 kHz plus 76 - 999 MHz (cellular blocked), which includes AM BC, FM BC,and public safety. Sma adapter to bnc on it which helps with quick antenna connections. i've been a licensed ham operator since 97' and I love using my radios. I have an elecraft kx3, Ft817, xiegue x5105 , vx7r, vx8dr, ft1d and a slew of others I use.

I have a few videos online and here is one showing How I use it. https://youtu.be/RCVDUQG9hrE I remember posting in here a few years back but I forgot if there are any other ham radio operators here?

132174321_10100666526567685_9194338183833504341_o.jpg

Tom7020

Newly Enlightened
Kaito KA500 is a really nice emergency radio. It is easy to carry around in emergencies, hiking, camping, and hunting trips. Solid little radio, perfect for garage & emergency use.