Small Portable Radio's?

JACKN

Newly Enlightened
I bought this mini G-01 FM radio that seems like an improved version of Retekess PR12. I'm posting the taobao URL for the product (in chinese) below instead of my own photo as this has a video. Will remove the URL if it's not appropriate here. I'm not related to the product or site in any way.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=628546768186

Compared to PR12, this has a volume dial, separate set of up/down buttons :) and numeric keypad for freq and saved stations. Sound is just a tad less bright than the PR12 but the volume dial allows minor adjustment that sort of make up for it. A little disappointed bcos the speaker on the PR12 is truly excellent for the size. FM reception seems a little noisier than the PR12 for weak stations, and for some reason I can't receive 95.8 which is a strong local signal. MP3 sounds similar; the numeric keypad allows direct song selection. The G-01 looks superficially like the PR12, slightly bigger in size but the material seems inferior. I'm not entirely sure if it came from the same factory as the PR12. My G-01 has no logo and there's only couple of Taobao stores that carry this, so might be an early batch of the product (engineering samples ?) from the factory that is still looking for a buyer. It's a keeper for me as it has a fresh sealed battery, compared to my PR12 which I have to recharge far too often.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought this mini G-01 FM radio that seems like an improved version of Retekess PR12. I'm posting the taobao URL for the product (in chinese) below instead of my own photo as this has a video. Will remove the URL if it's not appropriate here. I'm not related to the product or site in any way.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=628546768186

Compared to PR12, this has a volume dial, separate set of up/down buttons :) and numeric keypad for freq and saved stations. Sound is just a tad less bright than the PR12 but the volume dial allows minor adjustment that sort of make up for it. A little disappointed bcos the speaker on the PR12 is truly excellent for the size. FM reception seems a little noisier than the PR12 for weak stations, and for some reason I can't receive 95.8 which is a strong local signal. MP3 sounds similar; the numeric keypad allows direct song selection. The G-01 looks superficially like the PR12, slightly bigger in size but the material seems inferior. I'm not entirely sure if it came from the same factory as the PR12. My G-01 has no logo and there's only couple of Taobao stores that carry this, so might be an early batch of the product (engineering samples ?) from the factory that is still looking for a buyer. It's a keeper for me as it has a fresh sealed battery, compared to my PR12 which I have to recharge far too often.

Thanks for the review Jackn, the G-01 looks interesting.

My Retekess PR12 is still holding up after two years but I really do not listen to often. When I am home I have moved to the dark side of the radio world and listen to my Amazon Echo Studio when I am in the mood for music or international broadcast. I'm still impressed with the sound quality especially given the price and size of the PR12.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah thanks for that JACKN and welcome to this madness!

Funny how that ad in your link shows two different radios in the pictures. 🤪 I still really like my PR12 but I use it mainly to listen to MP3's and it's a fine little radio. Amazing sound for something so tiny.

My one regret with these tiny radios, and I'm a big fan, was purchasing the HRD-737 multi-band radio. To me it was worthless. Didn't do anything exceptional or even average. I even read several reviews on Youtube after purchasing it that it was a dud. Live and learn!

JACKN

Newly Enlightened
> Funny how that ad in your link shows two different radios in the pictures. 🤪

Oh, that is common on Taobao (China equiavalence of Amazon). The seller can offer options such as colour variation for a product, but often put up related items instead i.e. Option 1 - mini radio with numeric pad, Option 2 - mini radio without numeric pad, etc. Consequently, the buyer reviews and quantity sold are mix together for two different items on the same product page which is a plus to the seller if a new unknown item is put up alongside a bestseller item. Caveat emptor !

I did more MP3 tests on the G-01. MP3 on PR12 sounds slightly better using the same volume on both devices. I'm not sure how PR12 does its magic 😍, whether it's the casing/chamber design or some digital sound processing, but beats on the PR1 sounds more distinct, with more oomph. G-01 is also pretty good by itself. PR12 needs that volume knob !

When i extend the G-01 antenna with a length of wire, it can receive FM95.8 just fine. So perhaps some internal interference within the radio ? Not impressive for a FM radio ☹️

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked this in another thread here and hope it's applicable here but is a dedicated Internet Radio worth getting? I have apps downloaded into my iPad Mini 4 but the commercials are over the top! Can an Internet Radio play without commercials?

PhotoJim

Newly Enlightened
I asked this in another thread here and hope it's applicable here but is a dedicated Internet Radio worth getting? I have apps downloaded into my iPad Mini 4 but the commercials are over the top! Can an Internet Radio play without commercials?

Whether there are commercials depends on the feed you use, not on the software or hardware you use.

Alas, it costs money to stream audio (licensing fees, bandwidth costs, data centre costs).

There are commercial-free Internet stations out there (e.g. CBC in Canada) but few with music will be free.

JACKN

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

While this thread is in low ebb, would like to introduce this Tecsun-hosted forum I came across while researching fm radios in chinese. Google Translate did a pretty good job in translating the posts though there are the inevitable hit and miss:

https://bbs-tecsun-com-cn.translate...x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=ajax,nv,elem

The forum is naturally focus on Tecsun radio but with fair bit of side topics from China radio hobbyists like mundane radio manufacturing details (casing, soldering details, etc) and parts (radio knobs, capacitors) from the ground of the world factory, and miscellaneous musings on china radios, countryside photography etc.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not related to Tecsun nor the forum. Being chinese but not from China, just thought I would share radio info here from another community that I have access to, in return for that drawer full of small radio receivers that I inexplicably owned after encountering this thread many years ago :)

Last edited:

ledbetter

Enlightened
Recently purchased a CCrane am/fm radio because it's advertised as being able to bring in distant am and fm stations, and my sangeans weren't doing so well lately.
Glad to say the reception is much improved. Build quality and sound are not as good but that may be my choice of a cheaper model.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am occasionally using a Tecsun pl-660 with a Sangean brand wire reel antenna to listen to SW. Usually listening with Sennheiser HD600s, not the inbuilt speaker. But in Germany I mostly just receive the big stations, mostly China radio international. Much more interesting SW game in the USA. One can always use a WebSDR.

For info regarding short wave see: https://www.short-wave.info/

Dont even get me started on subspace radio...
WindyGlitteringDikkops-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Umbrosoccer

Newly Enlightened
I may have already posted this but if I did it was ten years ago, if you can spend $500 for a flashlight you can spend $500 for a lifeline to the world. It is small, will run on AA batteries or 12v DC, Is handheld and completely self contained. You get AM, FM, Shortwave, all modes, all bands and if you have a license you can transmit. It will even do 4 watts on CB with a slight modification. It will do VHF and UHF, an amazing radio. It is the Yaesu FT-817 and has recently been upgraded to the new FT-818. Everyone should have one. Used they are $300-$500, you can get the new FT-818 on sale now for $569.69, almost $100 off the regular price.

I know it sounds crazy but just take a minute and look at what it can do, as a matter of fact I defy you to find something it doesn't do. Any questions feel free to PM me, I would love to help you decide, you may even end up getting your ham license so you can transmit. I know it's only 6 watts but that is what you want in an emergency. It can listen almost anywhere and thats what you will want in a SHTF situation. An all in one wonder box, small, light and runs on AA batteries.
i know its been awhile but i have the 817 original and aside from lack of a dtmf keypad and direct entry, it is a fantastic radio for the price. used ones go for about $400 nowadays and the 818 for about $639. The icom 705 is also another good radio that has digital and a waterfall display as well as ssb on 2m and 70cm. i dont have this as i have a elecraft kx 3 fully loaded and a kx2 fully loaded. If youre loaded with money id recommend the kx 3 fully loaded if you can find it for about $1400 or so used. Also for something portal and somewhat resistant to light water sprays, the Kenwood th-f6a for about $210-300 used would be a good investment for a tribander portable 2m 1.25 and 70cm with wide band barn doors open rx. it can also do ssb as well. The newer kenwood th d74a is a beast that can do ssb as well but now theyre going for $650 plus used when they used to sell new at 450. These are not budget friendly radios so not for everyone obviously nor do some of their speakers sound great. The value is having a radio with in some cases precise controls and the ability to transmit. Ive posted last year about ham radio and its a fun hobby and swling is the perfect bridge and definitely shares a good amount of interests. Some other models of radios that can be okay for strictly outdoor use in rainy weather are the vx 7r and maybe the vx6r. Those dont do ssb but the usual am fm sw frequencies plus vhf and uhf as well and have preprogrammed memories for wx marine and sw stations. i plan on making another video review of some of my ham radio stuff and comparing the sw listening experiences.

Umbrosoccer

Newly Enlightened
I recently acquired a kenwood Th-F6a. made a short video on it about its reception of ssb and uses on am fm broadcast bands. I find it a unique radio for its size and capabilities.

Umbrosoccer

Newly Enlightened
Nice professional video!
Thanks. I'm working on a few more and will do comparison videos on the radios. Based on experience Id recommend the following,

1. A dedicated receiver, like the techsun pl 660, 330 (minus bugs) sony icf 7600g (gr) if the capacitors work, cc crane skywave ssb ( ultraportable and great).

2. If you want more of a hybrid as in Transciever with compromises (-HF rigs) Kenwood th-d7a (super expensive for an ht but UHF-VHF and digital with APRS) , Kenwood TH F6A (see video above) , Vx 7r (very rugged, but no ssb and not sensitive for SW unless using external tuned antenna) , Vx1r (Am BCB and FM along with 2M VHF and 70cm UHF wide band rx too.) , Vx3r (decent pocket radio for SW, AM and FM, 2m and 70cm) , and the FT1DR ( AM bar internal antenna like the th f6a, AM FM vhf uhf and wide band rx plus fushion digital and great speaker sound for small radio, no ssb though)

Additional thoughts: For good pleasurable listening experiences, the Dedicated reciever route is a good way to go if youre looking to be portable. If youre looking for size effeciency with Transmit capabilities while sacrificing fidelity and a few reciever options, then a portable ham radio would be best with wide rx.

If youve got the money to burn, an Elecraft KX3 will offer superior control options if its fully loaded. Only issue is the thing should of had a much better speaker. Speaking as a mountain topper op, its sub par and i use an alexmic for audio which is much better.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all of your posts and they are great but sorry, I wish I could understand all of what you're saying.:( :).

I've never understood S.V. radios as why would one want to tune into multiple stations all over the world that speak languages that one doesn't understand? I've never understood the attraction and please excuse my ignorance.

I started replying to Bill's starting this thread years ago as I wanted a way to find out about the latest and greatest AM and FM sensitive radios as I live rural and wanted sensitivity. It progressed into radios that have S.V. that I don't understand and don't care for their complexity.

It was fun for awhile when radios were including high sensitivity and other features like BT and micro cards.

Again, thanks for your contributions to this thread but some of the early great contributors are now gone and to me this thread has run it's course like everything in life.

PLEASE contribute if you may!

JACKN

Newly Enlightened
I took a chance while shipping a bunch of stuff from Taobao in China to get this small tabletop radio (link below) also, based on the buyers' feedback. It's not really a small portable radio, but a very small tabletop bluetooth mp3 radio with built-in battery in a faux wood casing.

Sangean has a line of small wooden tabletop radio that are highly regarded and costs more. This is China's cheap weak version. For what it costs me (150 yuan, about 24 USD, before oversea shipping), the sound is amazing, more like my bookshelf speakers but softer of course, and better than all the radio i owned. FM (no AM/Shortwave) reception using the analog dial (no station memory) is good, i live in the city with strong FM signals though.

I assume the roomy cabinet contributes to the expansive, easy listening sound. If so, I much prefer this boxy form over the portable radio format going forward; i have no need to bring a radio out of the house anyway. Time to swap my drawer of small, portable radio for boxy tabletop radio, and look for a long discussion thread on small, boxy radio... 😆

The listing below is from AliExpress. I hope it's not the same shop where i bought mine from Taobao. My unit has a long cosmetic crack on the top edge of casing but not worth shipping it back to China. I find it decent value for the great sound. The dial turns easily and it generally works as expected. Look great too, if you don't examine it too closely. The casing is mdf (or plastic?) with wood texture sticker lamination. It may still fall apart in a few months time, or maybe not. Taking a chance there, let see 🙏

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goodbye thread! You've been a wealth of information over the years and also caused me to spend a lot of money. :mad:😄. It's been a good ride but like they say, nothing lasts forever.

I'd like to also say, there's been the greatest guys contributing here and thank you for all your generosity and knowledge.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Trouble in my area is the airwaves are packed. An analog radio is seemingly best for picking up the stronger stations, yes. A digital dial helps when trying to capture signals from distant FM stations but the experience is hit or miss due to so many other stations using the same frequency.

Where I live is in between 4 distinct metropolitan areas. So say 96.1 for example has 3 stations blasting my way. It's a crap shoot which one wins at times.

In the 80's I was all in on radios since there was a distant station I liked. And my favorite radio was a Sony walkman that could really snag some signals and choke out the (nearby) ones I did not want to hear. I suspect it was the headphone cord playing a role doubling as an antenna.

When Rush died I no longer use an AM radio beyond traffic and weather on the 10's.

scout24

Flashaholic
Byk- Not that I need another hobby, but I occasionally have fun "DX'ing" with AM radio. Smallest receiver practical, stock antenna, trying to pull the farthest signal I can listen to clearly, even if it's your traffic and weather. Currently using a Sony SRF-39fp from ebay. Eady to get into Canada or chicago from here with no external antenna depending on the hour of the day... 😁

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I work nights my local AM station reduces output so I can grab stations from New York better than local channels.
I can listen to Ghost to Ghost from Minneapolis or traffic and weather from who knows where. "Slow going on 33" at 2am……good gosh, they have traffic jams at 3 in the morning? I'd hate to have to commute there at 8 am.

I bought a Sony ICF-P26 am/fm radio to play talk radio while nobody is at home to keep the talking birds happy. I read if it's too quiet they get depressed. They like having company. Reason they talk is to socialize with other animals they cannot see. Right now I'm near them so they are quiet. But if I leave their sight they begin talking. The kids get a big kick out of the parrot saying "achoo" in my voice and "bless you" in the wife's voice. My bird (named Maglite) screeches at times and the wife's bird Rudy says "shut up Maglite" lol.

Maglite lets me know when somebody is approaching the house or comes in the back door and he begins hollering to tell us we have company. Rudy makes door creaking sounds. They live a long time so when their owners died and the family didn't want the hassle we adopted them.

Anyway that little radio picks up surprisingly well with fresh aa batteries. On FM it's about as acurate as to be expected from a small dial radio where a slight twist of the dial and you get static. But the AM is stellar at picking up distant stations, even in daytime.