Small Run of SHORTY Bodies Available Now!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd buy an 18350 Alpha if it was available as a complete light. I don't expect it ever will be.
Correct. The Alpha Shorty Body is a custom accessory sold only for use with a complete Alpha flashlight.
That's great, what about my chances of scoring one of these shorty tubes?
I been waiting for a year and a half maybe now and nothing yet .... I hope soon or at least planned
I will ask Jason if they are on the RADAR ;), and update when necessary.

Here's some historical information. Alpha Blue Label Custom lights were put on hold 11/30/2014. The Alpha Shorty Tube's are individually crafted based off of previous Blue Label designs/requests. The last run of these sold out in Dec. 2015. Since the last time these were made, there have been changes in the marketplace. The first was the introduction of the Higher Powered ICARUS led driver, and it's increased importance of battery requirement safety and need for the specific A&W 18350 cells safe output. Following this evolved a worldwide supply chain problem getting the A&W cells, for a short period of time. Now following that there have been newly added IATA shipping restrictions on A&W cells which have made affordable shipping of small stock orders very costly for distributors, small businesses, and consumers alike.

Below is Jason's first post from when these were sold last on the old web site during the new site's transition.
The Alpha Shorty Tube's safe use is dependent upon the required use of the A&W 18350 IMR cells quality, capacity, and output.
I too look forward to another possible run.
GL
Hi all,

I get a lot of requests for "shorty" bodies for the Alpha. Typically they are special-order-only but I've decided to make a small run of 10 pcs for each finish: blasted & polished, stone washed, and full brushed. The shorty body is about 1" shorter than a full size light. It also requires a special battery. Details are on my site. Please read everything before you order! There are some important details you need to know.

Oh and these are "body only," not complete lights.

jdboy

Enlightened
According to several tests the Aspire 1100 18350 shows to be more than adequate for use in any Alpha (Icarus or original driver) using a short body tube. I have one in mine now and it seems to work great. If I didn't trust in the testing I've read I wouldn't recommend this but a couple of the tests are from extremely reputable sources.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks @got lumens.

i would really appreciate letting Jason know there is a interest on the shorty bodies. Been wanting one for a while.
Thanks. He is aware ;). I'll grab one too if they come back.

Alpha Shorty Tube IMR Type Cell(Battery) Requirements:

The ICARUS driver drawing a maximum of ~3.4A off of an IMR 18350 800mAh capacity cell equals out to about 4.25C of current the cell needs to deliver to be safe to use. Most regular secondary Li-Lion chemistry(ICR/NCA/NCR) types of cells can only deliver ~2C of current safely. An IMR type cell is required to power the Alpha Shorty Tube. IMR type cells require special operation and care to overcome the lack of a protection board that regular protected cells have that help prevent an unsafe condition of an over charged, over dis-charged, or a directly shorted cell state.

According to several tests using the Aspire 1100 18350 shows to be more than adequate for use in any Alpha (Icarus or original driver) using a short body tube. I have one in mine now and it seems to work great. If I didn't trust in the testing I've read I wouldn't recommend this but a couple of the tests are from extremely reputable sources.
18350 IMR cells are a specialty item only marketed to enthusiasts. It is recommended to invest the needed time researching a compatible IMR type cells to use safely with an Alpha Shorty Tube. Do not use unknown, unmarked, bulk, un-branded, Experimental, or economy branded cells in a Shorty Tube.

INR(LiNiMnCoO2) Lithium ion nickel manganese cobalt oxide's technologies are not standardized formulas, or recipes. They can vary greatly between different manufacturers that adopt different levels and metal content combinations that changes the chemistry balances and it's capabilities within each of the different cells. This is an evolving technology that changes when manufacturers discover an advancement that changes the characteristics and chemical combinations within the cell. Until otherwise changed, INR type cells can not be recommended to use in an Alpha Shorty Tube due to older manufactured versions of INR type cells danger that will occur if accidentally used in an Alpha Shorty Tube by mistake.

Jd's research above and Aspire 18350 1100 INR cell show it's capabilities of a constant discharge rate of 10A. Please exercise extreme caution, Aspire 1100 charge current is only rated at ~0.5-1C, far less than most high discharge capable cells. The manufacturers cell type description is INR, however the cell's specification tests appear to mirror that of an IMR type technology. This could be Aspire has created a new INR/IMR, or Hybird blend, that deserves a needed new type description of it's Li-Lion chemistry creating a new class of known types. Or it could by a simple translation error from the manufacturer.
Thank You Jd for your research. My thoughts are it's a new evolving hybird cell chemistry mix that should be reclassified. They just advanced the cell to the Aspire 1300. Advancing cell designs will continue. It is unclear if this will or when drive the addition of a new cell type for the Alpha Shorty Tube.

It is best to stick with quality IMR chemistry type cells as recommended.
The Aspire 1100 cell may have what it takes, but it's listed Lithium technology type has not been approved for use at this time.

Below is some historical information about Li-Lion cell type categorization, and a description of INR type and why they have not been a safe/compatible cell technology to use with any Alpha flashlight.

repost from batterybro:

This table shows current 18650 battery chemistries and their abbreviations:

Long-form nameChemical abbreviationName format 1Name format 2Name format 3
Lithium manganese oxideLiMn2O4IMRLMOLi-manganese
Lithium manganese nickelLiNiMnCoO2INRNMC---
Lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxideLiNiCoAlO2 ---NCALi-aluminum
Lithium nickel cobalt oxideLiNiCoO2---NCO ---
Lithium cobalt oxideLiCoO2ICRLCOLi-cobalt
Lithium iron phosphateLiFePO4IFRLFPLi-phosphate

The above Table is not viewable on all platforms. Click Here

Here is information found on batteryuniversity 's website about INR/NMC cells charateristics

Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide: LiNiMnCoO2. cathode, graphite anode

Short form: NMC (NCM, CMN, CNM, MNC, MCN similar with different metal combinations) Since 2008

Voltages 3.60V, 3.70V nominal; typical operating range 3.0–4.2V/cell, or higher

Specific energy (capacity) 150–220Wh/kg

Charge (C-rate) 0.7–1C, charges to 4.20V, some go to 4.30V; 3h charge typical. Charge current above 1C shortens battery life.

Discharge (C-rate) 1C; 2C possible on some cells; 2.50V cut-off

Cycle life 1000–2000 (related to depth of discharge, temperature)

Thermal runaway 210°C (410°F) typical. High charge promotes thermal runaway

Applications E-bikes, medical devices, EVs, industrial

Comments Provides high capacity and high power. Serves as Hybrid Cell. Favorite chemistry for many uses; market share is increasing.

Last edited:

jdboy

Enlightened
As always, a wealth of information, thanks. Hopefully there are some good alternatives to the AW Red 18350 on the horizon.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checking in to see if there was any updates on the shorty bodies.

As always thank you Prometheus lights for your great lights! Alpha working hard.

bluemantra

Newly Enlightened
Are these being released regularly or sporadically? I'm looking for the stone wash finish, but is sold out. Not sure if I should wait or settle for the blasted finish. No problem waiting if there is some regularity of releases. Can anyone provide some information.

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Are these being released regularly or sporadically? I'm looking for the stone wash finish, but is sold out. Not sure if I should wait or settle for the blasted finish. No problem waiting if there is some regularity of releases. Can anyone provide some information.

I think you should contact him directly. He hasn't released anything Aluminum since the Pandemic started. He's been releasing most delta lights and recently ready-made delta is listed to product page. So I don't know if he's focusing on the delta lights or He's just low on aluminum bar stock material to make more Alphas light/shorty.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Alpha Shorty Stone Washed, Brushed, and Blasted are all Blue Label finishes that can be signed up for notifications of in stock status individually.
Before Covid Jason released the Classic Shorty and Classic Shorty Triple.
That was also when the last Alpha Shorty body run was.
They do happen periodically when they can be scheduled.
Due to Covid, the shop is now working split shifts, and material/parts suppliers
lead times have significantly increased.

I think you should contact him directly. He hasn't released anything Aluminum since the Pandemic started. He's been releasing most delta lights and recently ready-made delta is listed to product page. So I don't know if he's focusing on the delta lights or He's just low on aluminum bar stock material to make more Alphas light/shorty.
Jason did release several aluminum Alpha light variations several weeks ago when the virtual Blathering took place.

bluemantra

Newly Enlightened
There was also a recent release of most Alpha lights and some Delta lights. I was able to grab an Alpha in stone wash

Latest posts