small single mode AA

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
What all's out there with a late emitter, ideally tailstands & a little smaller than the romisen rc g2. Peak logan 17500 without the qtc would be great, but hopefully less expensive than that.

Head twist operation without a clicky would be bonus.

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Given all the responses you've received in the past week, it looks like you're overwhelmed with choices ;) If you were looking for a AAA light it would be easier, but I don't know of anything in a small 1AA light that meets all of your criteria. Presuming diminutive size and 1AA format requirements are firm, here are a few options (admittedly all compromises):

1) Get a multimode twisty with no memory that comes on in medium or high mode first -- depending on what lumen level you're looking for -- and ignore the other modes.

[For example, Fenix LD15, 2 modes, 117 lumen high comes on first... downside is it's only an XP-G, but perhaps it will be updated at some point?]

2) Get a multimode twisty with an emitter and build you like, and mod the circuit to be single mode. While I have not done this myself, in reading others' accounts, it doesn't sound like rocket science for certain lights if you have a soldering iron and a steady hand.

[L3 L10? Foursevens Mini if you like cool white?]

3) Get an affordable twisty host you like, and have a new LED\driver installed (not sure what this costs, might be 'spensive...)

You've been at this flashlight thing a lot longer than me, so I'm not presuming that this was a eureka moment for you, -- but given lack of responses thus far I thought I'd give it a shot. Curious to hear your thoughts and if you've found any possible solutions since your previous post.

Last edited:

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
...I thought I'd give it a shot. Curious to hear your thoughts and if you've found any possible solutions since your previous post...<snip>

Good reply. I felt bad leaving the OP hanging, but couldn't think of any suggestions myself.

While negative replies (such as "Don't know why you would want that in the first place.") should be avoided, I think we should be as friendly as possible on CPF and as many of us reply as quickly as we can.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Yeah, the single mode thing is tricky... on the one hand, many of us got into flashlights starting with single mode lights (remember when AA Minimags were the best thing ever?), and I've been carrying a Thrunite TiS on my keychain for a while. But when you start looking at RECENT 1xAA lights with new LEDs from reputable companies,... they're all multimode and/or clicky.

My first thought was going with something simple like a JetBeam BA10 (single mode if you don't twist the head), but it's a clicky and not especially small, and doesn't have a new emitter.

My next thought was a DIY project like this: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/1642

Anywho, it's not an easy request to fulfill.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have a favorite older twisty that nails all of my preferences, but now it only flicks on for a half second when I install a battery, & that's it. It would be great to be able to restore it with something nice like a 219b, but idk what is broken in it if that would even be possible if I could. And yeah there are a few single mode AA's on dx & fasttech. It looks like the closest contender is this one...

29vfm8g.jpg

http://www.dx.com/p/tank007-e07-ha-...gclid=CJHcvcTupL8CFe4F7AodegcAnQ#.U7SotkAr51Q

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited: