Small Wave of SunDrop XR-U **SOLD**

McGizmo

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Interesting note: the Aleph 2x123 battery tube I just bought has the ring of metal behind the O-ring that seals against the head, and the head seats against that ring, so there's already a precedent for that part of my re-design.

I guess I failed at trying to point that out in a post above. Yes, there is a hard stop in some of these and without the spring as you suggest, it can be dicey having two stops need meet at the same time. I intentionally reduced the diameter behind the O-ring so that the only collision would be that of the battery tube contacting the ground plane of the LE (or LM if it were an incandescent). This may be new and fresh for you but some of us have a number of years involved with the E-series and its geometries.

fyrstormer

fyrstormer

Banned
What can I say, I've always learned best through experience. :duh2:

It's definitely true that getting two stops to meet at once is tricky (and in the case of one stop being movable, it's impossible in some cases), which is why I suggested the spring as a workaround. Come to find out Surefire's been doing that for years, which I suppose is a measure of validation. I guess I picked up the vibe that a spring-contact would be undesirable for some reason; I dunno.

A

AlecGold

Enlightened
What can I say, I've always learned best through experience. :duh2:

Would you be so kind to experience the making of a prototype that follows the design principles as you've made clear in this thread??

As I tried to make clear before, the sprng that you envision will push the LE out of the desired focus when you put the Head on the body.
And even a realative easy solution of a head on a head in which the first on contains the LE and the second contains a lens is almost impossible to get right.
Let's say the you can't expect to succeed where surefire most likely have put 1000's of hours of research into and not have come up wit a product they deemed good enough to sell.
But I'm a curious feller, so I would like to see your ideas on paper. If you would be able to make a drawing in autocad, I can look into them and use my mechanical machine parts prototype engineering experience and help you further with it. If you use the standard/conventional drawing rules with a regular cut-through view, two or three cross views, left and right side view, it would not be hard to point out the possible problems, suggest design changes and get into prototyping.

Last edited:
fyrstormer

fyrstormer

Banned
You know, I just might take you up on that. All I have to do is learn how to use my copy of AutoCAD. :ohgeez: It was an unfortunate but understandable oversight in my college curriculum as the overall goal was, after all, software design not mechanical design.

Where can I find specs for the E-series standard?

A

AlecGold

Enlightened
There are no official specs, so get an E1B and get measuring with a vernier caliper :)