smallest 1 x cr123 light?

cy

Flashaholic
ARC LS and ARC LS first run is the shortest 1x 123 light that I'm aware of. shorter than Firefly, which was made from Larry's original designs.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
I was gonna snap a photo of a Seoul LED with a couple of wires soldered on and handheld to a CR123 battery. Definately the smallest 123 light, but not very practical :grin2:

d1dd1

Enlightened
Yeah I have one of them and have 2 more on order :popcorn:

The original version sucked about 1,2A from a protected , fully charged 3,7V Li-Ion cr123.

I don't know the total runtime, but it gets really warm after 15 minutes of continuous use.

Driver and reflector isn't glued so I changed the driver + LED to a multimode Q2

All in all a great, easy modable tiny light

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take it from somebody who has been around for a while.
In this hobby you get what you pay for.
If you buy crap from DX you will get crap from DX and it will take a long to get it.
Stick with known brands and local custom flashlight makers. Local (USA) dealers are much easier to deal with if you are unhappy.
Lets face it. If you buy a drop in from DX and it is crap (which it will be) you aren't going to deal with sending it back to CHINA or HK or where ever they are. not for a $10.00 deal.
I wouldn't and don't. Buy from Lighthound or just about any of the domestic dealers.

There are so many deals which are attractive and really too god to be true. Most are when it comes to DX.

Look around for the Jill lite these are very small lights as well as the lights from ORB in the uk.
Yaesumofo

Consider the Romisen RC-C3. It may not be the smallest or lightest, but it is bright, has a nice tint and beam pattern (OP aluminum reflector), and is remarkably well made for only $13. It can tail stand, and a spring prevents battery rattle.:thumbsup:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3360

Zot

Enlightened
The Fenix P1 is the smallest one that I have. Nice regulated bright beam.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
Unfortunately australia does not have many local sellers of flashlights, and the ones that we do have they're extremely overpriced.

For me buying from DX or kai is a bit of a paint, but it's the same pain as buying from anyone overseas.

Quality wise, you're right. you get what you pay for, but you have to bare in mind, not everyone has the budget for big brand flashlights, and these sort of shops are a good option who those of us who like the hobby and dont want/can't spent that much money.

If you buy crap from DX you will get crap from DX and it will take a long to get it.
Stick with known brands and local custom flashlight makers. Local (USA) dealers are much easier to deal with if you are unhappy.
Lets face it. If you buy a drop in from DX and it is crap (which it will be) you aren't going to deal with sending it back to CHINA or HK or where ever they are. not for a $10.00 deal.
I wouldn't and don't. Buy from Lighthound or just about any of the domestic dealers.

There are so many deals which are attractive and really too god to be true. Most are when it comes to DX.

Look around for the Jill lite these are very small lights as well as the lights from ORB in the uk.
Yaesumofo

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened

Yaesumofo

Tell me how many DX/KD lights have you owned so far. I just don't think of you as a typical customer of DX/KD. You should take that as a compliment.

- Vikas

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
Let's not start a war over this.

Yaesumofu is clearly not a dx/kai fan, as I've seen from his previous posts, (specially his reply to my first post when i joined cpf, that almost made me run in fear)

But again, live and let live, to each his own.

Let's keep the thread in course and keep discussing on the smallest CR123 flashlights.

I have already bought one as i stated in a previous post in this thread, but I think that I'm probably not the only one who finds single cr123 lights a little too big for pocket use, so it might be worth to keep discussing and see if we can find the needle in the haystack.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened

Yaesumofo
Let me get this straight: Firstly, you state that buying something from China or Hong Kong is not worth it b/c the stuff they sell is too cheap (in price and quality) to deal with if there ever was a problem. Then you do a 180 and suggest looking at the ORB from the United Kingdom? Huh? :confused: They're both overseas. And who says that stuff from DX is too good to be true? I just bought a $10 6P drop-in from DX and it has breathed new life to my crappy "domestic" surefire 6P. $10 may seem, at first, to be too good to be true, but it wasn't. It was well worth the $10. It has exceeded all of my expectations. In fact, they sent me a free replacement b/c the first one was damaged during shipping. And I didn't even have to return the original damaged drop-in. How's that for customer service? Why not try purchasing from DX before slamming them. Give them a chance.

Secondly, according to this forum, DX does sell known brands such as Romisen and Ultrafire. Many people are happy with them.

Finally, what exactly is domestic? Is that the US? Your definition of domestic would be different from someone who lives elsewhere. You're only assuming that "aussiebuddha" was from the US. He may well be from Australia (hence "aussie") which is much closer to HK than UK.

Aussiebuddha, why not look for a AA or AAA light? I like my Fenix L0D Q4 but only wish it was a rear clicky :D

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
I'm from australia, yes :)
so dealing with US sellers generally takes longer than with Asian ones.

Regarding the flashlight, I bought a Liteflux LF2 which should be on the way in the mail, or probably being played by the customs here in Sydney. but besides that, I always wanted to have a light cannon in a small package, and the only way to get that sort of power would be 123s or 14500, i'd think

With 14500 batteries.. for some reason the flashlight manufacturers never seem to care much about the size, hence they all end up as thick as a 123 light and longer!! so no good :-(

I think the only other choice would be a RCR2 light? but there doesnt seem to be many of those around unfortunately.

Cheers to all

Marduke

Flashaholic
Let me get this straight: Firstly, you state that buying something from China or Hong Kong is not worth it b/c the stuff they sell is too cheap (in price and quality) to deal with if there ever was a problem. Then you do a 180 and suggest looking at the ORB from the United Kingdom? Huh? :confused: They're both overseas. And who says that stuff from DX is too good to be true? I just bought a $10 6P drop-in from DX and it has breathed new life to my crappy "domestic" surefire 6P. $10 may seem, at first, to be too good to be true, but it wasn't. It was well worth the $10. It has exceeded all of my expectations. In fact, they sent me a free replacement b/c the first one was damaged during shipping. And I didn't even have to return the original damaged drop-in. How's that for customer service? Why not try purchasing from DX before slamming them. Give them a chance.

Secondly, according to this forum, DX does sell known brands such as Romisen and Ultrafire. Many people are happy with them.

Finally, what exactly is domestic? Is that the US? Your definition of domestic would be different from someone who lives elsewhere. You're only assuming that "aussiebuddha" was from the US. He may well be from Australia (hence "aussie") which is much closer to HK than UK.

Aussiebuddha, why not look for a AA or AAA light? I like my Fenix L0D Q4 but only wish it was a rear clicky :D

I wouldn't get too riled up over the brand fanboys who only know how to sing one tune, and are tone deaf to all others.

+1 to a bright AAA light. It may be just a tad longer, but a AAA light can be about HALF the actual size (volume) of a CR123 light.

For me, the slimmer form is MUCH more pocketable.

rolling

Enlightened
My Hyperion CR-E is quite small. But I dont have the exact messurements on hand. A bit smaller then a Fenix P1D.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Yeah I have one of them and have 2 more on order :popcorn:

The original version sucked about 1,2A from a protected , fully charged 3,7V Li-Ion cr123.

I don't know the total runtime, but it gets really warm after 15 minutes of continuous use.

Driver and reflector isn't glued so I changed the driver + LED to a multimode Q2

All in all a great, easy modable tiny light

Please provide the details on the driver and LED swap. I would like to get my hands dirty with such a mod. Also let me know when you get the 2 more in your hands. DX/KD has bad habit of changing their suppliers.

- Vikas

cv3po

Banned
I wouldn't get too riled up over the brand fanboys who only know how to sing one tune, and are tone deaf to all others.
+1 to a bright AAA light. It may be just a tad longer, but a AAA light can be about HALF the actual size (volume) of a CR123 light.
For me, the slimmer form is MUCH more pocketable.

+1 on entire post.

Not everyone can afford every "ultimate" semi-custom light to come around. I WOULD like the Nautilus but that is the only cr123 light that has interested me in awhile. With led's getting better and better (as well as rechargeable technology) it is now common for AAA and AA lights, often single cell lights, to compete head to head with cr123's. AA and AAA's are also available in lithium primary form for even better performance and all of the lithium benefits. As far as the smallest 123 light, many of the lights already recommended are within fractions of an inch of each other........not enough to notice in the pocket. Now it comes down to what you want it to do and how much you can pay for it. And despite some elitist opinions, there is nothing wrong with DX etc.....they offer decent (sometimes very good) lights for a superb price. Good place to try out different things!

Zot

Enlightened
Try Fenix-Store. Shipping is included in their prices:

That means for those of you who are international customers,
there are not extra charges from us period. Yes, thats right,
FREE international shipping!! But please allow 1-2 weeks for
international orders as they are shipped by airmail.
Unfortunately australia does not have many local sellers of flashlights, and the ones that we do have they're extremely overpriced.

For me buying from DX or kai is a bit of a paint, but it's the same pain as buying from anyone overseas.

Quality wise, you're right. you get what you pay for, but you have to bare in mind, not everyone has the budget for big brand flashlights, and these sort of shops are a good option who those of us who like the hobby and dont want/can't spent that much money.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
+1 on entire post.

Not everyone can afford every "ultimate" semi-custom light to come around. I WOULD like the Nautilus but that is the only cr123 light that has interested me in awhile. With led's getting better and better (as well as rechargeable technology) it is now common for AAA and AA lights, often single cell lights, to compete head to head with cr123's. AA and AAA's are also available in lithium primary form for even better performance and all of the lithium benefits. As far as the smallest 123 light, many of the lights already recommended are within fractions of an inch of each other........not enough to notice in the pocket. Now it comes down to what you want it to do and how much you can pay for it. And despite some elitist opinions, there is nothing wrong with DX etc.....they offer decent (sometimes very good) lights for a superb price. Good place to try out different things!