So Cal Get Together - Saturday December 15th

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I lit my "new" one for the first time, and after half an hour it went into "strobe Mode." I've run the older light considerably longer without seeing that! :shrug:
There were many pics taken, but none by me. I didn't see a ramp for the 5 south when leaving and had to get out the GPS. :green:

Larry

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry I took the first sign that said 5 south, crossing the line of cars for the Festival of Lights, only to find it closed, so we had to turn around and go find los felis blvd.

Balcony12

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for a great time everyone!! What a blast!! The tank light was amazing. The blitz/osram and the barnburner were shockingly bright:faint: Thanks for making a newb feel so welcome:grin2: Oh, and the green laser is working fine now:twothumbs Turns out, the laser unit itself was a little loose, causing a bad contact on the spring. I just stretched out the spring a tiny bit and success:naughty: Even with the dead battery it's shockingly bright:thinking: Nice raffle gift:twothumbs Thanks again to whoever brought it, I can't remember for the life of me:stupid: See you all at the next one:nana:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and the green laser is working fine now:twothumbs Turns out, the laser unit itself was a little loose, causing a bad contact on the spring. I just stretched out the spring a tiny bit and success:naughty: Even with the dead battery it's shockingly bright:thinking: Nice raffle gift:twothumbs Thanks again to whoever brought it, I can't remember for the life of me:stupid: See you all at the next one:nana:

I'm really glad you got it to work, because I was feeling like a doosh, having donated a non-working item! I swear, it worked fine at home!

I wished I could have arrived a little earlier, when there was still light, but we were all running late (my guests and I, from three separate directions), and then there was no parking at the mall, anywhere, so after crawling through the parking structure for a while, I found a spot in the neighborhood across the street and ran (literally) to the food court, only to find that the rice wasn't even ready. By the time we got to Crystal springs, there was a bit of traffic, and when we got to the merry-go-round stop sign, the guy directing traffic said the park was close and didn't want to let us drive that way. He told us to go ask at the ranger station, and after not really getting any good info there, we just decided to drive through, regardless of what the traffic man said.

I saw a bunch of cool lights, including bunches that I've been wanting to check out without (or before) buying. For me, the Fenix T1 was a major winner along with that new Terralux 3 Seoul (or Cree?) droppin (the $100 one). That Terralux is much, much brighter and better (beam characteriestings) than I imagined. I'd say that it's worth the $100 price tag.

Thanks, to whomever donated the Battery Station Batteries, which is what I chose. I've actually been meaning to buy some--now I don't have to.

It was a good night, although it did start to get extremely chilly at the end! After leaving, we drove through the Festival of The Lights, which is something we've never seen. If you ask me, it's really lacking in splendor, for having such a huge line of cars wanting to see it.

Let's see those photos, John!

Last edited:

namelessone

Newly Enlightened
It was a lot of fun at the get together, this is John, I was the guy taking the pictures. I figured it was such a fun time, I would join the site:twothumbs

Well I got some pictures of the event.

First CPF written with the freebee keychain lights.

The next set is Larry's beautiful tank light
[URL="http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0083bz2.jpg"][URL="http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0086ao5.jpg"][/URL][/URL]

I believe that was the best group photo, but if you guys want, I can post the other semi blurry ones too.

I have some more random ones of us playing with the keychain flashlights if you guys wanted to see them.

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
John, welcome aboard CPF, and a pleasure to meet you. Thanks for the "warm and fuzzy" prior to heading for the sack waay past my bedtime!! :) Please post a few more!

Larry

Balcony12

Newly Enlightened
More Pics!!! I love it!! Oh, and trashman, this laser is bright! I cleaned up the switch and other contacts with some progold, got the paint out of the threading, and it's easily 10X brighter than it was when I first lit it. I can't wait to see it on a fresh cr2. Thanks again!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am so bummed I couldn't make it!!
My back went out the other day and I have been suffering from extreme pain ever since. Guys who are in extreeme pain are no fun to hang out with no matter how many lights they bring to play with.
Next time...
Thanks for the heads up Mr Ted Bare!!
Yaesumofo...Til then.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was fun... I want to thank Matt at Battery Junction for sending these

batt_junc.jpg

the photon keychain lights were great party favors, and the terralux dropin was fantastic. I also thought the OLIGHTS got a lot of attention

Thanks to the The Fenix Store for sending these

fenix.jpg

Checking the prices, that 4in1 pack is a great deal. Heard a couple guys say they were panning to buy the T1.

Larry's AVNS3 was great; perhaps next time BVH can make it with his 60" (yes, size does matter). I was impressed with JetskiMark's colleciton of hot wire mods

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was fun... I want to thank Matt at I was impressed with JetskiMark's colleciton of hot wire mods

JetskiMark is one sick CPF member and I mean that in a VERY good way
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. The things he has been doing to old "vintage" lights is amazing. His Blitz mod did a good job of spanking the Barn Burner. The Barn burner could nearly match it for throw or flood but not both at once. That best part the Blitz mod is that it is so light.

Special Thanks to the Following.

The Fenix Store- light loaners
Battery Junction - light loaners & Key ring lights that were used as table lights before they were given out.
Mr Ted Bear- for hours & hours of prep for this event & coordinating the loaners.
Trashman- for bringing extra raffle prizes, I forgot mine & thanks to you my son & I could participate. I have been having a blast with the UV LED :D .

Attendance seemed to be adversely effected by the Festival of Lights. Several people came late due to problems getting past the nearly endless line of cars. Others left before the photo due to the cold.

I must say that I really liked the inexpensive Leatherman and Streamlight lights that Mr. Ted Bear brought.
The food was great and there was LOTS of it.

My son and I ended up being stuck in the line to the festival of lights when I made a wrong turn. It was cute, but not worth the 45 minute wait and we started at the midway point of the line :hairpull: .

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, that was fun. I still don't know who donated the Mag set to the raffle, but THANK YOU. John, the pictures look great. Thanks to everyone for making this possible.

BVH

Flashaholic
I would rather have been at the meet than at my live nativity in Moorpark but alas, I was "shining my flashlight" so I was, none the less, happy! Seems ironic to me that my most used "work light" while on my jobs is my Drako. So I use the smallest flashlight to help me light the biggest flashlight. My N30's come in a close second.

Are we thinking somewhere around March for the next one, as we did this past March?

robo21

Enlightened
I would rather have been at the meet than at my live nativity in Moorpark but alas, I was "shining my flashlight" so I was, none the less, happy! Seems ironic to me that my most used "work light" while on my jobs is my Drako. So I use the smallest flashlight to help me light the biggest flashlight. My N30's come in a close second.

Are we thinking somewhere around March for the next one, as we did this past March?

March sounds awesome. I will definitely plan on being there early even though there will be no "Light Festival" to create traffic congestion.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked into Vasquez Rocks as a possible new location just north of Los Angeles. It requires insurance, a use permit, and ranger overtime. All of this is doable except they absolutely close the park at 10 pm. They recommended Castaic Lake which I haven't checked out yet. I'm trying to locate a place that stays open well into the night, and where big searchlights won't cause a problem.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Low Batt, good thought, Vasquez Rocks. I lived in Agua Dulce for 14 years. If possible, and hopefully, no one gives me a hard time for this, I'd really rather not drive on dirt roads. Gravel or road base is ok but i'd have one heck of a cleaning job to do on my light rig - inside and out after driving on a dirt road. And I might get stuck if it's soft - no 4-wheel drive.