• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

So Don, what's next?

JohnTz

Enlightened
Now that the LunaSol program has been a great success what you got up your sleeve next?:poke:

I am looking forward to expanding my McGizmo TI collection:twothumbs. I only have three lights and judging by the pictures in the other thread from the other members, I have a long way to go to catch up.:faint:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
John,

I have some plans in the works and in various stages of completion. If my comments were only to those interested as potential users, I could be more forth coming like times gone by here on CPF. However since windows of opportunity can be closed quite quickly by other parties in the market it seems best to keep the cards close to the vest until it is time to play them. I have mixed feelings about this and I realize that it is a disservice to some members of CPF who might best be served with a good idea of what might be coming up so they could make decisions accordingly. :shrug:

Although I felt I had a good handle on the LunaSol 27 program it ended up many months longer in vapor than I had anticipated and this with allowances for Murphy and his tricks; or so I thought.

Most of my designs require electronics which I have sourced exclusively through Wayne. As I have stated numerous times but perhaps not often enough, without his support and supply of his creations, I couldn't have made these lights. I have programs in progress now which have been designed around his converters but at the moment I don't know if or when I might be able to expect these converters. There is a level of uncertainty here which I hope to alleviate, one way or another soon. :shrug:

Beyond concept, design and assembly, I outsource for the components, be they stock LED's or custom machined parts and electronics. The outsourcing is beyond my control ultimately and I need to work with vendors who are straight forward and precise with open orders and projected deliveries if I am to be successful on a critical path from concept to fruition. Communication is critical and updates imperative as changes arise.

In the past, there were times and blackouts with the machine shop I use. In their own right, they went through some significant growing pains and relocation of their facility. They have acquired new and quite sophisticated machinery which in itself disrupted their production schedule. It seems things are settling down for them now and certainly the quality of parts I get from them has been for the most part beyond just satisfactory. There has been a learning curve for them in regards to alloys, sources for the Ti and the actual tooling and machining process. It seems from my end that they have learned well.

I have components on order from them now which have not been shared here on CPF yet. Some require electronics and other components which I don't have yet, and some don't.

The short answer to "What's next?":

Well, that will depend on what I have available to me and what I can complete and offer. At present, I have a partial assembly that is near completion and was originally slated as component for a complete light which now seems to be quite a ways off still. This assembly is of such a nature that I considered offering some of them as components by themselves, to you guys. Right now it would seem that there is a good chance that this will happen because I can likely replenish these before the complete light could be assembled anyway.

There will be a wave of Dumb Mule heads for the SF L1 when I get the new can I have ordered for these heads and make up the assemblies. I have no ETA on these. Sorry.

IMHO, there is an acceptable amount of vapor time on a project but if that time extends, it sucks for all parties concerned.

JohnTz

Enlightened
Don, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate your decision to stay quiet and I totally understand it after seeing what some people are doing to Peter concerning the new Arc-LS. Thanks for the clues you did share. I look forward to your products as they mature.

best,
John

Nebula

Enlightened
John,

snip, snip. . . There will be a wave of Dumb Mule heads for the SF L1 when I get the new can I have ordered for these heads and make up the assemblies. I have no ETA on these. Sorry.

YES! :twothumbs :D
drool.gif
:candle:. Here's hoping that these will be available in Black and Bare Al.

KK

iconoclast

Enlightened
Aside from the new items that you can't talk about yet...
back when the LunaSol27 was still vapor that wouldn't quite condense, you had suggested that some Ti S27-PDs might trickle forth. Any chance these are still in the works?

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,

snip, snip. . . There will be a wave of Dumb Mule heads for the SF L1 when I get the new can I have ordered for these heads and make up the assemblies. I have no ETA on these. Sorry.

YES! :twothumbs :D
drool.gif
:candle:. Here's hoping that these will be available in Black and Bare Al.

KK

I could not help myself but to think you must be one lucky dude to have Black Surefire L1`s and Bare ones for that matter...
:nana:

Im guessing they will be Nat.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Aside from the new items that you can't talk about yet...
back when the LunaSol27 was still vapor that wouldn't quite condense, you had suggested that some Ti S27-PDs might trickle forth. Any chance these are still in the works?

I was committed to the LunaSol program and initially I had 100 sets on order which would be the basis of the first waves and I could then decide to go with an additional 100 sets if the interest was there. I had an outstanding order for 50 more of the S-27 sets. The LunaSol 27 program ran into some problems and it was clear that it wasn't going to come out as originally planned. I was concerned that building demand would result with the 100 sets not being enough for some decent availability time and I decided to switch those 50 S-27 sets to an additional 50 sets of LunaSol 27's. I could always reorder more S-27 sets. Well my plans turned to wishful thinking as it turned out and additional setbacks as well as some new ideas and designs were enough to put me in a state of confusion which I am still in, frankly.

I can't plan a wave until I know I have every component on hand or coming in and there is a critical path which is often disrupted yet must be followed to completion. "My kingdom for a horse." Well I don't need a horse but if I am missing an O-ring, window, little screw, converter, LED or any one of the components, I can't complete a light.

At present, I have a few lights planned out and in the works but additional Ti S-27PD's are not among them. I need converters for these planned lights and I don't know what the ETA on them might be. It seems they could be out into the future for a few months and maybe even longer. Wayne has been my sole source for converters and at present, he is quite busy on his own and my converters don't represent a priority to him which is certainly understandable. Frankly, my wants and needs have caused some serious damage to my business relationship with Wayne. Although it is possible that I could consider doing another run of S-27PD's, this would require an additional request for yet another run of converters not presently accounted for or in the works. A run of S-27 PD's can't be considered at this point. I can't even consider another run of LunaSol 27's at this point in time.

It seems I need to sit back and hope for the best on some of the programs I have in the works and focus on some other areas where I can use existing or reasonably available components and make some complete assemblies which I can then offer. To some extent, I can be flexible and change plans due to the modular nature of some of these designs. I have some near complete assemblies which were to be part of a light in the works but I will be offering some of these in an alternate plan and application, as is, later this week probably. It seems clear now that I have time to replace these assemblies with a new order of them and not delay the original light anymore than it is already delayed. :thinking: :shrug:

If these comments don't provide a clear understanding it is likely due to the fact that I have composed them poorly and certainly due to the fact that I have not provided a complete picture as I have withheld some information and plans. "No comment" would have been more comprehensive to the reader but not very enlightening either. CPF is an interesting realm where interaction among members and communications don't follow a typical business format because heck, this just isn't typical business here!?!

I felt the question asked deserved an answer beyond simple "no". Additionally, in trying to explain the situation, I also have a chance to perhaps better understand and learn from it myself.

At this point, I would like to suggest that we leave the question of what's next to future threads where instead of talking about vapor, I can show you some hardware.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are an inspiring and remarkable person, Don. At least as seen on this forum. :)

Although perhaps the Speedo pic would have us see a little too much inspiration. :nana:

seattlite

Enlightened
There will be a wave of Dumb Mule heads for the SF L1 when I get the new can I have ordered for these heads and make up the assemblies. I have no ETA on these. Sorry.

Hmmmm....what LED will you be using? Isn't the the L1 head E-series compatible? If so, we could also use this on an L2.....or any E-Series body for that matter....yes, yes....there is the Vf, 2A, etc. issues...but it could work?

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this point, I would like to suggest that we leave the question of what's next to future threads where instead of talking about vapor, I can show you some hardware.

:thumbsup:

iconoclast

Enlightened
If these comments don't provide a clear understanding it is likely due to the fact that I have composed them poorly and certainly due to the fact that I have not provided a complete picture as I have withheld some information and plans. "No comment" would have been more comprehensive to the reader but not very enlightening either. CPF is an interesting realm where interaction among members and communications don't follow a typical business format because heck, this just isn't typical business here!?!

It all makes sense. Your previous comments explained well why you didn't want to divulge partially realized creations before they were ready, but since the S27 wasn't a new design (and had been mentioned as possible candidate for a near future wave) it seemed like a fair follow up question. I'm sorry to hear that your plans and designs (old and new) are in such limbo from all of this. Hopefully it'll work itself out.

I felt the question asked deserved an answer beyond simple "no".

Thank you.
Whether it's deserved or not, it's at least appreciated.

We'll be looking forward to exactly that. :)

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Thanks for the update but more importantly thank you for the considered and thoughtful way in which you conduct your communication and sales. It is unfortunate that you cannot be as open as you would like but the reasons, I suspect, are understood by the majority.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Will there be a wave of aluminum LunaSol 27's for the flashaholic with a smaller wallet? :grouphug:

cqbdude

Enlightened
Damn people....why dont you leave the man alone...:nana:

After the hassles encountered with the Lunasol project..and the hard work he put into to developing and actually getting it out to you people..
Dont you think he deserves to take a little vacation in some nice island in the pacific?

Wait....he lives in some nice island ...nevermind...back to work for you Don..:D:poke:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to bet that this is not going to happen.
It has been asked in the past regarding other Ti projects. The bottom line is that while they are less expensive for us to buy. the time that Don needs to invest in the light is the same. Like it or not there is more return on invested capitol when Don makes these lights in titanium.

I was very pleased when Don released the aluminum aleph mule program because there was no way I was going to buy one in ti Just too much dough for me at the time.

I really am with you on this. I would love to see this light in a slate black anodized aluminum.
I have learned that if I want to play with the titanium that Don makes I may need to be ready to give something up.
IN the end lights like the Lunasol in their limited numbers hold their value (better than aluminum versions would) they end up being good investments because a year or two down the road that light can be sold and you can take that dough to buy the latest thing.

The fact is that the Lunasol is all but impossible to get now.
Yaesumofo

Don,

Will there be a wave of aluminum LunaSol 27's for the flashaholic with a smaller wallet? :grouphug:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny. I see that some people haven't had their lunasol 5 days and they already want to know what is next.
OK this is a Broad generalization and may not even be true. BUT I figure that we may want to give Don a break. After all he has just completed what amounts to the culmination of months of work.

One thing I know for sure is that Don will make something cool for us sooner of later.
Each of the titanium flashlights I have acquired seem to have built on the design and build experience of the previous light they all seem to be better than the light that came before in terms if the refinement of the design as well as the actual finished work. Hell have a look at the details on a Lunasol the machine work is very fine. I know Don does not make the parts but in the end he manages the whole project. If the machine work was not up to spec I am sure it would be rejected.
I would guess that what is next is a long wait until the next major program becomes available. Sit back and enjoy the products of Don's labor for a while. I hope we will be rewarded with something great!!
Don's stuff is cool and getting cooler.
Yaesumofo

Now that the LunaSol program has been a great success what you got up your sleeve next?:poke:

I am looking forward to expanding my McGizmo TI collection:twothumbs. I only have three lights and judging by the pictures in the other thread from the other members, I have a long way to go to catch up.:faint: