so I got this UV-Led light, and ...

Cobweb Hunter

Newly Enlightened
Re: What good are UV flashlights?

Thanks to all of you for your input!
I guess I'll have to buy one sooner or later...

...and a cat.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use mine to check for animal urine in the house and to check motel rooms and use it when cleaning my house.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

GarageBoy said:
What's the proper wavelength for human and pest wastes?

That depends on how much fiber is in there diets! LOL

Illum

Flashaholic

different UV lights have different applications....:candle:
UV leds come in different wavelengths.. :thinking:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enlighten me, what good is UV?

Ultra Violet, what are some of the uses? I cannot think of any. Kind of cool to have it?

X Racer

Enlightened
Re: Enlighten me, what good is UV?

Authenticating money, finding pet urine on your carpet, spotting scorpions....

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool. that answers that question.

I got to have one. Any recommendations for one with 2 or 3AA?

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

One CPFer wrote me about tests he did with a powerful custom HID light with a narrow UV filter (EDIT: UV pass) -- a UV 'throw king'. This light with a normally invisible beam was for hunting humans and would cause the residual phospates deposited in clothing by modern detergents to fluoresce at surprising distances.

A light that wouldn't reveal your position that can light up someone's Nike's as they run away from you a block or two away would be cool. :D

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
what now?
bought it for no reason
(hmmm, thats wrong, I wanted one, that is a reason, right?) :)

Interresting what lights up in UV,
but unfortunately the spiders here in my bedroom are completely cloaked.
Had hoped they light up under UV, because some time ago I heared thats how certain ppl catch scorpions.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings! I started this original UV thread back on 4/14/03, and since the bewitching season is rapidly approaching, I thought I'd pop back over to my old CPF haunt and see what was up. I'm happy to see that this thread is still active.

In recognition of the occasion, I dug up my old original purple Photon II to repeat my early "olive oil" experiment. I took 2 different bottles of olive oil into a very dark room, pointed the UV light close to the sides of the bottles, and in both cases the olive oil turns a blood red. For some reason, it doesn't work if you point the UV light up into the bottom of the bottles while still looking a the sides. Only the directly reflected light from the olive oil is red. I wonder why that happens??

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
There's something cool about having a source of light that's invisible. I was immediately intrigued the very first time I heard the term "black light."

It opens up a whole new world - minerology, criminology, biology and several other "-ologies." It's almost like viewing a parallel universe, something that's been there all along and we never knew it. I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking for new surprises with black light.

tankahn

Newly Enlightened
Invisible Pen

http://img.tradekey.com/images/uploadedimages/products/5/4/154819-20060315124154.jpg

Just to share with you. I found this uv pen/flashlight in a candy store. The owner told me children loves playing with them and they are only a dollar each. It come with 3 batteries. The led is bright enough for a dim lighted room and serves as mini flashlights. It will fluores bills. Boy scouts should find them fun for scorpion hunting.

ja10

Enlightened
I don't post here really often, because normally everyone says what I was thinking and more. I did have one thing to add here that I don't think was touched on directly.

Here is why I bought my UV light. About 10 months ago I had my motorcycle stolen, parted out, and put up on eBay. I had thought before of taking a UV marker and putting a special serial number all over the bike, since the only parts with a VIN are the frame, engine, and transmission. I didn't get around to doing it though, and the situation turned into a real mess trying to prove that the motorcycle was mine. It took a TON of circumstantial evidence and several lies by the seller to get enough for a warrant. It would have been a lot easier if I could have simply told the cops to buy one of the pieces and light it up under UV.

After that happened, I did finally buy a UV light and security marker. My TV, stereo, and anything else of value has a combination of my birthday, SSN, and place of birth that only I will know, and will only make sense to me.

If something like this happens again, it will be a lot easier to point at the TV in the pawn shop and say, "THAT'S MINE!!".

ja10

Enlightened
I got it at xenopuselectronix.com

I think it was $5.75 including shipping. If you Google for UV pen/marker, you will see a lot of options. I bought this one just to play around with and experiment. It has worked fine, but while it is permanent, it isn't quite "sharpie permanent". For example, if you wrote "hi" on the outside of you cell phone and carried it in your pocket for weeks on end, it would probably rub off. If you wrote something inside the battery cover though, it would be there forever. My plan on marking my next motorcycle is to either find something like a UV paint pen, mark an area that wouldn't be exposed to the elements, or put a thin coat of sealer over the writing.

For general marking on items that aren't constantly being rubbed or getting rained on, it works great.