So I Think The NiMH AAA Cells I Just Bought Are Mismarked LSD.....

S

s0lar

Newly Enlightened
The only way to find out wheter or not they are lsd is to let them rest for a year, better even 2 years.
If you don't need them, you can do so.

Lynx_Arc

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The only way to find out wheter or not they are lsd is to let them rest for a year, better even 2 years.
If you don't need them, you can do so.

shouldn't take that long to tell, 3-4 months and even the lowest self discharge non LSD cells drop around 50% or more while LSD cells may drop 5-20% at the most.

S

s0lar

Newly Enlightened
As tested https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212883 after 60days both the regular high capacity and the eneloop lost only about 11%.
It would be even more unreliable if the cell has had only a few cycles, then one would not even know for sure the available capacity right after charge.
Perhaps try storing them 2 months at higher temperature and then do a test.

Lynx_Arc

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
All I know is what I have experienced and read here. I have some 2300 energizer nimh and 1500mah generic AAs and varieties of AAA nimh plus I have rayovac hybrids and duraloops and I have found that after about 3-4 months I have to recharge the non LSD nimh cells while the LSD once I only recharge when I have used them up. I put less stock in just testing cells on battery analyzers than using them in devices and seeing what happens myself. It is possible I am finding the 50% rate on some cells at 6 months instead of 3-4 but none of the non LSD cells I have had much left in them after a year of not being charged.
basically my advice is to just use them and if they work fine then you don't need LSD cells for your application. Most folks are switching to them for two reasons, they tend to be more reliable and for devices that you don't use up a battery in less than a week or so you don't have to charge them before using. I have some things before they made LSD cells I went ahead and put alkalines back in them because I would use them for 5 minutes once every few months and when I had nimh in them they would be dead half the time and I would recharge them and put 10 minutes use per recharge when alkalines would last for years under the same usage. I then put LSD nimh in the same devices and now don't have alkalines in half as many things.

Last edited:
P

paulr

Flashaholic
1000 mah and LSD in an AAA cell is not achievable with present technology, I think. Better just stick with eneloops, which are rated 800 mah.

S

s0lar

Newly Enlightened
The more batteries you own, the less you will use and the more batteries you need to refresh because more are left stored and not used.
It's better to own less batteries and just use the ones you have.
LSD cells have the advantage that they keep their capacity, even after months of storage, so if one would have a lot of LSD batteries, they need lees time conditioning them.

P

paulr

Flashaholic
Another possibility occurs to me: your cells might be outright fakes, cheap no-name cells with counterfeit Ansmann labels. That happens all the time with cellular phone batteries. Where did you buy them?

Z

Ziemas

Enlightened
Another possibility occurs to me: your cells might be outright fakes, cheap no-name cells with counterfeit Ansmann labels. That happens all the time with cellular phone batteries. Where did you buy them?
I bought them at K-Rauta, which is a branch of the Finnish conglomerate Kesko, which means that they were bought at at a reputable dealer, and not at the market place or some rinky-dink corner shop.

Oddly Anasmann never answered my email about the cells. Not cool.