So long Photobucket

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
ok... it seems the imgur backup/download account image is taking a loooong time (or it's not functioning)... :hairpull: decided to roll my own...

aAZPp0M.png

designed to play nice with image host, grabbing images one after another and saving to local designated folder and optionally save as original uploaded filename if available...
i think I'm done now... gonna delete my account @ photobucket soon... it's been quite a "memorable" journey... :nana:

Update 2017-07-15
MigrateFromPB version 1.0.7
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1dqugi5bgocbal/CheckSum.txt?dl=0 (link is external)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4u2qamyfx6q3tz/MigrateFromPB_v1.0.7.zip?dl=0 (link is external)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdan7pj82h3aj4e/MigrateFromPB2ImgurImageShack_v1.0.7.pdf?dl=0 (link is external)

Bug fix imgur migration as it will choke when 2 original file name are the same. No issue for ImageShack as I forgot to apply the fix to imgur when I fixed the ImageShack migration back in v1.0.3. :p
Added new Backup Images function as I was unsuccessful when trying to backup from imgur.
Reference the checksum.txt to check the authenticity.
documentation updated.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh snap... it's gone??? I better go check the few reviews I've done on CPF as the images are all probably broken links now.

edit: Seems like it's for hosting very large image-filled accounts they are now charging literally hundreds of dollars. Guess they just want Imgur to completely take over lol. I understand paid hosting... but 400 dollars is ridiculous for even 99 percent of individual users.

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody posted this simple fix on another forum.

I figured out a workaround for photobucket. Put ~original at the end of the url and it works for me.

photobucket.jpg~original

Could be helpful for anyone that wants to fix their broken pics without having to reupload them. I'm sure photobucket is a sinking ship though, so I don't know how long that will last.

John.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Finally got swatted by the idiots over at Photobucket. I may consider no longer posting the pictures because imgur may follow the similar path Photobucket is taking right now in the future, so I will just cut my losses. Unless CPF starts hosting image itself (the only way to prevent the images from suddenly disappearing is to actually store the images on the hosting server).

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dumped PB and have been using postimage.org. Free and has been around for a while. Easy to use. Example below.

And the problem is that using any 'free' service leaves you at the mercy of it being withdrawn, at any time. Fool me once....

Even when you pay you are not safe. I've been a Photobucket subscriber for many years (needing the extra bandwidth), and they are pulling the plug on my subscription at the end of 2018, at which point I'm free to take up the $400 one - thanks.

At least I have some breathing space to start self hosting and migrating higher priority images, but this is now consuming a lot of my time that would otherwise be spent testing and writing.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not used Photobucket for years, I stopped using it when they first started asking for money.

Today i got my first email from them in long time asking if i had forgotten my password.

Hello John ,
We've noticed it's been a while since you last accessed your account, so we're dropping you a line in case you've forgotten your password.

John.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Yea. I been paying photobucket for years as have so many message board photos. Without the ability to host pics on various places there is no reason to use Photobucket. They're slow, often down and the mobile app didn't work to post pics last time I tried. It was horrible. I opened a imgur account but not sure how to post pics from it. I will be migrating my images off photobucket but still wonder if they won't get cold feet as people leave in droves. No one to see their advertising and no paid subs cuz few if any would be willing to pay 400 for what is bad service. Unless the collapse in activity would make the service more reliable. Then maybe a small percentage would stay.

Woods Walker

And so it has started. Deleted my Aeros pillow review (coming soon) pics from PB and put them on imagur. Will copy my gigs of pics from PB to an external HD (have most saved anyways). Will keep my paid subscription on PB for till I can either find a way to migrate and fix the holes or if they decide to kill um (despite me paying them for years). Or maybe PB will decide to stop with their longer term suicide. This way I won't leave the forum administrators with tons of holes in the forum overnight. Also if there should be a photo request I could honor that on a case by case basis if I can't do a mass fix. One pro to also doing Youtube is those videos should remain the forum. That's the best I can do....

Last edited:

Woods Walker

I got this E-mail from Photobucket.

Are you worried about your account?

Don't be! All of our Plus Members are grandfathered in for 3rd Party Hosting until the end of your current subscription. However, if you want to beat the crowds and upgrade to the Plus 500 now, we'll give you six months on us!

Worried about cost? Rest assured, the price will be prorated depending on your subscription!

Translation. We want you to pay 40 bucks.... don't worry about that cuz we will hold off till your current paid sub is over....not sure when that date is. Also there are no "crowds" to beat or they wouldn't be trying to entice me to stay. This has only reinforced my decision that I should be worried and leaving is a necessity. Probably not the response they hoped for. I don't even trust them to keep their wild price increase stable. What's next? 100 dollars a month just to post pics on message boards?

edit.

Found this in their terms of service.

ANY PAYING MEMBER WHOSE PLUS ACCOUNT WAS IN GOOD STANDING AS OF JUNE 1, 2017, SHALL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE ALL THE PHOTOBUCKET SERVICES THAT WERE AVAILABLE TO HIM/HER ON SUCH DATE, INCLUDING IMAGE LINKING AND 3RD PARTY IMAGE HOSTING, UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2018 AS LONG THEY MAINTAIN THEIR CURRENT PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION OR A HIGHER LEVEL PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION DURING SUCH PERIOD OF TIME.

Kinda funny them offering me 6 free months when my current sub applies for nearly 6 months.

Last edited:

Latest posts