So this is what the general public buys...

Ualnosaj

In this case, I can't comment whether the one sold is better than worse than Surefire because I haven't even touched it. However you need to understand Surefire, despite a good brand image in the flashlight community, I believe it does not fit the mainstream well. Mainly due to its exclusive use of CR123 of battery. So we're not really comparing apple to apple here. Imagine telling an average consumer "For the good flashlight (the one aobve sold at a premium), each battery is $2 and for the great one (Surefire), each battery is $10.", guess which one they're going to get?

I know you can get cheap CR123 batteries on ebay blah blah. But that is not yet the mainstream. Makes sense?

If you want to blame, then you can blame the consumers themselves for not doing to research and blame Surefire for not having a big enough customers base to hit the critical mass necessary for it be worthwhile for them to do marketing campaigns to educate the consumers of what's good and what's not.

Yes except in this case the presented light in question uses 2S CR123A :)

berry580

There are blister pack 18650 of unknown capacity as well. What a price premium for being off the shelf...

4ac609a8-0dfa-3a92.jpg

The packaging is pretty though. Add in the costs of marketing and liability insurance and $100 later it's on the shelf for general consumption.

Yes except in this case the presented light in question uses 2S CR123A :)

Edit: I feel really dumb now. 6V is 6 volts and 500L is 500 lumens. It makes perfect sense now, it couldn't possibly be 2xC cells.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

I looked at the Bass Pro website and the light can take a rechargeable battery but does not come with it. I could not find the battery listed on the site.
My guess is the light is worth $60 - $80 USD. Bass Pro is buying the light for about that and doubling the cost for their markup. Maybe triple cost mark up.

My first emitter type flashlight was a Cabella's. I think I paid $60 or so.
No way would I have paid more for it than a Surefire. It was a good light for the price at the time. It was one of my "gateway" lights.
If the general public is comparing the lights value by lumen output, maybe the home brand light will sell. Hopefully Bass Pro will offer a no hassle lifetime warranty for the light.

berry580

Well things happen, Lou Minescence. I still remember being ripped by this sales guy in Hong Kong. I bought my first 'proper' non-Maglite flashlight, a Jetbeam Jet-I MKII R for what is now equivalent to about $100 USD (unadjusted for inflation) back 3 years ago. Being an absolute flashlight newbie at the time, I was absolutely sold on this compact high power LED flashlight concept. It made all the maglites look like wangers.

Bottom-line, know what you want. Know what you're getting.