• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

So what comes next?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
pcmike,

I bought the titanium for a Ti PD27L program 3 or 4 months ago. I also bought the sapphire windows, converters and other components required. I am sort of commited to this program already. :green: I also have over a hundred PD sets in Al still to build out as or if they are ordered. I probably have over 100 27LT sets still to build out as or if they get ordered. I have a whole bunch of 1.5x 123 aleph tubes that folks convinced me were a must do.

To get the prices reasonable on an Al PD27L, I would probably need to order at least 200 sets if not more as well as commit to more converters, windows (lenses), and then it seems that people won't accept just any LED so I'll just pick some more from the Ubin tree. Hey, how about K2's? I have 250 of those I have no need for at present?

Aside from financial considerations, my biggest problem is time. It takes me the same amount of time to build an Al light as a Ti light. The margins on the Ti light are not as good but the net per unit is considerably more and I don't have to do nearly as large of a run as I would in Al. In simple terms of return on investment of time, there is no contest. I believe I posted some time ago that I needed to reduce the time spent on flashlights but that I hoped to continue to delve in Ti. I can't satisfy everybody and won't pretend otherwise. Sorry. :shrug: The interest expressed in your poll would be good numbers to consider for Ti but way too small for Al unless I want to add to my shelves and inventory and dilute my focus further. How many would want this light a year from now if I am still sitting on components? I have no idea how many will be interested in the Ti 27L which may not be a PD or a simple twisty but hopefully someday I will find out.........

I am pretty tired at present and no doubt not putting my best foot forward here. I should hold off and post later on but I have already spent time on trying to bring my thoughts to type here and your persistance has bought you comment; albeit not likely what you wanted to hear or in a very compassionate tone.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you drive a current K2 to the max, you are looking at a 7+ watt device!! It is a combination luminare/ pocket warmer. There is an at present, vapor ware light mentioned elsewhere on he forum that is a small Ti light, 1xCR123 powered and using a K2. I utterly miss seeing any advantage with this choice. :shrug: :thinking: A single CR123 will not come close to driving the K2 at max and I don't think even 2xCR123 is enough power for more than intermittent use at full drive level. The K2 puts out more heat and demands more juice than a 5W Luxeon. It could take almost twice the energy for the same light from a K2 as it would from a low Vf U bin LuxIII! Maybe I am in error here or missing something. I would love to find a justifiable use for the K2's I have!!:)

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
McGizmo said:
.... I would love to find a justifiable use for the K2's I have!!:)
I liked your shower heater/light combination idea Don, it seems to be about all they are good for!!
marc

pcmike

Enlightened
There's really no need for compassion when it comes to stating whether or not you would at all be interested in producing a certain light. It's not as if we're dating and you need to let me down easy! :laughing:

Anyhow, I tried.. thats all I can do.

McGizmo said:
pcmike,

I bought the titanium for a Ti PD27L program 3 or 4 months ago. I also bought the sapphire windows, converters and other components required. I am sort of commited to this program already. :green: I also have over a hundred PD sets in Al still to build out as or if they are ordered. I probably have over 100 27LT sets still to build out as or if they get ordered. I have a whole bunch of 1.5x 123 aleph tubes that folks convinced me were a must do.

To get the prices reasonable on an Al PD27L, I would probably need to order at least 200 sets if not more as well as commit to more converters, windows (lenses), and then it seems that people won't accept just any LED so I'll just pick some more from the Ubin tree. Hey, how about K2's? I have 250 of those I have no need for at present?

Aside from financial considerations, my biggest problem is time. It takes me the same amount of time to build an Al light as a Ti light. The margins on the Ti light are not as good but the net per unit is considerably more and I don't have to do nearly as large of a run as I would in Al. In simple terms of return on investment of time, there is no contest. I believe I posted some time ago that I needed to reduce the time spent on flashlights but that I hoped to continue to delve in Ti. I can't satisfy everybody and won't pretend otherwise. Sorry. :shrug: The interest expressed in your poll would be good numbers to consider for Ti but way too small for Al unless I want to add to my shelves and inventory and dilute my focus further. How many would want this light a year from now if I am still sitting on components? I have no idea how many will be interested in the Ti 27L which may not be a PD or a simple twisty but hopefully someday I will find out.........

I am pretty tired at present and no doubt not putting my best foot forward here. I should hold off and post later on but I have already spent time on trying to bring my thoughts to type here and your persistance has bought you comment; albeit not likely what you wanted to hear or in a very compassionate tone.