Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

phosphor22

Enlightened
Got one of each version -- I must say I really like this light. The 3200 is perfect for night when you do not want to encounter blueish tints and need a handful of lumens to light the way.
This particular 3200K also happened to hit the 3200k Yuji 5mm LED tint lottery for me. Just luck I reckon. :D

ecallahan

Enlightened
I received the 5600 version and I am really impressed so far. I then ordered a red and blue one in each (3200/5600). Great lights especially for the price.

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
The more I look at the 3200K led, the more I suspect there is something below the phospor. Upon close inspection, it seems to me that there is something red-dish below the phospor. Perhaps that explains the low quantity of phospor used to achieve the warm tint. Ideas?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more I look at the 3200K led, the more I suspect there is something below the phospor. Upon close inspection, it seems to me that there is something red-dish below the phospor. Perhaps that explains the low quantity of phospor used to achieve the warm tint. Ideas?

Or perhaps what we see at the top of the cavity is not the phosphor, but a diffusor material applied on top of the phosphor.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or perhaps what we see at the top of the cavity is not the phosphor, but a diffusor material applied on top of the phosphor.

Hmm....on Yuji's site they say/show their BC series emitters using red+green phosphors. Am I misinterpreting that or are they using red and green phospors instead of yellow and that's wh6 it has that cloudy layer, to blend them?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Mom's blue 5600K just got here earlier tonight. Man that blue is beautiful, the pictures do not do it justice at all. The clip seems fine, but isn't as rigid as my black 3200K's clip. The reflector is quite polished and the beam has a very distinct, undeniable HOTSPOT :poke: that about the same size as some of my other XP-G2/219 based AAA lights and in my opinion, seems much more usable than the beam profile on my 3200K.

I'll give more impressions once my 5600K gets here, hopefully tomorrow or the day after.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Got mine also. Both nice tints, more flood on the dimmer 3200.

I didn't realize that they don't have a lens or separate reflector. Interesting design.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine also. Both nice tints, more flood on the dimmer 3200.

I didn't realize that they don't have a lens or separate reflector. Interesting design.

congrats on your High CRI Lights!
a couple other people were suprised there was no lens, maybe because they dont know what a Fenix E01 looks like, and maybe because the photos of the Sofirn C01 are unclear..

in any case, there IS a light that uses the Yuji LED, with a lens, see this thread

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm....on Yuji's site they say/show their BC series emitters using red+green phosphors. Am I misinterpreting that or are they using red and green phospors instead of yellow and that's wh6 it has that cloudy layer, to blend them?

They mix the different phosphors together to apply to the LED, and the result usually seems to be an orangish-yellow color when the LED is not on, depending on the target CCT and CRI.

djozz

Newly Enlightened
I hardly ever visit CPF (sorry about that, I can't handle 2 forums) but enjoyed this thread about the C01.:) It is clear that the Yuji 5mm led has more of a reputation over here than on the other side.
So mine came in today. My 10yo daughter has seen the video this thread started with (and since it was in Dutch fully understood it as well). So first thing she asked was "Can I throw it?". "Uhm, yes you can" :popcorn:. So she tested it out a bit. Also took it with her in the bathtub. It's waterproof for sure. So great little light added to the collection. Might have to order another one... or two or ...
I'm truly sorry that my (8 yr old) son has taught your daughter how to behave violently against flashlights :whistle:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today. Took 18 days. Not bad. Build on the light seems great. No way this is high CRI. color rendering on mine sucks IMHO. Tint is very blue. Oh well, it was a curiosity purchase. Not like it was going to knock my Aeon MKIII or rev. 4 Maratac AAA brass out of my pocket. I'll find a use for it I'm sure.