Software of choice ?

Chicago X

Enlightened
Can the experienced machinists please offer up some recs for 2D and 3D software ?

Free, intuitive, and powerful would be excellent attributes - but I'm a bit more realistic. :whistle:

I have downloaded the 2D software to which Barry linked, but have not installed it as of yet. I was hoping beyond hope to find a 2D/3D suite that would cover all bases.

All opinions/experiences welcome, thanks. :thumbsup:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Can the experienced machinists please offer up some recs for 2D and 3D software ?

Free, intuitive, and powerful would be excellent attributes - but I'm a bit more realistic. :whistle:

I have downloaded the 2D software to which Barry linked, but have not installed it as of yet. I was hoping beyond hope to find a 2D/3D suite that would cover all bases.

All opinions/experiences welcome, thanks. :thumbsup:
You should really give that 2D software a try, before even considering a full 3D package. You might find that the 2D package is just perfect for your needs.

3D software is not only more expensive, but also has (in general) a much tougher learning curve. I use Alibre Design Expert, which is one of the cheapest out there, but their entry level package might work for you - again, not easy to learn compared to a good 2D package.

Will

Walterk

Enlightened
Start with 2D and see how it works out for you, because in the basics most cad software works similar.
Solid Edge seems to have free 2D cad program, but check if it is complete for your task.
The better software usually come with annual fees and a helpdesk and free upgrades. But for a bonus price...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
No operating systems have been specified.

There are many open source, free CAD aps in Linux and the BSDs. They are open source and offered under GPLs.

Additionally, there are a surprising number of Linux LiveCDs and LiveDVDs out there with CAD aps. Distrowatch.com lists over 4,000 different distros, IIRC, which may be downloaded for free, and burnt. It's handy. You reboot yer box with the new disk and try out the program. It will be pre-configured, which I generally see as an advantage when I'm trying out a program for the first time.

With LiveCDs you may try out as many CAD aps as you like, all without installing any of them to your box, or altering your normal setup in any way.

It's the ultimate in risk free.

Last edited:

Chicago X

Enlightened
Thanks very much for the replies and advice.

I have an extra box that can be dedicated to the 2D/3D stuff, so OS is less important.

I will try the 2D first, as suggested.