Solar Powered Flashlight Mod

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this solar rechargeable flashlight on the clearance rack in a local store.

solar_flashlight4.jpg

It takes only four hours of direct sunlight to charge the four 600mAh NiCd cells inside. The 6 stock LEDs were pretty dim, and didn't make for a very bright light.

I replaced the six LEDs with some 26000mcd whites. This is what the business end looks like:

solar_flashlight3.jpg

The new LEDs made a big difference and don't pull anymore current than the original ones did (~30ma/LED).

solar_flashlight2.jpg

The beam shot shows how it throws a nice broad beam of light. This will be perfect for camping; it has a place to attach a lanyard so it can hang for a tent light too.

solar_flashlight1.jpg

Here's another shot of the beam. It's a nice soft but bright area light. Not super bright, so it won't totally destroy your night vision when using it for a walk light.

Not a bad little mod for about $20.00 for the light and all the LEDs used. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a nice mod - I wonder if there are any more of those lights around ?

Of course, I might be tempted to put a Lux III in it, since I have some in the parts bin.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They had a few awhile back at the BigLots here, but now they only have some GE 2D steelbeam type lights and some 8AA 8watt GE fluorescent closet lights for $3.99 in white and blacklight.

Latest posts