Solar Powered LED Water Bottle!?!

iseethelight

Newly Enlightened
The SolLight LightCap is the world's first solar-powered LED water bottle...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif

(Okay, okay, it does look pretty cool, despite it's weirdness!)

Free

Enlightened
Thanks for the link, I just ordered one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is pretty clever. It would make a great nightlight for camping. Not sure if it beats an LRI Photon for weight efficiency, but it is kinda groovy.

Scott

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Interesting idea.... I guess it is for dieters as that is about the only way you are going to make it light err.. lite water, so to speak.

I would be concerned about how well sealed the top is as you could get the nicad batteries wet and have that seep into your water jug, I don't know if cadmium poisoning is possible but that could perhaps be a concern.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Light beverages... good one, Lynx_Arc! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I would be worried about corrosion of the batteries from the constant presence of humidity from the water, but then I don't know anything about the construction of the unit. From my standpoint though, that's a waste of a perfectly good solar cell and light! Put it in the garden instead.

iseethelight

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
I would be worried about corrosion of the batteries from the constant presence of humidity from the water, but then I don't know anything about the construction of the unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
I would be concerned about how well sealed the top is as you could get the nicad batteries wet and have that seep into your water jug, I don't know if cadmium poisoning is possible but that could perhaps be a concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like others have shared your concerns about battery/water interaction - their marketing materials emphasize that they are completely separate...

[ QUOTE ]
The solar power unit is totally sealed; in fact, it is molded in from the top (outside) of the cap so there's no possible contact with the contents of the bottle. There's also a handy waterproof switch on the cap that lets you change from the white bulb (bright), to red (preserves your night vision), or turn it off completely. You can leave the red light on all night (minimal energy draw) so you can easily find the bottle; then switch it to white if you need a light!

[/ QUOTE ]

As strange a product as this is, I have been entranced by the potential lovely lighting effect for my camping trips this summer - I just ordered on of the dang things. I'm hoping/imagining it'll draw the forest babes like moths...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

(Check out the photos of this thingamajig in action...)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
nemul said:
If I put Budweiser in it, does that make it Bud Light?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would have to have budweiser LEDs in it. You could put a fish in it and make it lighted aquarium instead. A solar powered air/cleaner system also.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe make the led uv to make the water clean?

iseethelight

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Maybe make the led uv to make the water clean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey - a practical idea!

I did a quick search, and I found a couple similar products to your suggested mod...

The AquaStar, which uses two CR-123 batteries, and the SteriPen which uses four AA's.

The solar power of the LightCap would be cheaper and allow more independent use if it can pump out enough UV power to do the job...

(Plus, you can offer the Forest Babes a safe drink...)

chanik

Newly Enlightened
We're bright as a lamp but at 5W power consumption, not very viable for more than a momentary light. We do have the side benefit of killing the bugs, however.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
nemul said:
If I put Budweiser in it, does that make it Bud Light?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's both pretty AND practical /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

uvaquastar.jpg

^^ my UV Aquastar in bug killing mode at night

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Naah. The UV Aquastar (not to be confused with the LightCap, both are from different companies and exist for different reasons) just nukes all the nasty little bugs in the water by giving them the Suntan from Hell (think: massive dose of UV). You fill it up with reasonably clear water, hit the switch to zap them for one minute and the water should be safe to drink.

Back to the point about the LightCap, the more I look at it, the more interesting it becomes. They suggested using it as a waterproof container if you don't want to drink from it. They suggested first-aid stuff, I'm thinking maybe it can double as a small BOB (Lunal_tic mentioned a small one for transportable use with just the essentials).

After looking at their photos it seems very useful for folks who are on the go all the time, who are camping and so on where every ounce counts. Notwithstanding a Surefire E2o Outdoorsman (MN02) weighing only 3.1oz - the lightcap is an extra 4.6oz, but it doesn't require batteries. Nuts like me will carry the U2 and spares anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And it's moddable - the FAQ page said that the batteries can be field replaced by those who are mechanically inclined - and they use AA NiCads. I wonder about using some high-cap 2500mAH AA NiMHs.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I bet the solar panel is basically a trickle charger. With NiMH we might be able to double the runtime, even.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I bet the solar panel is basically a trickle charger. With NiMH we might be able to double the runtime, even.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck yeah!! Modders UNITE!

Free

Enlightened
I am surprised to see the Aquastar is in a clear bottle. Does Lexan not transmit UV?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I asked the same question. Chanik told me that as long as you keep it inside the bottle it will stop the UV from coming out, and what we are seeing is the visible light/visible blue. The Aquastar has lots of warnings that say it should remain in the bottle during operation. There's some material about safety on the uvaquastar.com site, but this is the gist of it.