Solarforce L2 impressions (Cree R2 5-mode)

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened
i just got my two gunmetal L2's yesterday. i'm really happy with the build quality, except both of mine have swirl marks in the area where the logo is. packaging could use some work though- two flashlights in their holsters in an envelope, and that's it. inside the lights were the two free 18650 batteries. they have no name on them but they look like blue trustfires, and they're 3.6 volt, 2200mah rated, which is strange because the site says they need 3.7 volts. they work at 3.6 but when i put a 3.7 volt battery in they are noticably brighter- i'm wondering if i should ask them about that?

jenskh

Enlightened
i just got my two gunmetal L2's yesterday. i'm really happy with the build quality, except both of mine have swirl marks in the area where the logo is. packaging could use some work though- two flashlights in their holsters in an envelope, and that's it. inside the lights were the two free 18650 batteries. they have no name on them but they look like blue trustfires, and they're 3.6 volt, 2200mah rated, which is strange because the site says they need 3.7 volts. they work at 3.6 but when i put a 3.7 volt battery in they are noticably brighter- i'm wondering if i should ask them about that?
I think that it is the same kind of Li-ion batteries even if they call it 3.6 or 3.7 V. You should just charge the batteries up to close to 4.2 V and I guess the output will be the same.

supasizefries

Enlightened
I agree with the people saying that this light may be too nice to just throw in a toolbox and get beat up. I originally bought my L2-R2M for a beater light but just like it so much I can't bare to see it get knocked around in the toolbox. Maybe I'll buy another one to use as a beater. :thinking:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the people saying that this light may be too nice to just throw in a toolbox and get beat up. I originally bought my L2-R2M for a beater light but just like it so much I can't bare to see it get knocked around in the toolbox. Maybe I'll buy another one to use as a beater. :thinking:

Crazy, isn't it?

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
That won't work either :D

I'm considering getting a WF-50xB to use as a beater light.

I know where you're coming from there, but I kind of disagree. I used to have this attitude to my watches, ie: wear my least favourite cheap watch as a beater, but even for a beater I like to get pleasure from using it. So now I'll use cheap-ish watches and lights that I really like for beaters.

Solarforce L2's are great for this, because they're so cheap while still being reliable, attractive and a pleasure to use. It's a bit of a rut when even your cheap but nice lights don't see as much use as they deserve.

If my calculations are correct (I bought my Solarforces in UK currency), there's only about $5 between a WF-50*B and an L2 w/ R2. Go for it! Get an L2 in your least favourite colour if it helps. :twothumbs

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
Crazy, isn't it?

Sad even:eek:oo:.

My beater light is a C1 Ultrafire, it gets shoved around the floor when I'm under vehicles, thrown into boxes with tools and is generally shown little respect because if it fails I have others:laughing: as we all do. It's held me in good stead for well over a year and now has a Dereeelight 3SD in it, back to Solarforce:ohgeez:.

I don't want my Solarforce lights to develope the character, patina and generally abused look of the C1 but they're not going to be safe queens either. I've bought an L2, L2M and the lantern. What a brilliant concept and a good product. I've also got on order a 18650 extension tube and a L2-S4 tailcap. I can then start really playing.

Can't wait for that Turbo head:cool:.

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened
No they are not.

One of the ones I received had really low voltage and apparently is unsafe to use.

the ones i got are protected. i don't have a meter so i couldn't check the voltage, but they did work when i got them. my drop in's say "super bright R2". i use a tool belt at work and the L2's fit perfectly, so here's my new edc:twothumbs i just hope i don't lose these lights like i did my last two:oops:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just got my two gunmetal L2's yesterday. i'm really happy with the build quality, except both of mine have swirl marks in the area where the logo is.

WOW... I have the same machining swirls in the logo area on all of my L's and I think it looks cool! :party:

inside the lights were the two free 18650 batteries. they have no name on them but they look like blue trustfires, and they're 3.6 volt, 2200mah rated, which is strange because the site says they need 3.7 volts. they work at 3.6 but when i put a 3.7 volt battery in they are noticably brighter

Just charge 'em up :shrug: .... they work great... there is no measureable output difference in mine compared to AW protected black 18650's. :thumbsup: Getting a semi-decent 18650 pretty-much-for-free is nice! I use 'em in my beater light (see below)

Yep... as another member here, I have an Ultrafire C1 (w/Solarforce R2-M 5-mode lamp and blue 18650 cell) as my "beater light" (it wobbly tailstands too)... I take it out to the hot tub at nights where I don't care if it falls on the ground, in the tub, whatever, and use it in situations where damage is more likely. :crazy: Theoretically, that's what a Solarforce should be suited for as well... but, yes, they're just toooo nice (especially in the silvery-grey color!)! :crackup: There is a huge quality difference between the Ultrafire C1 and the Solarforce L2/L2m... :rolleyes: for the little difference in price, it's probably nutty NOT to use the Solarforce L2 as a beater and pass on the Ultrafire C1 altogether. :crazy: Oh well... if ya got the C1 already, beat the heck out of it and spare the primo L2s!

Last edited:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2's do not have an oily smell - in fact they don't have any smell at all.

In any event, the lube/coolant used during machining has been removed chemically before anodizing so the smell can't be from that.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both of mine have what I perceive to be a light oil smell.

I wiped the black one with a kleenex last night and some black residue came off it.
I think I'll try some 99% isopropyl alcohol that I normally use to degunk threads and see if that gets rid of it.

supasizefries

Enlightened
Haha, I'm glad there are other flashaholics that feel the same way I do about these lights. I'm liking this light more and more. Great quality build at a bargain price. It's the kind of light that I want to take care of but won't be too upset if I were to destroy it or lose it. I used it last night to illuminate my mother's tire while I removed a nail and plugged it. Because of the shape of the head, I could lay it on it's side on a small step ladder without it rolling off. For it's size, this light has lots of throw IMHO. I was amazed at how far I could illuminate things with it. In the future, I'll see if I can take some far reaching beam shots.

Question for people with the L2M (mini L2): What pill came with the light? I've been window shopping at the solarforcestore and all the L2M's I see have the 3.6-4.2 v pill. It'd be nice if the L2M's came with the wider range pill so I could attach the RCR123 extension if I ever wanted to run the light with 2 123's. I guess I could always get another drop-in for it down the road.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could request the wider range drop-in when you order it.

The owner of SolarforceStore seems very accomodating from the brief discussion I've had with him.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep , I dropped the 8.4 pill into my L2m as it has a much wider output level and a much lower Lo ..

Lo runs o.o7A compared to the 4.2 pill that pulls o.35A to o.4A ..
SO with a Good batt the 8.4pill should offer close to 10 hours on Lo in a mini body 1 x RCR123A 3.7v

Both my 4.2's are now in 18650 bodies . and the other 8.4 is in my 2 x 18650 Body/set up [ L2-long ] which should give around 40Hours on Lo

The 4.2 pills are brighter , as they draw over 1A , my first one draws over 1.4A , and with the right batt pulls 1.7A @ the tail end . My 2nd 4.2 is not quite so power hungry , and tops out around 1.4A :D
Not bad for R2's

Latest posts