SolarForce L2 -or- L2N

Which SolarForce should I get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoshT

Newly Enlightened
I've decided that I'm going to build a P60 light. Got all the internals and stuff picked out but can't decided which body I want. I have narrowed it down to the SolarForce L2 series of P60 hosts. Of those my favorite two are the L2 and L2N and I can't decide which body I prefer.

201307232009013.jpg

b962ae93-ba29-4b45-ae1b-b9a706bb9cac.jpg

I don't care about the head or the tail cap on either of the two I'm only interested in the body. Even though the L2N appears gray there (does to me at least) I'll be going with black on either one. Regardless of which one I end up getting I will be installing the head from an L2T and a L2P style tail cap, just the style I like. I'm just not sure which body I want, with or without finger grooves. Please take a minute and help me decide by voting in the poll.

EDIT: The poll will close on Friday 10 days from now, aka payday, unfortunately there's no guarantee that I can make myself wait that long. Will try to hold out till then, unless the poll is just overwhelmingly one sided.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, L2N all the way. I have one with a S9 tail and a L2T rouns head. Love it :)

It also rocks with the M3 head.

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
The L2N is a good choice, I have one with an S6 tail-switch and a "Bezel For Head-BLK-T-Bezel" on the head. I like the adaptability of the L2M as well.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2N in the grey finish is a very nice package.

However the L2P has HA III coating which should last longer and not show up scratches as easily, it also has a tail switch that can tail stand and won't switch on by accident in your pocket.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2N grey is very nice (I have that) but if you can swing a few extra bucks I would consider the L2P.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The extra groove on the L2N does not seem to provide me any extra grip.
Other than that, they are really all too similar.
So yeah, i would go for the HA3 L2P..

And why not consider the L2M?
You can have the option of a 18650/16340 or 18650 cell setup...
And they come in HA3 too.

- JonK

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I was on tapatalk & couldn't see the poll.

And I thought I saw L2P, thats why I chose that.
But yeah, I would go for the L2 over the L2N nonetheless.

JoshT

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I don't use tapatalk so didn't realize that the polls do not show up.

With that in mind if there are any other users of tapatalk that would like to vote please post, and I'll count it into the final vote.

Last edited:

Blitzwing

Enlightened
I prefer the N. Or the T with the flush bezel - not the extended lumen stealing one it comes with.

JoshT

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the N. Or the T with the flush bezel - not the extended lumen stealing one it comes with.

Yeah, i gotta agree that the stock L2T bezel ring is an eye sore in an otherwise pretty good host.

- JonK

That was the plan, L2T head with standard smooth bezel. I don't care.for the hex shape of the standard head, like the L2T head but not the bezel, and I do not like the spiked bezels. Have seen a head like that in the forums and it looks good.

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the L2 redesigned? it looks different than i remembered.:thinking:

i like the L2N more, although the L2 looks much better than the older version.
the L2N tailcap is sort of unique, and the smooth bezel is nicer. i also like the rectangular flat area on the body more.

JoshT

Newly Enlightened
Don't know I think a lot of it is the photo. I wanted the same angle and lighting on both. Looking at pics of the older L2, I think that they made the checker pattern more pronounced and the black color may have changed a little.

I'm kinda in the air over the tail cap. Definitely unique, but not sure if I like it. That can be changed easily enough later.

Until you mentioned it I never even noticed the difference in the logo area. It does make that body look a bit more modern doesn't it.

Damn this thread isn't helping enough, I may end up with both. :twak: :tsk: Must pick one.

JoshT

Newly Enlightened
No, I didn't know that rule, but it does sound like a good one. It must be one of those unwritten ones that the unenlightened learn about later on. I'm sure I'll buy both eventually, but for right now I need to buy just one. I'd I buy both right now, but then I don't have anything to put in either so I'd be stuck with two unusable hosts.

EDIT: I got a little too far off topic in a post that was deleted above. The deletion also took a reply that I wrote addressing the suggestions of getting the L2P or L2M, and I don't want to leave those suggestion unaddressed.

I don't care about the L2P having the HAIII coating, for me that is money I can put towards other parts. I may get the light cerakoted to match a gun and that process would remove the HAIII coating anyway. If you still prefer the L2P regardless of the anodizing, please vote for the L2 since it is visually the same.

I do have plans for an L2M "battery holder only" body, but it will not be this particular light. That is also why I don't mind buying extra parts to build the light I want, any leftovers will be used. I would prefer to keep that build out of this thread, and keep this thread on topic.

Finally, this light will be black. The gray versions don't look bad, but I prefer black. If you write in a vote for gray it will be counted for the body not the color, unless you hit the poll as well of course (not sneaking in any double votes here :tsk:).

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I see you mention you want the finish to match a gun in post #15, I will assume the light you choose will be mounted on a gun at some point. The Solarforce remote pressure switches do not mention they fit the L2N. I do not know why. That was a consideration for myself when I purchased a Solarforce host. I am not questioning your decision process for the final two host choices, only pointing this out.

JoshT

Newly Enlightened
Something like that. The biggest reason is simply because I want to. It most likely won't be mounted to a gun, but definitely carried with one and I like things matching. Yeah I realize that I'm the only one that would know they match, but still...

Its not an issue for now though cause my job prevents carrying. Hopefully I'll have a different job in the next few years, but if it's still federal the same rules apply.

Their will be a remote pressure switch in my future, but I thinking will be connected to an L2M.

Last edited:

JoshT

Newly Enlightened
One day left and no real activity in almost a week so I'm going to call it. Votes have been tallied and the L2N wins with a score of 10 - 4. Not to worry for the L2 voters I'll probably end up with one of those down the line as well, but the L2N is coming first.

erknjerk

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine today and dropped a nailbender in and I love it! Much better than the fake L2m I got stuck with.