Solarforce L2N with Malkoff 61LLL

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened
Wanted the thoughts of those that can confirm. Looking for a nice long running CR 2x123 light. I have a Solarforce L2N host and am wondering if the a Malkoff 61LLL will drop in without issues. Thanks!

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should fit fine, but cr123s will be thinner than the tube diameter and probably rattle a bit. You may want to look around for a suitable spacer for the battery tube.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will need an outer spring as well for the dropin.
Other than the battery size & rattling issue that was already brought up, u are good to go!

- JonK

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Solarforce L2N - I have one at home. I also love the Malkoff M61LLL dropin.

However, some issues:

1. Solarforce is built around the 18650. So a regular CR123 is going to rattle - you can get a CR123 -> 18mm battery sleeve from Oveready to eliminate the rattle. Or use some aluminum foil - that's what I did until I get around to an upgrade.

2. Solarforce hosts assume your LED module has a spring - in order to get a good, secure fit, you need to have a spring around the module to cushion it in the host. You could also use aluminum foil as an improvised stabilizer to cut down on the rattle.

I can take pictures when I get home, if you like.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my M61LLL in a Solarofrce L2T just the way it comes. No extra springs. I use the soda can wrap (thin sliver of the can wrapped around the module just to make one complete wrap around) to take up the little space. This also helps with the drop in making better contact. I have no rattles, and the drop in fits perfectly. I also use an 18650 battery only. You would get a little rattle using CR123's.

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all and thanks Tmedina for taking any pics. Maybe I will go the 18650 route as Im also considering a ZL 600w, so maybe the CR123 rattle issue will be a moot point. So many dropins on the mind. Do you guys see a major difference between the 61LL and the 61LLL ? Will I get better run times with either if I use a 18650? Yes...I'm a newbe with flashlights but I'm learning fast...with your help.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will get longer run times with the higher mAh 18650 batteries. The higher the mAh, the bigger the storage. You just have to be aware of your voltage. One 18650 has 4.2v's max. Two CR123A's have 6v max. The M61LLL will give you longer run times than the M61LL. The M61LL will give you longer run times than the M61L, etc. You can see the trend. BUT, with the longer run times, you get decreased light output with each of the L's added. You will still have more than enough light output, just be sure to get the module that best fits what you're looking to do. With your L2N and an 18650 battery along with the M61LLL, you will be fine. I personally think you're better off with a host that fits 18650 sized batteries, because you can always use the CR123's as well. You have battery options. The Malkoff M61 modules have a voltage range from 3.4v to 9v. You can buy a battery sleeve that will take the rattle out if that bothers you.

david57strat

Enlightened
You will need an outer spring as well for the dropin.
Other than the battery size & rattling issue that was already brought up, u are good to go!

- JonK

I have a Malkoff M361 drop-in installed in a SolarForce L2T. But, I am in need of some of the springs to attach to some of my other P60 drop-ins (They didn't come with springs), to fit some SolarForce L2 series hosts. Where can I find just the springs? I'd like to buy maybe half a dozen of them. I didn't see them on the SolarForce website.

Need more springs like this one.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a Google search for "P60 spring". You can find them sold for .66 to $1 - possibly cheaper, if you want to really hunt.

simonlight

Newly Enlightened
hi.. I need of spring drop-in for host maglite 2D,, can you help me ,where I buy ? diameter spring 33mm ...

Strintguy

Enlightened
The Solarforce heads sometimes need some help with the fit. I have a large o-ring seated against the top of the Malkoff and snugs everything up just fine