Solarforce Prices Ridiculously High?

Cotay

Newly Enlightened
So I've been using Solarforce P60 hosts for years as inexpensive weapons lights. I recently decided I wanted another and noticed that people are paying stupid prices for them on eBay ($100+). I've been a lurker here for a long time and searched, to no avail, for anything that might explain this sudden increase in used pricing. Obviously everything is getting more expensive, but these prices on eBay that people are paying just seem ridiculous to me. Can anyone explain this insanity to me?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've been using Solarforce P60 hosts for years as inexpensive weapons lights. I recently decided I wanted another and noticed that people are paying stupid prices for them on eBay ($100+). I've been a lurker here for a long time and searched, to no avail, for anything that might explain this sudden increase in used pricing. Obviously everything is getting more expensive, but these prices on eBay that people are paying just seem ridiculous to me. Can anyone explain this insanity to me?
Solarfoce is ou of busines for a longer time. Maybe this explainss it..?

WarriorOfLight beat me to it

When a business goes "out of business", what is left of their available products, can increase in value

Solarforce, overall, had many good products, at an affordable price

This has caused the value of many of their products to increase on the used market

Cotay

Newly Enlightened
Solarfoce is out of busines for a longer time. Maybe this explains it..?
Price is a function of supply and demand. You could get them used in excellent condition for $25 a little over year ago. The recent 300%+ spike suggests a more recent increase in demand. I've been following them on eBay for a few years and supply has been steady. I get notifications when they are listed. The fact that Solarforce went OOB years ago doesn't explain the sudden recent price increases in my opinion. I half expected there to be a thread here waxing nostalgic about P60s that could account for the recent trend. Maybe on another forum somewhere that has happened. An L2M recently sold for $120 on eBay. That's just crazy to me.

letschat7

Suspended
This is why I went with Nextorch when rounding out my collection on Chinese lights from back in the day.

To be fair some of these lights that are modular are worth a bit more because they can be kept up to date with 16/18 650 batteries and LED drop-ins. You get a light that can't be modded or worse has a nonreplaceable battery and eventually it is done for.

Cotay

Newly Enlightened
@Cotay It was by intention bot to justify this high prices.

If I would seek for a cheap P60 host I would check out the stuff of Kaidomain, kdlitker:
I've looked at those before and once ordered one. However, the seller on AliEx cancelled my order. I'm interested in trying to grab one again to see if it works with a Solarforce tape switch. I've also tried the Ultrafire, which I should have known would disappoint.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now imagine when a very small flashlight supplier with very premium priced products and a large fan base decides to close their doors. Get ready to move a decimal point on those prices. Human valuation of things is difficult to understand, and even harder to justify.

ragweed

Enlightened
I've looked at those before and once ordered one. However, the seller on AliEx cancelled my order. I'm interested in trying to grab one again to see if it works with a Solarforce tape switch. I've also tried the Ultrafire, which I should have known would disappoint.
Try a SUPERFIRE I really like mine!

I've seen in-stock lights sell for more on eBay than on darksucks.com.

My only explanation -
Image 5.jpg

Fuzzywuzzies

Enlightened
We ran Solarforce L2s and L2Ps until they went out of business. We still have a few left, but the light is pretty terrible compared to our Elzetta Bravos.
They were very affordable lights in their day. We used to manually pot the drop-in modules in house as soon as they arrived, significantly decreasing the failure rate!

I know a certain person with a late gold edition in mint condition - it's probably worth a king's ransom now, but she'll never sell it… :sneaky:

letschat7

Suspended
Oh yeah why don't people buy more Elzettas instead of overpaying for Surefire and Solarforce?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Even for an Out Of Business company, the prices have simply reached insane levels! Solarforce was built as the absolute Bargain Basement alternative to SureFire, back during the latter's glory days. Useful for lego-ability. Damaged your SureFire's bezel. Don't want to replace it with a costly new one from the company, buy a Solarforce bezel, instead. Wish your stock SureFire 6P had a scalloped bezel? Buy the one sold by Solarforce, and screw it on there. Cheap & useful are gone!