• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Some MC E2S observations.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
While waiting for parts to arrive for building my LE, I had lots of time to play with this switch.

I believe fine tuning, as recommended by some on this forum, is a must.

I followed cy's advise on reducing the post height with great results. Now 1/4 turn takes me from level one to level two.

Illuminated's mod on a brass cap for the spring, removed the gritty feeling when using the switch.

But the greatest suggestion was to use Teflon tape on the threads. I had tried all different viscosities of grease from
silicone to Nygel. I found them too sticky.

So I cleaned everything and removed all traces of lubricant that had gravitated everywhere, on the switch contacts and other electrically conductive areas.

I assembled the switch clean and dry and then a couple of layers of Teflon plumbers tape,just around the threads, completed the assembly.

I was left with a silky smooth switch, that could easily be used one handed and had absolutely no 'roughness in turning or evidence of 'free play'.A tiny bit of silicone grease was put one the orange 'o'ring.

Time will tell how the Teflon stands up to hundreds of turns with the switch, but the improvement is drastic.

Also, with a super clean switch, there is absolutely no flickering due to bad electrical contact, although to get to this stage, required very thorough cleaning to remove all traces of non conducting grease.

Illuminated

Enlightened
I've used the Teflon tape (cheapstuff) on many lights to eliminate bezel wobble and it works great. It seems to last quite a while (haven't replaced any yet), but it's fairly inexpensive and easy enough to replace, so I don't worry about it.

And yes, I found it to be the best single improvement on the McE2s, if I were to do no other tweaks.

FWIW - The Teflon tape I've found in most hardware or home improvement stores is super thin and tends to tear into strings when used on flashlight threads. I don't know where I got the MIL Spec stuff, but it's considerably thicker and easier to work with. I suspect it'll also last longer before needing replaced.

John

Darell

Flashaholic
I had no idea there was "mil-spec" Teflon tape. In fact, in all my years doing plumbing projects, I never knew there was much difference in ANY of the tapes. I learn something new every day! I'm glad I learned this so early in the evening so I can go to bed at a decent time tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
I'm no expert, but the house brand tape I've bought is thin and harder to work with. The better quality stuff is thicker and easier to work with, at least to me there seems to be a difference.

I don't know what the MIL SPEC rating is, but the good stuff I have is made by DUPONT and says "MIL SPEC T27730A" on the spool.

The cheap stuff is supposed to be .075mm thick (as printed on spool) but actually measures .048mm. The DUPONT stuff actually measures .075mm.

John

cy

Flashaholic
Anglepoise, sure glad you like my McE2S mod. have not tried teflon yet, because my switches are already pretty smooth with Nygel 959.

you can find thicker teflon tape at any AC supply.